to "knowing" who is just back from VI

Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

to "knowing" who is just back from VI

Hi Knowing, saw your comments on GC, we are planning to go to USVI in May, need to make the reservations, STT Secret Harbour or a place on St. John? Caneel Bay is so expensive and I think Gallows Point is booked. which island to stay on, where to stay, and do we rent a car? plan to take a day trip or two to Tortola and Jost van dyke. looks like the better restaurants and nightlife are on st. john but not as many places to stay. what did you like/dislike, where did you stay, eat, do, etc.? trip report! thanks
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:30 PM

Your choice of island depends on what you want. What are you looking for in an island and hotel? Do you care if you're on a hill or do you want a walk out beach? Is a big beach important to you? Wht kind of accommodations do you want? What kind of pricing? Both islands actually are supposed to have some good dining. Are you interested in nightlife?
On STT, Secret Harbour is all suites and is on a stunning beach. In May you probably won't have a lot of kids yet. Caneel Bay on STJ IS very expensive as is the Westin. There just aren't a lot of hotels on St. John. St. Thomas is more of a developed island, but many of the hotel properties are on the east side of the island, away from the Charlotte Amalie area, so it doesn't feel overly developed.
We didn't rent a car. The terrain on STT was VERY hilly with blind spots and the roads were narrow. We found a taxi driver that we liked and called him when we wanted to go out.
As far as our own stay, we stayed on STT at Wyndham Sugar Bay. Beautiful grounds,very panoramic views and attractive rooms. Food was generally good and the drinks were fantastic. Had a ball at night in the Ocean Club. We did eat out several times. We went to Agave Terrace. Food was ok. Shrimp Cocktail was "fishy" smelling and tableside salad tasted like an older bag of Dole salad mix. Lobster was good. Dessert was dried out. Wouldn't go back again. Bumpa's was excellent. I imagine like a NY deli maybe? Wonderful Reubens and potato salads at lunch. We also went to Duffy's. Nachos and Lobster Rolls were good. people watching was awesome! Crowd became younger as the night wore on. Went shopping in Charlotte Amalie one day and came away with few purchases. Waterfront Highway had some great shops, but way too many cruise ship people. We did go to K-mart and bought several bottles of different types of alcohol. Cheaper than any of the other places and MUCH beter than prices at home. There is a lot more crime on STT than we ever hear about, so even though we had planned on doing the Point Paradise Tram at sunset, we decided not to do that. Snorkeling is spectacular, especially off Coki Point. My husband learned how to windsurf. If you've never done a sub, you may enjoy Atlantis. We were happy staying on St. Thomas. Our only regret about our trip is that we wanted to take a helicopter ride and couldn't find anyone else that was interested. $700 was expensive for just the two of us.
Whichever island you choose, you will love the USVI. If you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer them.
Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:31 PM

Hi everyone,
I just had to respond to the unfortunate situation you had with eating at the Agave Terrace. Our family owns a condo in their complex and have never had a bad meal at the Agave. I was saddened by your remark and will be emailing them to look into this unfortunate situation. We have long loved St. Thomas and have never had any problems with staying on this beautiful island with our family and friends. That is why we decided to invest and buy a piece of paradise. We love the island for the beauty as well as the shopping. I also love going to other islands for a day sail. You can enjoy the BVI for something different also. I do agree with Coki beach being fun and beautiful.. we walk there in the morning for a stroll and it's beautiful. Also, please don't let one incident make up your mind about an island because they are all beautiful.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Lisa
Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks, i'll have more questions i'm sure, just too tired tonight to think but wanted to check for replies. wyndham sugar bay sounds like a nice place, i'll have to check their prices. i'm hearing comments about staying on st. john in a condo but would really like to be on the beach...decisions, decisions. thanks again. more soon...
Mar 4th, 2003, 11:08 AM

JMO but Agave is not consistent. Over the years it has been the training ground for many good chefs who have left and made it on their own. The food does vary and generally the last few years it has not lived up to past experiences and its reputation and the change of chefs is frequent. Still a lovely spot on the deck with the down island views. Only two hotels on St. John, Caneel, pricey and the Westin. St. Thomas will offer more and does have more nightlife options and dining choices than St. John. Both islands have excellent dining. If you want beachfront, you'll find more choices of properties on St. Thomas with more reasonable pricing. Secret Harbour is a good casual spot on a lovely beach where you can opt to cook/eat in or you can dine out convienently. It is about 5 minutes from the ferry to the BVI's and St. John (only 15 minute ride to St. John). None of the East End properties are far from Red Hook where the ferry is. Renting a car is more reasonable if you plan to be out and about and the driving is not as horrible as described but taxis are available and can add up quickly depending on your destination. There are villas and condos on both islands but those on St. Thomas are more likely to offer beachfront property at a more reasonable cost. The villa option is a great choice on St. John but you will need to factor in the cost of a vehicle and the need to drive everywhere including the beach unless you are near Cruz Bay where the taxis are convenient.
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:41 AM

went to secret harbor last spring and had a great experience. it is in a fairly remote(for St. T)place. the beach is really nice, great snorkeling to the right as you face the sea.do eat in their restaurant. get a beachside table- they have a nice menu and all is done well. take the cigarette boat ride from Red Hook Harbor.about $100/per plus cocktailsyou may want. goes to Sandy Cay to snorkel,the Baths on Virgin Gorda, lunch on Marina Cay and Cocktails at Foxy's on Jost van Dyke. unless you really can't drive on the left rent a car there area way to many places to explore to rely on a taxi.S.H. is very close to several mega hotels with great beaches and water sports oportunities. find somebody to treat you to Sun. brunch at Ritz Carlton just up the street. Fabulous but pricey! Castaway Girl has a great captain named Doyle for a snorkel excursion. Have Fun.

Search this Thread