planning a trip to abacos

Aug 28th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

planning a trip to abacos

Hi,
Planning a trip to the abacos for easter week. We usually rent a house on the north shore of grand cayman. We have also rented a villa in st john. We are trying somewhere different this year and confused about what area we would enjoy. We have two adventurous teenage sons, who like to fish, snorkel and hoping to spot some sharks. Alsao have a very active outgoing 12yo daughter and 6yo boy. Looking into great guana or elbow. Wondering if dolphin beach or guana seaside would be a good choice, or would it be too quiet. Also wondering which is the best snorkeling island and will the water be warm enough in late march/april to snorkel. Thanks for the help.
Susan
Aug 29th, 2004, 07:15 AM

I've been to Great Guana Cay a half dozen times, and stayed at Guana Seaside, which is on the Sea of Abaco. Dolphin Beach is on the Atlantic side. Except for Nippers, the cay can be very peaceful. The road from the settlement to Guana Beach used to be a long and fun haul via golf cart, but recently they have paved the "road", which is about wide enough for two golf carts to squeeze by each other. I'm sure the new paved road is slightly wider, though. Even though the cay is from from a touristry, Disneyland (thank goodness), there are great snorkeling sites. I've conducted reef surveys on this particular cay many times, and know of great snorkeling areas in unexpected areas from shore. If you'd like, I'd list them from my notes. Robert
Aug 29th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robert,
I have done a search and read many of your very informative posts. Have you ever been there in march or april, wondering if the water is still to chilly to snorkel in.
Thanks,
Susan
Aug 29th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Don't forget to check out the Abacos at this board:

http://coconuttelegraph.net/cgi-bin/...ds/abacos.cgi?
Aug 29th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Hi, Susan; by the way "Roberto" is another person (not me) who often offers good recommendations. I agree with Roberto's recommendation to consult the coconut telegraph site. Several times the waters in both the Sea of Abaco and the Atlantic can be pretty rough in April, too rough for me to rent a Boston Whaler and explore the neat patch reefs. It's a chance as far as roughness. But, the waters are warming up at this time. I've snorkeled there in December-February with a thin wetsuit. In April the temp is warmer and OK. Robert
Aug 29th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Troy at Dive Guana could answer your snorkeling question. No one will be able to predict the weather.

http://www.diveguana.com/

Appreciate the comment Robert but you're the fish man.
Aug 29th, 2004, 05:34 PM

backyard icthiologist, please. Another way of saying "fish nerd." Robert
Aug 29th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Robert,

I'll have to call my two teen boys that name. They have a 250 gallon salt water fish tank and a 800 gal shark tank. See why they want to go to the Abacos!! My neighbors think Im crazy.
Susan
Aug 30th, 2004, 02:33 AM

Wow! If you stay on Great Guana Cay, visit the dock area at Guana Seaside Village. A young teen constructed an artificial reef at the end of the dock. It's occupied by a large Nassau Grouper, Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Angel fish, wrasse, school masters, etc., etc., etc. My last day there, I was snorkeling in this "reef", which is actually large stones and discarded building material, and was joined by two Spotted Eagle Rays. I videod them underwater, and they allowed me to approach them closely. Also, they would enjoy the dive op at Dolphin Beach. Troy, the owner, and his wife will take them out for a neat snorkeling expedition to Fowl Cay Reef. There is also a neat snorkeling area along the huge stone breakwall to the left of the dive op there. Also, off of Nippers, on the Atlantic side of Guana Cay, is a wonderful reef system. Robert
Aug 30th, 2004, 07:28 AM

We were on Elbow Cay this past April. We thought the water was warm enough to snorkel and swim. We did a day trip to Fowl Cay with Froggies and the water was not choppy and the visibility was great. However I hear that the water can sometimes be rough. We did a day trip to Guana. I loved Guana.I thought it was neater/quainter/quieter than Elbow (but thats just my opinion). I thought the beach by Nippers was the best out of all the other ones we visited in the Abacos. When we were there is was so calm and the colors soooo turquoise and empty. However Guana seems more quieter than elbow. But both are peaceful and relaxing cays. The restaurant selection is much better on Elbow. Have a great time whereever you decide to go.
Aug 30th, 2004, 09:57 AM

I had the same dilemna earlier this year. We chose Elbow over Guana (we were two couples) because there's more of a "town" to go to in the evenings and for shopping. The general concensus is that Elbow is livelier, but Guana has slightly nicer accommodations. However, that said, there are certainly luxury level homes to be rented on Elbow - with pool, oceanfront, all amenities. And if you're a make-your-own-fun kind of family, either island will do. You will need a golfcart on Elbow, unless you stay in Hopetown. I did a trip report here, but cannot seem to link to it. It was called Abaco Adventure Trip Report (click on my name and scroll down to July 9 2004).

With regard to water temps, I think it will be very cool - however I'm from Florida and rather warm-blooded. Get some "rashguard" shirts for your kids and even for yourself. These are neat thin turtleneck surfing shirts - they might be just enough to make the difference.

We loved the Abacos! Have a great time!