When exactly is Hurricane Season?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a short 4-day vacation to the Destin - Fort Walton Beach area with a few friends. We're thinking of going in late Sept or early Oct, but wonder about hurricane season. I'm finding articles that say hurricane season is June-Nov but that seems way too broad. Don't most hurricanes hit in Aug or Sept?

I know the likelihood of one hitting when we are there is quite small, but we're all flying to get to this destination and it'd be a major bummer to have to pack up and leave early.

Does anyone know when hurricane season at its height, and what kind of weather we'll likely encounter in Florida's Emereld Coast in Sept-Oct?
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Hurricane Season is June 1 to Nov 30. However, there can be hurricanes before / after the season. That being said, most major hurricanes happen in Aug / Sept due to the water temps being higher. You cannot plan around hurricanes but you are probably safe in that timeframe.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:41 PM
OO

It is June 1 through Nov 30, but the majority of the storms are from late August to early October.

How you'll feel about the weather pretty much depends on where you are coming from. If New England, you might find it a little warm. If central US, you shouldn't have much problem with it. I think it's beautiful in October, but then I lived in FL for 8.5 years, and Savannah before that.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:41 PM

June 1 to November 30. Where I live in Florida (east coast) we are statistically more likely to be hit by a hurricane in August or September, but in 2005 there was a hurricane in December (out in the Atlantic - I don't think it ever hit land).
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:45 PM

The good thing about hurricanes is that they issue all sorts of warnings, with greater accuracy the closer it gets, days prior to storm. And airlines in past have been good about issuing refunds and free re-booking in event of storm.

I would go, watch weather a day or 2 prior to vacation, and make decision then - there is actually very little chance a hurricane will hit that specific area on your specific days.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM

Sept. 10 is the peak of hurricane season, and hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico tend to occur later in the season, Sept. and Oct. However, my husband and I spent a week in the Destin area in late September and the weather was terrific. Sunny, no rain, low humidity, absolutely perfect. And there were no crowds. So if I were you, I'd take my chances and go for it.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 01:44 PM

I live about 60 or so miles west of the Ft. Walton/Destin Beaches. As others have said, our most active time is generally August through mid-October.

Of the last 3 big hurricanes we've had in the last 15 years one was early August (Erin 1995), early October (Opal 1995) and mid-September (Ivan 2004).

However, as others also said, the chances of your 4 days being the time the hurricane hits are slim and airlines and hotels/condos are generally very easy to deal with if an evacuation order has been issued or is likely.

Those of us who live here don't plan our lives around the possibility that a storm will hit and ruin some event because the odds are against that happening. My daughter was married on the beach in early October.

Late September and October are glorious here. The days aren't so hot and steamy but the nights are still warm and balmy. The summer tourists are gone and the snowbirds haven't yet arrived. With the sun already about halfway back to its southernmost point the sunsets can be stunning.

Another good point, the water is still warm. (Which is why it's still active hurricane season.) And that makes swimming, wading, etc. a lot more pleasant.

Hopes this helps.

Fran
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Like FlaFran said, Sept~Oct most likely for the panhandle. We went to Perdido last August and opted for the hurricane/trip insurance so we could get our deposit back in case of a hurricane making landfall there. You might want to check if you have that option from whom you are renting. Most places require at least a two week notice to get your money back.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
While once hit, the effects last a long time.

However, a hurricane comes seldom and lasts a short period of time.

During any period of time, the chances of being hit by a hurricane is miniscule.

Come, enjoy yourself and don't worry.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight. You've all put my mind at ease. We're going to go for it! After the winter we've had in Wisconsin, I can't wait to hit the beach!