jost van dyke

Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

jost van dyke

Initially when I started looking for places for my next trip. It was to be solely STJ. Now I am falling for the charm of Jost Van Dyke. My questions are, is it feasable to spend the last 2 nights of a 7 night vacation from STJ to JVD? Looks like a ferry runs Fri,Sat,Sun. Also on the way back, take the ferry from JVD to Red Hook and leave out of STT?

Also, any recommendations for accomodations on JVD or other input appreciated.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
DerekD

I think it would be pushing to try and get from Jost Van Dyke to St. Thomas in time for a flight - unless your St. Thomas flight is late.

I definitely think that Jost Van Dyke would be a great day trip for you. With 7 days on St. John, you just might be trying to do too much.

Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:58 AM

There are some great day trips to JVD - - New Horizons is the best - also gets you to the Baths. Also, it is often difficult to find good lodgings on Jost. Enjoy
Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:25 PM

Not sure you can clear customs at Red Hook. Something to consider. Day trip may be the way to visit JVD from St. John. It's on my list of 'thing to do' on our next St. John trip.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice and it is very well taken. Guess I was getting a little too ambitious, but I can't really fathom the distances too well as I have never been there. Didn't even think of the customs glitch.
I will stick to my original plan. Had already read about New Horizons II, the powerboat trip to 4 islands and plan on doing it. That is how I got interested in JVD. We will have to just take the ferry for the day trip there. It looks like a great place to hang on the beach, little "bar hopping". Also, I didn't expect too much out the accomodations. Looks like they have 3, maybe 4 places.

Jan 4th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I believe that New Horizons II will pick you up on St. John; however I am not certain. You might check with them. It would save you time and a ferry trip.
Also, if you enjoy bar hopping, there is one directly at the water's edge with a definite Caribbean flavor in Cruz Bay. I cannot recall its name, but it is located next to Low Key Water Sports. A great place for wonderful Caribbean barbeque is Uncle Joe's across from the post office close to the ferries'dock.