Reload this Page >

Hurricanes in the end of August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:15 AM
lap

Hi. I am thinking about a trip to Bermuda for the last week of Aug. Does anyone know whether Bermuda has an active hurricane season? I know it all depends on situations, but should I reconsider my trip? Thanks

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:21 AM
Nancy

Bermuda is on about the same longitude (or is it latitude?) as North Carolina, and we have had some bad hurricanes at that time of year.<BR>A lot of the tropical waves and hurricane activity that come off of the coast of Africa at that time of the year turn north and head toward Bermuda.<BR>While chances of your getting hit while you're there are probably slim, I have had enough near misses in the Caribbean in early Septemeber that I do not go then anymore.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:24 AM
TAnya

I have travelled to Bermuda for the last few years the 1st week of September. A hurricane was on our tail as we left the Island but it never did come close enough for any damage. I think the last big hurricane to hit was in the early 1990's(correct me if I am wrong). They certainly have lots of warnings and watches but I wouldn't let it defer my vacation to such a wonderful place! BTW, hurricane season takes place from May to October.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:29 AM
XXX

Hurrican Season in the Caribbean and East Coast is June 1 to the end of November. Peak is late september and early october. Get trip insurance.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:03 AM
Nancy

xxx is right. The season runs June thru November. The research I have done (NOAA, etc.) finds the peak in early September.<BR>For the time, money and effort spent planning your vacation, I would not chance getting it ruined by rain or storms. Insurance will not cover a system stalling in your area causing rain for your entire vacation.<BR>You might plan to go somewhere that has much less of a chance of getting hit (far south Caribbean) if you can't change your dates.