Reload this Page >

Honeymooning on Peter Island or other BVI or St. John

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 1997, 07:37 PM
Jim

I would like some advice on Peter Island or any BVI or St. John USVI. We plan on spending 10 days and would like beachfront accommadations. We hear Peter Island is the place to stay, but we would appreciate any suggestions. I hear Long Bay on Tortola is good also. We were thinking f a possible slit 5 and 5 days somewhere else. Please help!!
P.S. I've been to Grand Cayman, loved the water, but didn't like the suburban atmosphere.
Thanks
Jim

Old Aug 15th, 1997, 04:13 PM
Howard

We Honeymooned at Peter Island in 1989 and have been back every year since then. It is absolutley the most romantic, tranquil, and private island in the Caribbean. Dive BVI has a boat on Peter Island; It is the best scuba I have ever done in the world outside of the Barrier Reef in Austraila.

Only stay in the beachfront rooms. The A-frame rooms in the harbor are old and are due to be torn down this fall. We also stayed for a week a Liitle Dix Bay on the Hooneymoon. It has a great beach and very nice airy rooms but is not as private and was very, very poorly run and managed back then.
Try booking Peter Island Thru Jerry at Sun Island Holidays in Long Island, NY. He has packages sometimes less than the Rep in Michigan for Peter Island. Best of Luck HML

Old Aug 16th, 1997, 07:40 AM
Louis Dameson

Check out Guana Island www.guana.com and Cooper Island www.cooper-island.com. Drakes Anchorage at Mosquito Island is another private island that could be considered. I believe Young Island has been redone after damage from Hugo and there are no longer units at the dock. Tastes vary and Young Island would not be my first choice. They are more in the resort catagory where one tends to dress up a bit to go to dinner. Little Dix, when it was a Rock Resort, was head and shoulders above it--but that is no more. While I haven't seen it since Biras Creek has been redone, perhaps it may have some of the charm that I feel Young Island lacks. Young Island is a very safe choice. It is very much to US standards. If they still own it, you will have rooms full of Amway products. For island beauty, charm, and isolation I would put Guana Island no 1, Drake Anchorage number 2 for comfortable location on the beach on the rustic side and Cooper Island top value at minimum cost. Long Bay on Tortola is a sound choice from what I hear, I have been on the property but never stayed there.

Old Mar 20th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter is close to perfect. We perfer the old A frame "ocean view" rooms, not because of price but convience. Near the pool and breakfast in the am. The beach rooms are damp and "sweaty" on grond floor - get upper level if must have beach fromt (not necessary). We were there in Jan 2010 and food was good/very good. We pick up our own scotch @ STT where we fly in non-stop. PI will pick up on Tuesdays and Sats. Boaters are no sweat, it's the upper crust. Give them a break, ask for a deal and book direct
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM

While we were staying at The Bitter End several years ago, we met a young couple that had honeymooned at Peter Island for half of their time and came over to Virgin Gorda, Bitter End, for the other half. They loved both, PI for privacy and romantic moments, and came to Bitter End for more action (not too much) and water activities. It seemed like a great plan. If Bitter End is too famly oriented you could look into Biras Creek, a little more couple oriented but still on Virgin Gorda, in the North Sound...Beautiful.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 06:11 AM

Okay- I just realized I have replied to a 1997 question.
Sounds like maybe a resort has used clever tactics for publicity?
At any rate, any one of the places mentioned since the original 1997 post sounds wonderful to me. I will be stuck in the bleak midwest this "Spring" as my schedule meshes with the schedule of no one else in my family...
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:44 AM

Though some comments are quite positive about the scuba diving is the snorkeling anywhere close to Peter Island equal to around Caneel Bay Restorts' beaches. We found very little good snorkeling at British Virgin Gorda due to coral bleaching. I understand Copper Island is pretting good but the rate is $800 with tax to charter a boat from PI to take us to Copper or Norman Island just for 2 hours of snorkeling. We are avid snorkelers and had to move our snorkeling to Belize and Honduras since 2006 for quality snorkeling in North America.