Jumby Bay or Galley Bay

Apr 9th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Jumby Bay or Galley Bay

Can someone give input as to which resort to choose? Any input or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Apr 10th, 2004, 02:13 PM

We stayed at Galley bay last October & had our best holiday yet. food is great, rooms are on the beach (not cottages)varied age group, no kids, beach is beautiful, although sea can be a little rough at times. everyone is very friendly & we made plenty of friends. We are returning in 2005.
Apr 10th, 2004, 06:15 PM

There are many reviews and comments on Jumby Bay in the archives. Quite a few are <2 years old.
Apr 11th, 2004, 09:53 AM

We stayed in a beautiful beach bungalow at Galley Bay in Antigua. Our bungalow just a few feet from the waters edge. The hardest decision was deciding the top floor of beach level. After some research we were advised for more privacy to take the top floor and were very happy with our decision and very much enjoyed hanging out on our balcony enjoying the breathtaking views every morning and evening. The view from our balcony was very beautiful and romantic. The bungalows are made up of 4 units with only 2 levels. Ground floor had direct access to the beach and top floors had to exit from the back of the bungalow and walk around the unit to enter the beach. Which was fine since we had the added privacy and beautiful balcony views of the beach. You can request certain rooms since some rooms were said the views were a bit obstructed from palm trees, yet we were fully accomadated with our requests. I don't remember the room # but I can check my papers if I still have them if anyone is interested.

The beach was just perfect, beautiful clear blue water and always clean. Although some areas of the water had what I think they call coral, very big coral. If you're not aware of it, you can barely see it especially when the sun is glaring, so be careful. I was not and had a little fall, but I was so excited, it was our first day there, and I just made a run for the water, had a little slip nothing major. But even the coral didn't bother us, it's only in few areas. We went in October and found the beach to be very quite just as we like it. No crowds, no kids just perfect! Never once were we bothered on the beach by local vendors. It's a private beach, so I'd expect that. You'd see some guys pull up in boats selling excursions and sunset sails, but they'd only speak to you if you flagged them down. We did a sunset cruise, dolphin watch and parasailing with Shawn, and is highly recommended by many. Sunset cruise on his sailboat was wonderful!! Definetly a must!!

The best part of this trip, is it had everything I could imagine, from the romantic bungalow on the beach, quite and clean long stretched beach, & AL INCLUSIVE!! Very hard to find all of these ammenties with an all inclusive deal. It's definetly not your typical "blah all inclusive hotel" with having the best food I've ever experienced in the caribbean makes this resort hard to come by! And top shelf liquor or wine!! Two restaraunts to choose from with beautiful views and romantic settings just yards from the beach. The menu would change every night in one of the restaruants, that one you had to make reservations for, but definetly worth it. Service was A+.

I can't say anything bad about Galley Bay, everything was just perfect! I would definetly go back, but there's so many places I haven't seen and so little time, but maybe one day.

Any questions please feel free to ask, I'd be more than happy.
Apr 11th, 2004, 01:39 PM

I think the main differences are in quality and privacy. Jumby Bay costs 50-75% more, but is on a private island which is very quiet, and Jumby's accommodations are tropical luxury with expensive linens and furniture, and good restaurant quality food.
Apr 12th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your wonderful advice.
A few more things. DO they all inclusives include bottled beer as well as my other half is a beer drinker.
What I am getting is that both Jumby Bay and Galley Bay are both wonderful properties. ITs seems that Jumby Bay maybe a bit more expensive. Any comments. Are they restaurants in Antigua expensive since all inclusive seems to be the way to go there.
Thanks again!
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Hi All- I am going on my honeymoon in October 2004 and having a hard time deciding where to go. I have researched all over the carribean and mexico and think the all-inclusives appeal to us. I like Jumby Bay, we are in our early 30's and looking for something luxurious, yet has a little nightlife on site or close by, social interaction and activity. Do you think we'll enjoy Jumby Bay or do you have any other ideas for us. We're a young fun couple and I guess we are looking for the best of both worlds . Thanks!!
Apr 13th, 2004, 07:28 PM

Hi everyone, here is my Galley Bay/Jumby Bay experience:
My wife and I (both early 30's) went to Antigua August 2003. We arrived at Galley Bay to find we had no reservation, turns out our travel agent whom we paid in full did not pay Galley Bay. We stayed at GB 1 night as the hotel was not helpful at all in our dilemma and demanded repayment or was ready to kick us out. GB was nice just don't stay in a cottage room unless you like really noisy birds all night long. So we found our way by accident to Jumby Bay. Heaven on earth! if you can stay anywhere in your lifetime go to Jumby. We had a courtyard suite worth every penny. Beach was awesome, make sure to bicyle over to pasture bay beach for out of this world snorkeling. Food was incredible, service as well. Nightlife was bring your own on Jumby Bay island but it is an easy boat trip back to Antigua for fun. I'm happy to answer questions, [email protected]
Galley Bay in no way compares with Jumby, not bad just not at the same level.
Apr 13th, 2004, 08:59 PM

