Hotels in St. Thomas??

Feb 4th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Hotels in St. Thomas??

Does anyone know of some nice hotels/resorts on St. Thomas? The Ritz sounds great, but is a bit pricey. I was looking to spend no more than $300-350/night. We are going in August- which I think is off peak and cheaper. Also, is one area better than others in terms of proximity to beaches, restaurants, shops, etc.?
Feb 4th, 2004, 06:48 PM

Well, its been several years since we stayed at the Wyndham SugarBAy on St. Thomas, but as I recall it was a great experience (all inclusive). The beach left something to be desired (sand fleas), but it was easy enough to get around the island, and to hop to ST. John (best snorkeling ever). As far as all-inclusives go, its nice be able to stay put for most meals, as getting a taxi/bus to travel about can get old if you are there for more than just a few days. Check out a map of the island, and find a hotel closer to the shopping district if that's your fancy. Wyndham is the furthest from the shopping, but closest to ST. John.
Feb 4th, 2004, 08:42 PM

I stayed at the Ritz in December for 9 days for my honeymoon. Service was great until I noticed 2 unexplained charges on my bill that I'm still trying to get straightened out. The concierge also screwed up our plans for our last night. We were supposed to take a sunset cruise on the Lady Lyndsey, but the captain hit something the day before on a sail with several guests and it had to be repaired. It almost sank! The concierge was supposed to book us on another boat but failed to do so and did not tell us until the last minute so we were unable to schedule something else. It was our last night and we saved this for a special night. They didn't even apologize and we asked to speak to the manager 3 times before we left the next day and have yet to hear from him. The beach is also just OK, very rough on your feet in the water. It has lots of shells in it. We got a rate of $199 a night and they upgraded us upon request of our travel agent. I would not go back. We took a couple of day trip to St. John and fell in love with the island. That's where we're spending our first anniversary.
Feb 5th, 2004, 04:49 AM
cdt

The Ritz and the Marriott Morningstar are generally regarded as the best on the island. The Morningstar might be in your price range during August.

Morningstar has a decent beach and is very near town (shopping, dining, etc.). It is adjacent to Marriott Frenchman's Reef, which isn't as nice.

Some other mid to high end possibilities:
All-inclusives: Palace (formerly Renaissance) or Wyndham.
Sapphire Beach Resort - excellent beach, medium hotel.
Secret Harbour - condos on nice quiet beach.
Feb 5th, 2004, 05:06 AM

I too am trying to decide on a place to stay on St. Thomas for October. I am planning on splitting my stay between St. Thomas/ and one of the BVIs. I stayed on St. John at Caneel last year and loved it but want to do something different. I have heard the Ritz is very nice but may miss the idea of being in a beachfront room so I was thinking of the Morning Star or Sapphire beach. Still deciding, keep hearing flip flop reviews on a lot of places on St. Thomas. If I am planning my vacation for 7 nights/ 8 days would it make more sense to stay on St. Thomas first for 3 nights and then go over to the BVIs for 4 nights or reverse it? I am thinking of Peter Island- if I can convince my husband (because they have no tv). Thanks, Susan
Feb 5th, 2004, 05:30 AM
cdt

Morningstar's definitely a better hotel than Sapphire but Sapphire has a better beach.

I would think the order of your stay would depend on your flight schedules. If you're taking a ferry to the BVI, you would have trouble getting there if your flight arrived in St. Thomas fairly late in the day, and therefore might want to do the STT stay first.

Similar issue going back - to leave the BVI in the morning you need a flight from STT that doesn't depart until afternoon.
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Well as of now the flight I am looking at arrives Saturday at 1:30pm and the one that leaves STT the following Saturday departs at 2:30. So I assume either way would work . But I don't know if I stay at Peter Island first, then wherever I stay on St. Thomas may not be as nice! Maybe then do STT first.
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:20 AM

SSypniewski---If you are considering Peter Island,NOTHING on St Thomas will rate as high....

As an alternative to St Thomas, since you did say you wanted BVI and not USVI--how about Barbados at SANDY LANE--VERY VERY upscale and had a multimillion dollar total renovation..FABULOUS resort---on par with Caneel Bay in St John....
http://www.sandylane.com/

Or another alternative is Cap Juluca in Anguilla....very private...
http://www.capjuluca.com/