WHAT TO DO ST. JOHN/ST. THOMAS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are making a couple of day trips to St. John and St Thomas from Tortola. We like to site see and snorkel. Any recommendations for the best spots for these activities or suggestions about some other attractions?
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:06 PM

On St. Thomas there is a very nice aquarium at Coki Point, with snorkeling off the adjacent beach. On St. John, you can tour the National Park, and there is a snorkeling trail at Trunk Bay. Try lunch at Caneel Bay Resort, with its restaurant at water's edge, with wade-in snorkeling.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:16 PM

Hello seahag,

We travelled to all 3 islands you mentioned last march. I have to comment that Coki beach is full of cruise ship crowds.They were dropped off by the busload the day we were there. The beach was crowded and the snorkeling sucked ,quite frankly. The best snorkeling we did was to a site called the "indians", some rock outcroppings and caves which was located in the bvi and accessible only by boat. Trunk bay in st. john was ok for shore snorkeling. If you want a really unique snorkel experience, i would suggest the "baths" of virgin gorda--a beach/sea area filled with boulders. As for the best beach,my vote goes to magen's bay beach in st. thomas which was rated one of the most beautiful beaches in the world by nat'l geograpic--uncrowded, powdery sand, and a stunning setting. As for siteseeing, all 3 islands are gorgeous, and a drive around any of them(by yourself or taxi) will easily exhaust a roll of film. For shopping, st. thomas is the obvious choice.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:56 AM

Hi Seahag,

Trunk Bay is the cruise ship destination for snorkling on STJ. It's pretty...but generally pretty crowded too.

If you want one of the best places to snorkel, go to Leinster Bay, do a short hike out to Waterlemon Cay and snorkle around the island. This, in my experience having been to STJ multiple times is the place with the most marine life to see and is a great spot for snorkling. My other favorites are Salt Pond Bay and the beach at Little Lamesur Bay on the South side of the island out past Coral Bay. You'll want to grab lunch at Skinny Legs in Coral Bay too if you can.

Have a great trip! Trish
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:24 AM

Trish's suggestions would definitely capture the flavor of St. John. Agree with the snorkeling sites and would throw in Haulover, if the wind cooperates. Possibly lunch at Vie's on the East End.