Search

hotels on a beach

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels on a beach

Planning to go to PR in June 08 for 7 days and looking for a resort hotel that has a pool and is on the beach. The Sheraton Old San Juan sounds like a nice place but is not on the water. But is it worth the stay?
Should I split the time and go to one of the islands?
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you stay in the area of San Juan/Condado, you are a quick cab ride for a day trip to Old San Juan. If you want beach, I would not stay in Old San Juan.
We went to the Caribe Hilton last April. It is a large hotel, with lots of restaurants, large pool area, and a beach that is more of a lagoon. The reefs break the waves. Out and around the reefs was some good snorkeling.

On the Condado, the Marriott was a nice resort. We had dinner there one night. We also walked around the El San Juan hotel which I believe is in Isle Verde. That hotel was very nice as well. The water on the Condado is rough and so you must take care swimming. I would pick one hotel, taxi to Old San Juan for a day or dinner, rent a car for a day or two and see some of the rest of the island which has a rainforest and some very nice beaches. Enjoy!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 04:21 AM

I would consider splitting your stay, with 2 nights in old San Juan and 5 nights at a beach resort to get the full spectrum of what the city has to offer. I'll let other folks suggest beach resorts, since I've never stayed at one on PR.

In OSJ, the Sheraton is a solid choice in terms of price, value, and location. I stayed there one night earlier this year and found the rooms very comfortable, especially those beds! Once you're inside, though, you really could be at any large, impersonal chain hotel of a certain quality. If I could have afforded it this time, I would much rather have stayed at El Convento again, a perfectly charming and beautiful place also in OSJ, but since it's a 17th century converted convent, you also get a fantastic sense of place. Rooms are small and modern, with air conditioning, a small balcony, flat screen tv, Bose radio, but furnished with antique reproductions, exposed timber beams in the ceiling, and large black and white marble floors. The hotel is built around a courtyard which is just beautiful, it has a tiny rooftop pool, and a very nice wine & cheese reception nightly for its guests.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much. Splitting the time may be a good idea. Has anyone stayed at the Hyatt Hacinda del Mar in Dorado? It looks nice from the pics.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Hyatt Hacienda del Mar is a timeshare resort and is not generally open to regular hotel bookings. The former Hyatt in Dorado was one of the island's best, but unfortunately it was deemed to old to be saved and was torn down about a year ago.

If you want to be outside of San Juan, I'd recommend the Wyndham Rio Mar, which is east of San Juan. El Conquistador is also a pretty good large resort in Fajardo.

But the most convenient hotels to San Juan (on the best beaches) are those in the Isla Verde section, including the Ritz-Carlton and the surprisingly nice Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort.

If you are going to Vieques or Culebra, where none of the hotels is on a great beach (though where the island's best beaches are breathtaking), then and only then might you want to split your time between a night or two in Old San Juan and the smaller island. If you stay on the main island, then you can easily do day-trips into San Juan from almost anywhere on the island.

El Convento is one of the best hotels. But check out the Normandie Hotel as well; it's not on a great beach--just a small man-made one--but it's convenient.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

thank you Doug
in fact, I am a timeshare owner who can stay at the Hacienda or the Embassy Suites - but I will look into the beaches on Isle Verde.
blessisngs for of your help
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 05:34 AM

The Hacienda is probably on a better beach than anything you'd find in San Juan (even Isla Verde). I believe that Hyatt retained many of the facilities of the old Hyatt Dorado for the time-share property, so if you can stay there, that's probably what I'd recommend.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks again Doug

Hyatt Dorado it is!