Is Trunk Bay overrated?

Search

Is Trunk Bay overrated?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Trunk Bay overrated?

I read that Trunk bay was in the top 10 of world's best beaches. Then I've read that it is overcrowded and a port for cruise ships, doesn't sound that grest anymore? Anyone been? Thankyou!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 02:08 PM

been to St. Johns twice, St. Thomas and Virgin Gorda. We snorked at all. Trunk Bay is very overrated, crowded, not great fish unless you are very patient and you want to go where cruise ships don't send the day trippers. Where are you staying down there? It is worth it to save your $ and empty your piggy bank and hire a boat for a day trip with a captain. Your hotel can arrange oryou can - I ahve the number of a great service we use and the two guys from tehre we've used somewhere upstairs and can dig it out if you want . THey take you to snorkel at the Indians and we see everything out there, also to the Caves, where you will see some but more if you are brave and go in a ways; also they will take you all around the islands to other hidden snorkeling spots / on tortolla with hidden swimming gems, stop for lunch or pack one, either way ask the captain to join you for lunch or pack some extra - you can bring cooler on board or he will supply and you can just get ice and snacks. you could eat anywhere on a vvariety of other islands plus go to foxy's for a ddrink - it's a great day and away from any cruise ships and usually few people where he takes us. you will need to bring your passport as some of the islands are us virgin islands and some are bvi. this is my suggestion if this is hte area you are in and love snorkeling. We have snorkeled in Great Barrier Reef, so I compare everything to that, nothing comes close, but this is the way i've found the best in the St. John/usvi/bvi area.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 02:43 PM

I'm fan of St. John and my opinion is that it's overrated to visit. To look at, it's not overrated. Having said that, there's a jillion other beaches on St. John that are outstanding.

Let's face it, beaches are very subjective. Some of my favorites are off Great Guana and Cat Island in the Bahamas.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:22 PM

lily,
I feel that Trunk bay is a beautiful beach with great water clarity.The snorkeling trail to the cay was great for us..we saw a variety of fish.

We went during June and Sept.of this year.

In June..we would ask which were cruise ship days and avoid Trunk bay on those days.The cruise ship actually ports in St Thomas and the people take the ferry to St John.June was alot more crowded on all of the beaches.But we still were able to find a few days that Trunk bay was not that crowded.

In Sept..we had a great time with most of the beaches (including Trunk Bay)to ourselves with the exception of a couple of people.

I also highly recommend Francis Bay..great for snorkeling calm waters.

Though Sept. was the peak for hurricane season..we had wonderful weather and alot less people.We bought trip insurance...just to be safe.

If you like St John after your first visit..definitely go back during "off season" during September or October..it's the perfect time to go!

Christie

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:27 AM
KVR

We visited St. John in May and thought Trunk Bay was overrated compared to 7 Mile Beach in Grand Cayman.

Trunk Bay is a very nice beach, with good water clarity, but it was crowded. Not only do they drop off cruise passengers, but all the tour groups from St. Thomas and St. John visit there also. The cost of chairs and food/drink very pricey. 2 pina colodas and 1 hot dog was $20.00. We did the under ground snorkel trial and saw 1 fish. We were advised that they do not allow vistors to feed the fish so not much of a variety.

We preferred Coki Beach on St. Thomas over Trunk Bay. It was just as crowded, but food/drink at Coral World less expensive and lots of fish.

We also enjoyed the day trip we took to the BVI's better than St. Thomas or St. John. However, for an excellant beach with great snorkeling, Grand Cayman wins hands down for us.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Yes, it is very much so. There are nicer beaches on the island. Plus Trunk gets really crowded! I would much rather go to a beach with few people.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM

It is one of the most beautiful beaches visually. Unfortunately, everyone and his brother is rushing to see it so it can get overcrowded. Frankly, I hope everyone will count as overrated and then there will be fewer people.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:47 PM

ESCARGOT: We'll be there in July, and would LOVE to have the name of those guys when it's not too much trouble for you to find it.
THANK YOU!
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Yup, it's definitely overrated. Very pretty when you're looking down at it from the winding road above, but that's about it. And the snorkel trail was disappointing because it's a dying reef from over-use. St. John has many beaches, each one more beautiful than the next. And it also has terrific snorkeling along the sides of most of the beaches. We went once to Trunk Bay just to say "we've been there," but when we return to St. John this December, we will definitely go there.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Sorry, about the typing. That should have said "will definitely NOT go to Trunk!"
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:14 PM

i have visited st. john many times in the past 10 yrs..have been to Trunk once/snorkeled the trail..and since then have not been back. yes, it is a beautiful beach but the reef looks pretty bad to me and not much life to it.im sure half the problems are due to the overcrowding and over use w/cruise tour stops. that said, don't let it keep you from st. john..there are many other great, beautiful beaches where you can snorkel and see so much life...so many fish,turtles,star fish etc.!!don't hesitate to explore all the options this island has to offer !!as for cost of food and drink, imo when in the caribbean the BEST BEACHES have NO vendors .. if i want hot dogs i'll go to Coney Island !!!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:33 PM

Hello lily! Trunk Bay is a beautiful beach no doubt! It is touristy and crowded though. If you want to visit a classic beach in St. John that isnt crowded, go to Hawksnest beach AND Cinnamon Bay. Great snorkeling at both and classically beautiful Caribbean beaches.