St Lucia-Car Hire

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

St Lucia-Car Hire

My fiancé and I are visiting St Lucia for the first time for 2 weeks in December and January. We normally like to hire a car and explore places, especially since photography is a hobby. Could anyone shed any light about car hire on the island, the best company to approach for a good deal and anything else I need to know?
Any information would be gladly received.
Many thanks in advance.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:00 PM

We hired a driver with 2 other couples and we drove the whole island. The cost was about $35.00 per couple and were gone from 8:00am to about 5:00 pm. Did just what you want to do explor the island on our own time. Took awsome pictures in some very great places off the beated path. One of the couples that were with us own a photo studio in Philly and he got some super shots of the mountains and ocean. I feel thats the only way to see the real island. If you have any ? feel free to email me at [email protected]
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 05:45 PM

Kimberly,
Its been a few years since I've been to St. Lucia but we did the same thing, except we also rented a car(s)...big group. Driving was not difficult, lots of pot holes...actually about the worst place we've ever driven but not undoable just can't go fast.

We ended up happening was we arranged transportation from the airport to Cap Estate, which was a long ride, then had the rent cars delivered the next day. Well the cab driver, a great guy who had this van to fit all of us we hired him again to give us a tour of the island. Great time we had. The rental cars we had were to get around, grocery shopping, to the dive shop, etc. Either way works, did both. Enjoy.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 06:11 PM

We went to St Lucia last year and if you have a choice, recommend hiring a driver or taxi. The road from the south airport isn't that bad but no guard rails by steep inclines and very winding. Castries is very congested and did not experience them myself, but heard the roads to Soufriere and Vieux Fort are pretty bad from Castries. However, if you are adventurous, and/or if you are from the UK and used to driving on that side of the road, I'm sure either option will work for you. For some people, the lack of development may add to the charm of the island even more.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the time taken to reply to my message. I?m in two minds now as to whether we hire a car or a driver and car. We?ll probably wait until we get there and see what the situation is. Thanks again everyone!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:00 PM

Sheena,
Whatever you decide in either event you'll have a great time. Its probably not a bad idea to wait until you are there then decide on the car, if you do opt for one just ask to have it delivered. The roads are in bad shape, very potholed but as I said certainly driveable, you just can't go very fast. I would recommend an SUV type vehicle, something that rides higher for clearance...with a car you'll bottom it out constantly. Make sure you have a good spare tire, we had two flats, one with each car.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Definitely it's better to let a driver take you around the island for a tour. The road to Vieux Fort just got fixed, but there isn't much to see that side

Rental is the way to go for around town. Election are coming up soon btw, so they have been trying to fix the traffic lights and potholes.