Search

Elbow Cay, Abacos

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elbow Cay, Abacos

We will be arriving in 2 weeks and are considering renting a boat. Should we wait till we get there or reserve ahead? We are not experienced boaters will be washed out to sea or safe exploring the various Islands? We like to snorkel, should we worry about sharks? Will there be grocery stores open to get supplies on Sunday? How about restaurants on the island? Any special things that we should see or do besides kicking back and relaxing??
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 07:03 AM

Wow! Good old Abaco and her outer cays, like Elbow Cay. I've done many reef surveys there, so here goes, from my diary of trips reports I'll try to abstract pertinent items: YES! Rent a boat. Consult in the internet "Abaco Community Message Board" and read in the left margin about boat safety and renting one. The Sea of Abaco is safe and not as dangerous as the Atlantic outside the string of cays on Abaco's eastern side. You will want to explore all the cays in a rental boat in the calm Sea of Abaco, like Great Guana and Man-Of-War cays. Buy a good quality snorkel, mask, and fins, and take them with you. On Guana's north side is a best-kept secret. An abandoned cruise line beach called Bakers Bay. Great secluded beach with great snorkeling. Also, they created an island offshore by dredging, and it is grown over by palm and coconut trees. It's great for shelling. Visit Mermaid Reef off of Abaco, just down from the Jib Room. Many reef fish there, and say hi to "Rambo" for me, one of the largest barracuda I've ever seen. He followed me around for days like a dog when I snorkeled and dove there. Here's another Best Kept secret: Behind the Hope Town Harbour Lodge and behind the Methodist Church on Elbow Cay are great reefs to snorkel. A great reef is only 30 feet offshore of the HT Harbour Lodge. Take your rental and definately visit Nipper's and Coco Loco's on Guana Cay, BUT...dock on the Sea Of Abaco side in the settlement and walk to these places on the Atlantic side of the cay. Snorkel off both of them: great reefs just offshore. Many other spots, but limited space. Now, for sharks. They're everywhere in the Bahamas. Do not swim or snorkel at dusk or dawn, and do not go spear fishing...ever. Chances are, though, you won't see one. They aren't interested in eating humans. I see them often while scuba diving around Abaco, and enjoy seeing them. I have never been bothered by one. Hope this helps. Robert
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 12:16 PM

Reserve your boat NOW!! They go fast, and once you get there, it may be too late. Robert gives good advice to check the Abaco Community Message Board (www.abacoboard.com) and read the sidebar article on safe boating. There is also an article there on grocery shopping, so it would probably answer your question about which stores are open on Elbow Cay on Sundays. (Depending on where you are staying, you can also ask your host to lay in some provisions for your arrival.)<BR><BR>Plenty of great restaurants on Elbow Cay. Since the flight I usually take over to the Abacos lands around noon, I usually start my visit with lunch at Sappodilly's in Marsh Harbour (before catching the ferry over to EC) -- gets me into island time quickly. Once you get to Hopetown, good spots to eat are Harbor's Edge and Captain Jack's. We also like the Sea Spray and Abaco Inn restaurants in the White Sound area. Don't forget to try Rudy's, but do reserve in advance -- they will pick you up and drop you off.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 02:44 PM

Rent a boat and a golfcart as well to get around on the island. Get them in advance. You couldn't possibly know less about boating than I do and we went all over the place, stopping on deserted beaches, snorkling, etc. We saw the barricuda referred to above and must confess that we chickened out snorkling there. There are a number of good restaurants on elbow cay, as well as a grocery store which is probably closed on Sunday. South of elbow cay is an underwater national park with buoys which you can tie up to for snorkling. Go there. It's 15 minutes by boat. Go to Man-O-War Cay, tahiti beach, pete's pub in little harbor and cracker P's restaurant on lubbers quarters. There is no night life which is one of the greatest attractions of the place. Abaco Inn has good oceanfront restaurant. Shorts and a golf shirt is considered appropriate everywhere. Don't overpack.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the great advice!! Are shorts O.K. for the nicer restaurants too?? Would anyone recommend going back to Marsh Harbour during the week to shop or to take the ferry to another island? How big a boat would you recommend for simple exploring?
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 03:17 PM

You can wear shorts anywhere, although this time of year the possibility exists for cool nights. We rented a 17 foot boston whaler which was sufficient. Just be cautious and you'll be fine. Have a great time.