Search

Island hopping!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:55 AM
Vicky

Island hopping!

My fiance and I are interested in island hopping in the Caribbean for our honeymoon, and we are researching this at the minute. I wonder can anyone give me some examples? One combination that we have looked at so far is a week Capjuluca on Anguilla and 10 days in Antigua (in a more affordable hotel to keep costs down). We would like a mix of one really good hotel, mixed with one or two slightly more affordable ones! <BR><BR>Important to us is: <BR>being right on a beach<BR>good food<BR>water-skiing<BR>A few good restaurants nearby to try<BR>Some activity at night - band, etc - not interested in clubs, etc.<BR><BR>We are flying from London.<BR><BR>Has anyone any other suggestions I could look into??<BR><BR>Thank you very much!<BR><BR>Vicky

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:05 AM
Nancy

One suggestion would be Anguilla combined with french St. Martin and St. Barts. Stay at La Banane in St. Barts and at L'Hoste Hotel at Orient Beach St. Martin if you want less expensive lodging. <BR>You can go into Google or Lycos and type out above resorts-&quot;L'Hoste Hotel, St. Martin&quot; etc.<BR>Also reference Where2Stay for info and travelers comments.<BR>You could combine Antigua with french St. Martin. Sandals Antigua is an adults only resort with several pools, jacuzzis, a spa and lush grounds. Several sailing and snorkling tours are offered plus other activities. Sandals has been offering discounts so you might look into that.<BR>Also the Peter Island Resort in the British Virgin Islands is very romantic combined with a stay in St. John in the American Virgin Islands at a less expensive place like the all suites Lavender Hill Estates. You would be able to walk into Cruz Bay where the restaurants are and where you can dance to music at night <BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:15 AM
Vicky

Thanks Nancy, that was really helpful, I'll definitely look into your suggestions. Any others out there??<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Vicky

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:29 AM
Sue

Vicky<BR><BR>How about the Grenadines, or the Grenada and her islands. Sounds crazy, but these are not the same thing at all! I've not been to the Grenadines, but I think that moving down the chain is possible.<BR><BR>I'm about to fly to Grenada from London, and then hop across to Carriacou (have separate post on the go to try to find out more about Carriacou before we go). There are masses of hotels of all prices on Grenada, that cover all your activities. <BR><BR>Then it's a 20 min flight or 1.5 hour boat trip to Carriacou, which appears a much more simple and laid back place. The really good thing is that prices there are low for the Caribbean....there are no upscale hotels, but a range of villas at reasonable prices, so you may want to indulge in a villa with its own pool. Don't think you'll get much in the way of nightlife.<BR><BR>We have found <BR>www.grenadines.net and<BR>www.islandvillas.com the most useful places to look.<BR><BR>When are you going? We'll be back in mid-Feb with first hand info, if that would help

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:27 PM
johnno

To clarify, &quot;St. Vincent and the Grenadines&quot; is a country that includes St. Vincent and a bunch of smaller islands stretching south. Carriacou and Grenada are just south of the Grenadines. My favorite island in the Grenadines is Bequia. It's small, very laid back and beautiful (and reasonably affordable).<BR>I agree that St. Martin/Anguilla/St. Barth's is a great trip. Three very different islands that are very close to each other.<BR>If you want even more of a French flavor, another 2-island combo that you might want to consider is Guadeloupe and Ile de Saintes (you'll have to check my spelling on that one). Guadeloupe is a beautiful island with rain forests, waterfalls, nice beaches, good restaurants, etc. Ile de Saintes is reachable by ferry from Guadeloupe. It's like a smaller, much less expensive and much less pretentious version of St. Barth's.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Carrie

I agree try the grenadines.I went a few years ago with a friend.We stayed on Bequia which was the best!The sailing to all the surrounding islands is so close and beautiful.It's different from the BVI'S,a little more laid back and old time.It's my favorite.Really neat islands to explore.We sailed on a non-motorized sailboat.Now that's work!But it's real sailing!

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:07 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:36 AM
curiousx

It's quite easy to island hope through from St. Vincent to Grenada using local ferry service and/or small interisland air services. Sometimes you can also hitch a ride with yachties.<BR><BR>Google searches on SVG Air, Mustique Airways, Osprey Ferry, and St. Vincent Ferry Schedule will get you everything you need.<BR><BR>I leave on Thursday for 5 weeks in the Grenadines, and will be doing just that !