Reload this Page >

Hopetown Elbow Cay Info

Search

Hopetown Elbow Cay Info

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Lisa

Hopetown Elbow Cay Info

We are traveling to Hopetown the 1st week of April, 2003. <BR><BR>How's the weather that time of year? Will we need sweatshirts?<BR><BR>Has anyone ever stayed at Abaco Inn?<BR><BR>We will be staying in at Abaco Inn one night and then checking into a beachfront home with some friends for 8 nights. <BR><BR>We purchased Dodge's Cruising Guide to the <BR>Abacos... great guide.<BR> <BR>We're renting an Albury boat for the week and plan to play all day, hopefully catch some fish, and chill out with some leisurely dinners on the deck in the evenings.<BR><BR>Any hot spots for snorkeling, fishing, restaurants, live music, etc.?<BR><BR>Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Eva

Lisa, sounds like you have mostly everything covered. Elbow Cay is a great destination, but being as far north as it is (28 degrees north latitude) and close the the North American mainland, it is susceptible to cold fronts even as late as April. Therefore, you would be well-advised to have a sweatshirt, sweater or windbreaker to ward off the chill should that happen. On the other hand, you may have perfect weather -- but you're better off prepared.<BR><BR>The Abaco Inn is a great spot, situated on a narrow piece of land between the Atlantic Ocean and White Sound on the Sea of Abaco. It's &quot;barefoot casual,&quot; and one of the nicest spots in the Abacos; a lively bar and lounge and a good restaurant round out the scene. You can't go wrong with the Abaco Inn, the Dodge guide, or an Albury boat (which are built locally, on Man-O-Way Cay).<BR><BR>Some must-sees/must-dos: climb the lighthouse; get a key lime pie from Vernon (ask for the recipe; you'll want to make it yourself); go to Tahiti Beach at low tide; eat at Sea Spray, Harbour's Edge, Rudy's and Captain Jack's; if the water is calm, motor up to Baker's Bay on Great Guana Cay; go to Nipper's on Great Guana.<BR><BR>Whatever you do, you can't to it all, so get ready to book a return trip.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:03 AM
John

Check out www.abacoboard.com for all the info you will ever need about the Abacos (next to Dodges Cruising Guide).<BR>Lots of great info).<BR>Eva's advice is right on.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Rpbert

You'll have a great time, even thought the Sea of Abaco could be a little rough in April. Riches Rental is well-established and caters to your needs. I've used them in the past. A Boston Whaler, not the small sized ones, but medium may be better if the waters are rough. Definately visit Nippers, but don't go around to the Atlantic side of Great Guana Cay; go and dock in the settlement's docks on the Sea of Abaco side, and Nippers is a 4 minute walk from there. If the Atlantic is calm, snorkel off of Nipper's beach; great reef just 70 feet offshore. You will see myriads of reef fish, coral, sponges, octopus, moray eels, etc. For extra fun, rent a golfcart from Donna Sands, and tour the whole cay, including High Rocks. Any of you Great Guana Cay lovers..did Milo pass away? Please advise. Robert

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 08:31 AM
AbacoPeach

No, Milo is quite alive. His sister, Vera, passed recently.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 01:57 PM
Robert

Thanks Abaco Peach; I'm yearning to return to Abaco. Robert

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:06 AM
AbacoPeach

I have seen you post mainly here and some on the Abaco Message Board. Sounds as if Guana is near and dear to your heart as it is mine. We are going back 11/23-11/30 and just confirmed for May/June, 2003. Hope to see you on Guana some time. Maybe we could have a cold one at Nipper's. Have you seen Johnny's new baby?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:40 PM
Robert

We'll be heading down to Abaco in July. Were thinking about visiting Elbow in April, but want more of assurance that good scuba and snorkeling will be available. I do reef surveys and will be going to Cat Island in April instead. I do not know Johnny, although I'd probably recognize his face if I saw it. Have enjoyed many Kaliks at Coco and Nippers, Dolphin Beach and <BR>Seaside Resort on Guana. My first contact and good talk was with Milo at the store in the settlement in the late 80's. Bought my first Bahama T-shirt which said, on the front, &quot;It's Better In The Bahamas...&quot; Then, on the back of the T-shirt it said, &quot;...But It's Gooder In Guana Cay, Abaco, Bahamas.&quot; Is Milo's store still in operation? Robert

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:38 AM
AbacoPeach

In answer to question about Milo's store, yes and no. When we were there in May/June, he was not selling T-shirts but was selling pickled onions, some produce and conch shells. The scuttlebutt is that he and his brother, Edmond, are going to open a fish market. Will let you know more when we get back from Thanksgiving week. Johnny Roberts is part owner and pretty much runs Nipper's. See the website at www.nippersbar.com.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Robert

Thanks, Abaco Peach; I enjoyed their produce, top compliment the items bought at the grocery store in the settlement. I remember the little stand they'd set up next to Milo's. Robert