Search

Jet Ski Rental

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Ski Rental

Headed to St. John in June. Any experience with Jet Ski / Wave Runner rentals? Thanks for any suggestions on St. John or surrounding islands.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:13 AM

I have to say that I am hoping someone says that jet skis are not allowed in the waters of St. John, but I don't know. St. John is about snorkeling and non-motorized sports. Snorkelers and jet skis do not mix. We have had to stop traveling to certain beaches because of the noise pollution, not to mention the danger of being run over by some reckless jet ski driver. So, I am curious -- do jet skiers understand that they are seriously ruining an experience for others and they just don't care? I do believe everyone has a right to have fun in their own way, but if it impinges on others, not to mention the health of the acquatic environment (St. John is one of the last remaining places with some live reefs as I understand it), do jet skiers at least think about these things? I don't mean to be mean, I am seriously curious. I do hope you have a great time in St. John, but recommend snorkeling as a better diversion.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:39 AM

My husband loves jet skis and on our trip last Nov, we found that jet skis are not allowed St. John.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Im almost sorry I asked! After some reseach I found that jet skis are available on St. Thomas and in the BVI's. I hope there are no snorkelers there to get in the way of our jet skis Just kidding, I think there is room for everyone, maybe just in different spots.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Ksea,
I am sorry I was so obnoxious in my message -- I did not intend to vent so strongly with an unsuspecting innocent jet skier. I hope you have a fabulous time. I know they have jet skis at a very cool place in Jamaica called Goldeneye (where Ian Fleming wrote the James Bond books), if you are ever interested in Jamaica. Take care, and don't run over anyone ... (only kidding)
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

No problem West. I haven't run over anyone (yet). I was in Jamaica over Thanksgiving, but they were having a tropical storm so no water sports for us on that trip. I will let you know how it goes in St. Thomas though! Thanks for the tips.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:38 AM

You won't find jet skiing on St. John. I have been a few times. The Westin in Great Cruz Bay does offer guided Jet Ski tours, that you have to sign up for in advance, but you are not able to just rent and ride. The reason is that almost all of the water is considered National Park Land and protected by the national park service. The reefs are fragile and all over the place. Because of the danger of running into the coral reefs and hurting the reefs,(or yourself) they don't allow traditional jet skiiing, only the guided tours where you go slow, follow the tour guide and site see. If you want to REALLY ride the jet ski's you have to take the ferry over to over to St. Thomas- try Sapphire or Coki Beaches. As far as I know those are the only 2 places on St. Thomas that rent, but St. Thomas isn't National Park so you can find them there. Enjoy your trip.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Chris. I think the guided tour sounds great. We surely dont want to hurt the natural environment. I hear it is incredibly beautiful. If we feel more adventurous we will ferry over to St Thomas and ride on our own.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM

I just found out that my neighbors' brother-in-law was killed on a jet ski in Aruba (in front of his wife and kids, all there to celebrate their 20 wedding anniversary) He was a fit, athletic guy but no match for the waves and a huge engine being put in his hands with little or no training. I wish there were stricter regulations about these.

I couldn't beleive how many dads I saw in Nassau tucking their very young children in front of them and revving out over huge waves, flying through the air in very close proximity to each other.

Old May 10th, 2007, 05:56 AM

I am delighted to say that jetskis are banned in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. They may be fun to those on them but to the rest of us who enjoy quiet beach time, swimming and snorkelling, they are torture noise machines and real water hazards. I say sink them all.