We're returning to Jumby Bay in 3 weeks. Last visit was 10 months ago.
(We're also going to Carlisle Bay for a night just to see what it's like, though it sounds like growing pains are the order of the day).
Jumby is about getting away from city life. It's very quiet, peaceful. No cars on the island. Preferred mode of travel is bicycles (free for the taking all over the resort) and walking.
The paved bike paths circle the island and are in very good condition.
The main beach is very nice, calm water, uncrowded, good beach drink service.
Beer (for belle) is available in bottles but it's only local. No US or European beers (as of last summer). Dinner wines are good but not what you'd see on the wine list of a 4-5 star restaurant in NYC.
For nightlife you'd need to take the (free) ferry over to Antigua which takes only 10+ minutes (then cab to one of the towns).
We've met some very nice and interesting people at Jumby and we consider this a perk of visiting. People who go to Jumby often have interesting lives/careers (from my personal sampling), and as such the dinner/beach conversations can be quite good. We've really enjoyed the people we've met there and we still keep in touch with 2 couples though we all live in different parts of the country.
Jumby Bay would be great for a honeymoon if you don't need lots of outside sources of entertainment to keep you happy.
Apr 15th, 2004, 03:54 AM

To Traveleis-Your input about Jumby is right on the mark. Since you were last there a few changes-a new chef, and pastry chef. The menu has gotten even more interesting, a pasta bar at lunch, and a few more items on the menu. The Estate house extended its covered patio, and the tv room is now at the Estate House. Same wonderful staff. Wonderful relaxtion!!!

I will be interested to read your thoughts on Carlisle Bay. We stayed for 2 nights then on to Jumby. We did enjoy Indigo!
Apr 15th, 2004, 07:15 AM

Thanks so much for all your input, it is extremely helpful. A couple last questions. Do the Pond Bay rooms ( luxury room) have a patio/terrace with a table and chairs so you can eat out there? Also, are there TV's in the rooms, it looks like just the one bedroom suites have them. Lastly, if we decide to upgrade, would you suggest the courtyard suite or the one bedroom suite? Thanks again, and we are one phone call away from booking our honeymoon at Jumby.
Apr 15th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Upgrading is really up to you what you find important. The courtyard suites have a fabulous outdoor shower and tub, plus a huge patio. No TV. The suites have a TV, but at this time I am not sure about the outdoor shower. I know there are future plans for most of the rooms. The Pond House rooms all have terraces, with chairs, and I think a table. They are really nice rooms! There is a new flat plama screen in the media room at the Estate House. This room is usually empty!
Apr 15th, 2004, 10:54 AM

We recently booked an upcoming trip at Jumby...if you are traveling now through October or November (I don't remember which), there is an Escape to Luxury package with room rate discounts offered on Rosewood's reservations website and through travel agents (I think it was $100 off the rack rate per night). For awhile there was a stay 7 nights, pay for 6 nights special (if booking with a travel wholesaler), but I do not remember when that special expired. Also, we found out in our research that virtuoso agents (and maybe others) can get you a free upgrade upon arrival (based on availability) and a spa credit.

Good luck with all your plans!
Apr 15th, 2004, 11:33 AM

yeah when i call rosewood direct i get that escape deal, but i am trying to couple that with the pay 6 stay 7 too. good job finagling that one. i am about to give in and just book the pond bay luxury room. the rondavels are the same price, someone remind me why the room is better than the these.. .
Apr 27th, 2004, 03:06 PM

My husband and I are going to Galley Bay first week of June..what is the dress code there for meals.. especially dinner..also we have never done Aii-inclusive before..how do you handle gratuities. What documentation is needed (birth certificate..passport??) any help would be greatly appreciated
Apr 28th, 2004, 01:02 PM

In reply to Lorijip about the dress code at Galley Bay,for men shirt must have a collar & no shorts or sandals. Women wear skirts, dresses or smart trousers, but most dress up for the Managers cocktail party & we dressed up most nights because we enjoy it!! Gratuities are included in the aI price, but if you receive any special attention(which you will)I thinkyou are welcome to tip, but i am not sure whether it would then have to be handed in to share. Have a great time.