LIZ

Looking to relocate to PUerto Rico

ANY ADVICE..??

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:32 AM
criollo

It ain't cheap.

Jun 28th, 2002, 12:21 PM
K

HEARD FROM A FREIND THAT HIS SON TRANSFERRED THERE LAST YEAR BUT HAS SINCE SENT FAMILY BACK AND CAN'T WAIT TIL TIME TO FINISH HIS JOB AND URN TO STATES

Jun 28th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Diana_pr77

You might try calling Relocation Services of Puerto Rico, they can help you with your questions. the num. is 787-783-4875. Hope this helps.

Jul 1st, 2002, 06:23 PM
Kristin

What kind of advice are you looking for? I've been living here since last August as my husband is stationed here. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:54 AM
beenthere

My company transferred me there -- was to have been for 5 years. Lasted 1 year. Only place my wife and I were actually sad to leave when we finally moved.
We loved in a condo in a highrise on the beach at Isla Verde. Very expensive - $2400 a month and this was 1991. Company paid 80% of rent, plus an electric allowance (air conditioning) and a cost of living adjustment. All went to making it a wonderful experience for us.
Shopped at the Pueblo supermarket in the Condado section. There were foods we liked on the mainland that weren't available at the market in PR. So we adjusted. Learned to cook with sofrito, adobo, and recaito as seasoning. At lots of chicken, pork and fish while we were there.
Loved eating out at Metropole, a cuban restaurant (there are several in the San Juan area), and Ajili Mojili in Condado.
SOme of the people I worked with lived in developments called urbanizations inland from the coast. Like gated communities here in the states. Not for me, personally, but I was lucky enough to have the choice for the beach. Others didn't.
Driving is not a pleasure. 75% of PR's population lives in Greater San Juan. It is crowded. And driving skills are, well, different would be the nice way to describe them. There have been other posts and threads addressing driving styles, so I won't repeat anything here.
I remember standing on my balcony with a Puerto Rican friend in late November, and I mentioned that there wasn't a big crowd on the beach. He looked at me in surprise and told me that it was "Winter, my friend, Puerto Ricans don't go to the beach in winter. Too cold" (It was 82 degrees at the time).
Then I noticed that all the women at work were wearing wool clothing, long skirts, and slax. I asked why, and was told that it was winter, so they had put away their summer clothes.
Laugh? Boy did I. But, it's all relative.
I loved the time I was there, and like I said, it's the only place I've moved away from that both my wife and I were really sad (she cried).
Let me also give a counterbalanced report. When we were there, there were 700 homocides in San Juan in one year. 90% plus were males 17-24. Big drug problems. Our condo building was behind gates with security people all over the place. We personally had no problems but a co-worker was robbed on the beach at the west end near the housing project that you would avoid anyway. He just happened to live in a condo tower that was a little to close to the projects.
Give us a followup report on where you end up in PR.

Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:01 AM
beenthere

My company transferred me there -- was to have been for 5 years but was transferred back ou after 1 year. Only place my wife and I were actually sad to leave when we finally moved.
We lived in a condo in a highrise on the beach at Isla Verde. Very expensive - $2400 a month and this was 1991. Company paid 80% of rent, plus an electric allowance (air conditioning) and a cost of living adjustment. All went to making it a wonderful experience for us. We seldom needed a/c as there was a constant sea breeze that acted like natural a/c.
Shopped at the Pueblo supermarket in the Condado section. There were foods we liked on the mainland that weren't available at the market in PR. So we adjusted. Learned to cook with sofrito, adobo, and recaito as seasoning. Ate lots of chicken, pork and fish while we were there.
Loved eating out at Metropole, a cuban restaurant (there are several in the San Juan area), and Ajili Mojili in Condado.
SOme of the people I worked with lived in developments called urbanizations inland from the coast. Like gated communities here in the states. Not for me, personally, but I was lucky enough to have the choice for the beach. Others didn't.
Driving is not a pleasure. 75% of PR's population lives in Greater San Juan. It is crowded. And driving skills are, well, different would be the nice way to describe them. There have been other posts and threads addressing driving styles, so I won't repeat anything here.
I remember standing on my balcony with a friend, a local, in late November, and I mentioned that there wasn't a big crowd on the beach. He looked at me in surprise and told me that it was "Winter, my friend, Puerto Ricans don't go to the beach in winter. Too cold" (It was 82 degrees at the time).
Then I noticed that all the women at work were wearing wool clothing, long skirts, and slax. I asked why, and was told that it was winter, so they had put away their summer clothes.
Laugh? Boy did I. But, it's all relative.
I loved the time I was there, and like I said, it's the only place I've moved away from that both my wife and I were really sad (she cried).
Let me also give a counterbalance report. When we were there, there were 700 homocides in San Juan in one year. 90% plus were males 17-24. Big drug problems. Our condo building was behind gates with security people all over the place. We personally had no problems but a co-worker was robbed on the beach at the west end near the housing project that you would avoid anyway. He just happened to live in a condo tower that was a little to close to the projects.
Give us a followup report on where you end up in PR.

Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:03 AM
beenthere

Sorry about that. Damn computers!