Puerto Rico

May 22nd, 2006, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Puerto Rico

My husband and I are planning a kid-less trip to Puerto Rico in July for 5 nights. We are in our late-30's/early 40's and need suggestions on where to stay -- probably in San Juan and any suggestions or "must sees"...we like it all.....beach, night-life, history, adventure....no, really!

May 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM

The best beach resorts are in Isla Verde or Condado beach, the best nightlife would be in Old San Juan. Old San Juan is the 'cultural' area with historic sights.

I recommend you stay at a beach resort or hotel. You can take a taxi into Old San Juan for sight-seeing and dining. It's a quick ride. Also worth visiting is El Yunque, the rain forest. You can rent a car for the day and drive there.

We stayed at the Marriott on Condado Beach. We chose it because we wanted to be walking distance to restaurants 'in town', and we wanted a nice beach. The hotel was nice, but it wasn't a resort type facility. I think there may be hotels with more of a resort feel in Isla Verde. There were several restaurants nearby but we found the restaurants at the hotel to be better than most we found in town. Although we were with our kids, so that did limit our choices.

Also the pool at the Marriot was on the small side and quite crowded (dominated by a pool volleyball set up. We spent almost all of our time on the beach, which was quite nice. Umbrella and beach chair rentals were available.
May 23rd, 2006, 11:24 AM

I was just in Puerto Rico 2 weeks ago inspecting properties in San Juan. If you'd like to stay in the Old San Juan area, a fantastic option would be "El Convento". If you'd like something on the beach, by far, The El San Juan Hotel has it all. No need to look elsewhere unless you want a budget property. Otherwise, on the west coast of the island, The El Conquistador is the place you want to look at. However, that is a good 1/2 hour west of San Juan and there isn't much else there besides the resort. My suggestion, The El San Juan Hotel.
May 25th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Not sure what your budget is but I would suggest looking into the following hotels in Isla Verde - El San Juan Resort (formerly a Wyndham property), the Ritz Carlton and the Intercontinental. I believe that the El San Juan is undergoing room renovations, but I do not know how disruptive that may be. In the Condado area, I would look at the Marriott and the Condado Plaza. Also, you might want to check the Caribe Hilton - which is located in between Condado and Old San Juan.
May 25th, 2006, 09:44 AM

I would suggest breaking up the trip into two segments--start off in Vieques (a quick puddle jumper flight from San Juan) for 3 nights to take advantage of the fantastic beaches, laid-back atmosphere, easygoing local folk, and above all, the bioluminescent bay. Hacienda Tamarindo or Inn on the Blue Horizon would be good choices for a quiet, romantic inn setting. Or perhaps the Martineau Bay Resort for a more traditional beach resort. Then head back to Old San Juan for 2 nights, which would give you a fix for cultural & historical sites as well as shopping, nightlife and world class dining. El Convento is an ideal choice of places to stay in OSJ.