Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which would you choose...Jumby, Galley or Carlisle Bay??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello helpful Fodorites! We are going to Antigua for our honeymoon in July and we are trying to decide between Carlisle Bay, Galley Bay or Jumby Bay. Has anyone here been to all 3 of them? Or do you have insights to share about your visit to one that would help us make a decision?

Here are our priorities:
Nice Beach
Good Food
Comfy Room with A/C

I'm assuming we will meet all of these needs at each of the hotels so it's turning out to be a tough decision. Any help would be appreciated!
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:48 AM

To be honest, the beach at Galley Bay isn't the best. It's choppy. So that rules that out. Jumby Bay is superb. That is my recommendation to you.
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Well, as usual, my opinion differs from jecrow's. The surf is often up at Galley Bay (which can make swimming a serious task, but can be fun for bobbing in the waves), but the beach itself is quite lovely--it's a long, white stretch of sand dotted with palm trees and thatched shelters. It's also nice and wide for the most part. It's a longer, bigger beach than what you'll find on Jumby or at Carlisle, but those beaches are also nice.

You will find a comfortable room at all 3. Galley Bay's will be the "beachiest" in decor. Carlisle Bay is minimalist chic. I've only seen the rooms of Jumby in photographs.

Please note that I've never stayed at these places, but as a frequent visitor to Antigua, I have seen the properties of Carlisle and Galley.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:34 PM

The place that best fits your criteria on Antigua imo is not any of the three you mention. It is Curtain Bluff, which has a lovely beach with both all-day sun and lots of shade. The beach is on a protected cove so the water is always calm for swimming and off-shore snorkeling. The resort has delicious food with the largest wine cellar in the Caribbean. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, and the junior suites are very nice (with A/C). When we were there, there was live entertainment by local musicians almost every night (although I'm not sure this is true in the summer.) We think it is one of the nicest places that we have stayed in the Caribbean.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:05 PM

We were stayed at Galley Bay in Feb06 for a week. The beach was beautiful,however the water was quite choppy a couple of the days. The food was superb, even though AI, all meals were a la carte, even breakfast. We stayed in the Gauguin Cottages which had their own private plunge pools. The other accomodations are right on the beach. If we go back we would try out the beach front rooms as you have the great view. This is a very quiet small resort, so if you are looking for a more party type scene, this may not be the place to go. They do have nightly entertainment, but by 11:00pm it is finished. I have not been to the other places, but I would highly recommend Galley Bay!