Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St Johns 5 nights...where else for 3 nights????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying at the Westin in St. John's for 5 nights and we have an additional 3 nights to stay somewhere else before we fly home. What would you recommend? We were thinking of spending three nights at La Bellavista on St. Thomas after St. John.

Is it easier to take day trips to the BVI's from St. John or St. Thomas? We were thinking of going from St. John to Tortola and Virgin Gorda on day trips. Then spending the other days in St. John. Then, go to St. Thomas and have the remaining days there. Otherwise, would it bet better to go to the Westin for the 5 nights and then just go to Tortola or Virgin Gorda for the remaining three nights?

Our interests are beaches, snorkeling, site seeing, shopping, nice dining....

Suggestions appreciated. I haven't been to the USVI in about 15 years...

Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:39 PM

Why not stay all 8 nights on St. John (note that there's no "s&quot, especially if you're going to be taking day trips to a couple of islands? Or stay 7 nights on St. John and the last night on St. Thomas, which would provide you a chance to sample the island and do some shopping (if you're in to that) without sacrificing time moving around, switching hotels. For your interests in snorkeling especially, I would maximize the time on St. John with scheduled daytrips to the BVI to complement that. Hope you have a great time!
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 05:16 AM

The BVIs are closer to St. John for daytrips - A great one is with Captain Cathy Packo, Sea Gypsy. Her boat takes 6 passengers making for a more attentive, personalized trip, to 4 BVI islands which include, Norman Island with shallow swim -up caves, and Indian Rocks - best snorkeling I have ever experienced. She has trips that leave from Caneel, but I believe she also leaves from the Westin.

Should you like to do St. Thomas and wish to save the best for last, I would do that first and the remainder for St. John. St John's natural beauty, private white sand beaches are much superier to St. Thomas. However, St. Thomas has points of interest to offer for a brief stay with some excellent restaurants, and great shopping. I enjoyed a terrific road trip with scenic and interesting stops along the way.
A fun filled day trip to The Baths and Jost Van Dyke can be had on New Horizans II. They leave from St. Thomas, but I believe that they will also pick-up passengers on St. John.

Another option, in lieu of St. Thomas would be to travel to Virgin Gorda where the Baths are located, and has very good snorkeling.
8 days on the Virgin Islands will make for a great trip, no matter what you decide.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

We are staying on St John at the Westin because we have free hotel points. That still leaves us 3 nights. St. Thomas may be the best choice for the remaining days since we plan to do the day trips to the BVIs from St. John by boat. Thanks for the suggestions.

Any recommendations for restaurants on St. John or St. Thomas??

Thanks!
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 11:18 PM

St. John - I enjoy lunch at The Lime Inn; they also serve dinner. Zozo's is great for dinner. Request a table near the edge and enjoy a beautiful sunset and then the twinkling lights of St. Thomas. ( Your request may receive preferential treatment if made by your hotel's concierge, since restauranteurs like to keep their guests happy for future recommendations.) There is a great barbeque place close to the docks. I believe it is called Smokey Joes. Walk up, casual lunch. All are located in Cruz Bay. A great place for a cool refreshing drink is a bar located outside on the water front. Lots of locals go there. It has a definite Carribbean feel. It is a very casual come as you are kind of place. I cannot remember the name, but it is located next door to Low Key Watersports.

St. Thomas - Dinner at the Stone Farmhouse is outstanding fine dining. Lunch poolside at Marriott's Frenchman's Reef will make you feel that you are in a travel brochure. Perched high upon a cliff, it offers spectacular views. Cuzzins for lunch is located in Charlotte Amalie's shopping district - good local food and flavor. Herve's, also in Charlotte Amalie is good for lunch or dinner. Tavern on the Beach, located at Marriott's Morning Star, is also a great choice for dinner. Located directly on the beach, the sounds of water lapping on the beach along with live dinner music at your candlelit table, makes for a very romantic setting. The food is also very good.

If you have not decided upon a hotel, I recommend the adjoining Marriott Morning Star. Located directly on the beach, the rooms are in a cluster of small buildings, all of which are 3 stories. It has a real islandy feel. If you do not belong, I suggest that you join their Rewards program, 10 points earned for each dollar spent.
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 10:37 AM

We stayed for a week at the Sugar Mill last year in Tortola and it was great. Rented a jeep and drove around the hilly island--the views are beautiful of other islands from the road and from the Sugar Mill! The Sugar Mill made the arrangements for the jeep and it was waiting for us upon arrival. Spent the afternoons at Cane Garden Bay where you can rent a lounge all day for $10.
Also enjoyed an afternoon in uncrowded Jost Van Dyke with its wonderful white sand beaches--went over by water taxi from the West End Marina in Tortola.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I appreciate the tips. Wish we could go there tomorrow!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:39 PM

If it were me I wouldn't be trying to day trip to all those others islands....stay mainly on St. John, which is your best bet....spend your latter nights on St. Thomas, I assume you are flying out of there, makes sense. Maybe day trip one day but really save BVI for another trip.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:11 AM

To mgfit,

Your trip will be wonderful no matter what you decide. - so many wonderful choices. If you want to explore the many outstanding beaches of St. John, an excellent book is "St. John Beach Guide". It has beautiful color pictures of the individual beaches, directions to them, the places for the best snorkeling and an air view of the entire island, pinpointing each beach. It can be purchased through Amazon dot com, or a shop in Mongoose Junction, Cruz Bay called, Wicker, Wicks... Mine is packed for my trip next week. Can't wait.
Upon your return, if you can, give us your thoughts or post a trip report. Have a great time!