STT/STJ or SXM/SBH

Mar 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

STT/STJ or SXM/SBH

Hello:

I have narrowed a mid April vacation down to St. Thomas with a day in St. Johns, or St. Martin (French side at Orient Bay) with a day at St. Barts.

Any feedback from those travels who have been to both locations? My girlfirend and I want to do some snorkeling, fishing and sailing...good beaches a must. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Dave
Mar 9th, 2008, 07:52 PM

if snorkeling is a priority then i suggest st. thomas/st. john combo. try to stay somewhere on the east end of st. t (ritz, wyndham sugar bay, secret harbour, or a condo) as you'd be close to the red hook ferry (20 mins to st. john).
you'll find good snorkeling at sugar bay & secret harbour and great snorkeling at many of the numerous st. john beaches.
(if you can find a house to rent on st.john you might find that a good option).
numerous boating excursions leave from the sapphire bay marina nearby also.
this is a really cool excursion: http://newhorizonscharters.com/
or to sail: http://www.newhorizonsvi.com/
this is a pretty fair map/ secret harbour is marked, ritz is in in great bay, wyndham is just south of coki world.
http://www.frommers.com/images/desti..._st.thomas.jpg
assume you have passports as both above tours enter bvi.
i know little about fishing except that it is supposed to be pretty good from st.t. my friends dh who fishes just goes to the docks and finds someone to take him...
Mar 9th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Virginia!

We were actually considering the Wyndham, but there seems to be mixed reviews out there. The Excursions look great, thanks. We will certainly check that out. We are in Indiana and the snow is still coming down. Can't wait to get out there in the sun.

Thanks again,

Dave
Mar 10th, 2008, 03:47 AM

Dave, my wife & I have been to both places. STT/STJ is the clear winner! The food was the only thing better on St. Martin IMHO. I would suggest that you reserve your itinerary - One day in St. Thomas and the rest of the time on St. John. You would not regret it. I have fished several times out of St. John and caught tuna & wahoo for dinner. The snorkeling is great around St. John & if you are above average snorkelers I can recommend some off the beaten path sites.

I would also rent a villa on St. John it's not that much more, if any, than a hotel room. We've rented through Caribbeanvillas.com & Destinationstjohn.com. Both companies are very good to deal with. I give a very slight nod to Destination St. John.

Take care,
Mike
Mar 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM

I have been to St Maarten 3x, STT for 10 days and STJ for a week. Your description of what you want to do I would whole heartedly recommend St John.
Mar 10th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Pulley and tyedye33:

Thank you for the fedback. We book the flight to STT today. Now we just need to decide where we are staying and when.

I would be interested in the snorkeling locations you were mentioning. Please let me know what you found. Also, on the fishing, were you able to fish off of the shore, or did you charter a boat? It's just the two of us, so I'm not sure about chartering...

Thanks,

Dave
Mar 10th, 2008, 05:27 PM

hi dave, re sugar bay. i stayed at secret harbour (twice now) and loved it. my best freind's daughter had her wedding at sugar bay so i spent quite a bit of time there. it is all-inlcusive. the pool area is nice. there is a bar, walk up burger grill/sandwich stand plus a sit down restaurant. the pool is right next to the beach. so you can get food/drinks and go lay on the beach lounge chairs, which are plentiful. the beach is not huge. they rent jet skies and offer para-sailing. snorkel off to the right of the beach. they have tennis courts. some machines to gamble. rooms are basic hotel style. front desk service was good but not outstanding. food good but not outstanding. the biggest drawback is the (i think it's 90) steps from the hotel down to the beach/pool. you can avoid this by using the hotel shuttle though. the location re other island things (red hook, coki, sapphire marina) is good.
if it was me i would stay at secret harbour. it's better!
Mar 11th, 2008, 04:39 AM

Dave,

When are you going? For fishing you have to rent a charter, 1/2 day, and it's around $350 but you may catch several suppers worth of fish! Some of my favorite, least visited snorkel sites are in no particular order:
Denis Beach
Francis Bay - across from Mary's Point
Waterlemon Cay - Frequently visited
Haulover Bay
Rainbow Beach
Blue Cobblestone
Lameshur - Near VIERS
Reef Bay
Chocolate Hole - Left point & around

Popular but with good snorkeling:
Hawksnest
Caneel Bay
Jumbie
Gibney
Salomon

Plenty to keep you busy.
Mar 11th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Virgina and Mike:

Thank you for the response. I am heading there mid April for 6 days. Not a lot of time, so I want to make sure its worth while. I will have to check out a few of those snorkel sites you mentioned. The fishing sounds great as well....looking forward to it all. It will be a nice break from the Indiana weather!

Thanks again,

Dave
Mar 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM

I am an alumnus Of IU Bloomington
1980!

Before I graduated from Medical
School, I camped at Cinnaminon
Bay Campground ST John for 2weeks.
I think I snorkeled every site that
is possible.

My wife and I honeymooned at Caneel
Bay.