Reload this Page >

Are the Bahamas Overdeveloped?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:27 AM
guy

My wife and I are thinking about going to Sandals in the Bahamas and are concerned that it will be overdeveloped and tacky? We don't want the Carribean version of Myrtle Beach if you know what I mean. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<BR>Thanks

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Not a Sandals fan

In my opinion Sandals is the epitome of &quot;overdeveloped and tacky&quot;. If you want something less developed and more elegant there are lots of other choices in the Bahamas and the Caribbean.<BR>I'm not an all-inclusive person but there are other AI's that do it better without the tacky crap, like the Sandals insignia inside the swimming pool.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 08:34 AM
x

If you want to see the true beauty of the Bahamas, go the the Out Islands. Avoid like the plague; Paradise Island, Nassau, and Freeport.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 09:15 AM
guy

not a sandals fan: what are the non-tacky AI's that you would suggest.<BR>thanks

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Not a sandals fan

1) La Source-Grenada<BR>2) Le Sport-St Lucia<BR>3)my favorite Peter Island. Does not bill itself as &quot;all-inclusive&quot; rather FAP-Full American Plan, breakfast lunch and dinner included. On vacation, I want privacy, service, excellent food and it's nearly impossible for an AI to deliver this. It's contrary to the nature of the beast.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Tabatha

Guy, <BR><BR>There are a lot of sandals bashers on this board, personally I have never been..but I have seen that resort, tacky..yes! but if you are looking for a great ai, I am sure it will suite your needs, it has for many people. <BR><BR>I find you can get a better ai for less $$. If you are looking at nassau, there is lots to do in itself and paradise island and cable beach is beautiful. Try looking into the radisson, breezes is much cheaper and has excellent evening activities. <BR><BR>Keep in mind no one is in any kind of hurry down there, relax, talk to the people and take the bus! Have fun!<BR>(and go parasailing!)

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 01:16 PM
joan

Hey not a sandals fan: How's this for tacky? Back in the 80's we went to Couples Ocho Rios - it had just opened. Imagine our surprise when we pulled up in our rum-soaked bus, only to realize the stone lions on the entry way were really two lions humping! I think that's still their insignia today. Must say we had a great time (even got the tshirt to prove it, but we've &quot;evolved&quot; to private villas now...mmmm!

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 02:46 PM
travelbuff

I would suggest one of the outislands as being perfect for your needs, like Abaco, Eleuthera, Harbour Island. There are many nice places like The Cove on Eleuthera or Romora Bay on Harbour Island.<BR><BR>What you will find on alot of the outislands are resorts and hotels with map plans which include breakfast and dinner.<BR><BR>Try www.briland.com for more info on resorts there and rates for on and off season as well as lots of pictures.<BR><BR>Also try the www.abaco.com board and www.where2stay.com <BR><BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Robert

Just look at the plight of the Clifton beach area on New Providence, and you'll see how overdevelopment can ruin an island and its ecology and culture. Robert

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:28 AM
GM

I agree about trying someplace in the Abacos islands. Paradise Island, Nassau and Freeport are, as you stated, the &quot;Carib. version of Myrtle Beach&quot; and even worse in some aspects.<BR><BR>I TOTALLY agree with the poster 'Not a Sandals Fan' - these are great properties noted in that post. Check out any of these websites.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Gini

If you want an all inclusive on an underdeveloped island, try Columbus Isle Club Med on San Salvador Island, Bahamas. They just reopened in December. To learn more about San Sal, visit www.sansalvadorbahamas.com

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:51 AM
readit

This wouldn´t be a broschure from th Ministry of Tourism: see www.the-bahamas.de

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To &quot;readit&quot;: what the heck are you talking about? This is an English site...the following quote from your website is pure gibberish...at the very least, you need a better translator if you're trying to convince all of us to avoid the Bahamas!<BR><BR>&quot;With all OF this economic tower oil and blatant crime surrounding US, incoming goods decided tons of CUT our of the Bahamas vacation short by A week and go home&quot;<BR><BR>Huh???