Search

Just Back From Bermuda

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Lorraine

Just Back From Bermuda

We just got back from Bermuda. What a lovely, CLEAN island! And so close from NY--only 1 1/2 hours! We have been to Bahamas, St John, Aruba, Jamaica, St Maartin, and Hawaii on vacation in the past and Bermuda can only be compared with St John and maybe Hawaii. It was so easy to understand the natives and most were very pleasant. There are not many beaches other than on the south shore but the water is clear and warm everywhere. Not much snorkeling. <BR>The hotel we stayed in--Grotto Bay--was a great disappointment, unless you don't mind roachs in your room, cracks in the walls, the aroma of sewerage on your balcony. All we can suggest is to spend the extra money and go to the nicer hotels or save your pennies for next year. As far as food--Monte Carlos and Harbourfront in Hamilton, Swizzle Inn and Bailey's Ice Cream near Grotto Bay are all good choices and very reasonably priced. <BR>All in all, we had a nice trip and would consider going back by cruise or stay at the Southampton Princess or Elbow Beach since they are right near the pink sand beaches.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 01:04 PM
ML

I stayed at the Southampton a few years ago and it was great but a nice mix is stay there half the vacation and stay at their sister hotel in Hamilton the other half. There is a boat that will take you back & forth to the beach and to town. We have stayed at the Princess in Hamilton a few times and really like the location it is right on the harbor. During the day you can go anywhere you want on scooter and at night you are in town.<BR>Alot of the airline people stay at Grotto. We drove in with our scooters, beach area looked nice,but just too far away from everything.(except for the Swizzle Inn. We also took a great snorkel trip, went out six miles in the Atlantic to a reef was pretty good but not like St John.<BR>We also took a cruise there with Celebrity last summer, it was Okay but I really perfer to stay there the food and the hotels are so nice. <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 03:36 PM
sandy

I will be staying at Grotto in the Fall, but am now considering cancelling to stay elsewhere after hearing about the roaches and sewage problems you had. What room did you stay in and was it oceanfront? Did you hear other guests complaining as well from rooms not near yours?? (I've heard of people noticing garbage floating in the water near the Sonesta and the Southampton. What is going on?)<BR><BR>Sandy

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Don

Bermuda is FAR SUPERIOR to St. John!!!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:11 AM
penny

Bermuda is a wonderful and unique island! Not the caribbean, but nothing comes close to this island that stands alone in more ways than one! Now St. John in USVI is great too, whole different experience, and has great snorkeling!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:39 AM
al

Lorraine, if you say there were roaches, sewerage (sic), and cracks in the wall I'll believe you. Which building did you stay in?<BR><BR>I ask because I was at GB just last month and neither saw nor smelled any of the 3. Had a great time there and found it to be quite a value.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:22 PM
Lorraine

We complained several times to the front desk and they really could not be bothered. We booked an oceanfront room and requested a higher level floor for the view. So we were on the third floor of building 5--room 231. My parents were on the first floor of the same building but after a few hours we could not believe the smell. We complained and at first they said they did not have any other oceanfront room and I said we would take anything as long as they credit the difference. Of course a room opened up in the building next door. It was better with no smell but they later told us of the same critters that they found near their room--at least not IN the room like ours. The water was clean but most building have some view of the airport 1 mile away, which surprisingly you could not hear at all. My parents ate at the casual restaurant Palm Court for dinner one night and the waitress gave my father everything but what he ordered--I kid you not! He is not a picky eater and just ate what happened to be the more expensive food that she served. All 3 rooms that we were in had stains on the burlap carpet which was painful to walk on. I rate this hotel the quality of a Days Inn. If you can put up with these findings and just enjoy Bermuda, then it is a good deal for this island that tends to be expensive. But I have learned my lesson and will go with the recommendations for Fodor hotels only from now on. Your decision...

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:23 PM
xxx

Lorraine, how much did you pay the room? I was thinking about going to Bermuda.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:17 AM
al

O.K., not sure which building is #5 but I was on the ground floor of the one called Sandy's something-or-another, about 1/2 way up the hill from the reception area. I too had a stain on the burlap rug, but like I said, no roaches (or bugs, period) or peculiar odors in the room. (I did see a roach one night out by the hot tub area, but you've got to remember that these aren't dirty NY City-type cockroaches, these are the "Palmetto Bug"-type which thrive in warm climates all over the world.) <BR><BR>To me, the folks at the front desk were friendly and the concierge was helpful. Then again, I was pretty friendly to them too. The food was average at best, but that's the way I found most of the food on Bermuda -- average and not worth the price. Overall the staff at Grotto Bay made "an attempt" at all things, trying to make us feel as comfortable as they could, and in most things they succeeded.<BR><BR>It's funny how these things turn out -- I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Grotto Bay again (in fact I plan on it), and you had a lousy time. Maybe I just got lucky. Then again...

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:06 PM
VAL

I USED TO LIVE IN BERMUDA, I LOVED IT I WOULD GO BACK ANY TIME, I WORKED IN THE SONESTA BEACH HOTEL, LOVELY PLACE, MY FAVE BEACH WAS WARICK LONG BAY, AND MY LOCAL WAS HENRY THE 8THS, NEIL DOES A GREAT "DARK N STORMY" I WOULD SAY YES THERE IS A LOT OF ROACHES, GET SOME GOOD ROACH SPRAY! BUT DONT LET THAT PUT U OFF! ANY ONE GOING FANCY TAKING A HAIRDRESSER WITH U!,(IM CHEAP), BYYY VAL

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:22 PM
Lorraine

We did get a great price, especially for Bermuda. We paid for a package deal about $950pp but my parents booked later and paid about $1200pp w/ airfare from NY (thru Liberty Travel). I have been to many other resorts and islands and have NEVER found bugs in my room. The staff were not rude but just not helpful at all in our situation. Had they been then maybe we could have at least had something better to say about Grotto. The coves are a neat feature, I can say that. If anyone does decide to stay here I suggest requesting for an upper level room either at the top of the hill or the closest building to the pool and ocean which I think was called Pembroke. <BR>I do agree that the food can be expensive and overpriced for the quality at some restaurants, but we stuck with the 2001 Fodors book of recommendations (stars and ones that just had descriptions) and were satisfied with the food without hurting our wallets. We just didn't hit all the really expensive places and we really didn't miss it. I don't think the food offer at those were so exotic that I could not find back at home, so we skipped them. You can do Bermuda on a budget with some research and planning. Good day all.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Joanna

I was thinking of Grotto Bay since it is such a good value, particularly off season, but now I am afraid of the bugs! What other reasonable hotels would you recommend in the alternative? Thanks