Feedback on Cat Island

Old Jul 27th, 2018, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback on Cat Island

My friends and I are trying to plan a trip for my 40th Birthday over New Years in the Bahamas. There are about 9 or 10 of us. I found rooms available on Cat Island at a place called Rollezz Villas Beach resort. It gets really good reviews online, but I was wondering if anyone has any feedback. Anywhere I found that was halfway decent seemed to be double the price for that prime time of year. Can you tell me anything about that island as compared to others in the Bahamas? I see it's really remote, which i don't think i mind as Im not a fan of big crowds or mega resorts. I like clean and comfortable and am willing to pay for it, but I don't necessarily need fancy. Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 07:01 AM

As you've already surmised, cat Island is very remote. Go there if you truly want to "get away from it all". The island is flat, arid and sparsely populated. There's no night life to speak of, very few restaurants (those that are there are very far apart), a couple of general stores and only a couple of small villagers. Aside from visiting the ruins of Father Jerome's hand built Monastery atop Mt. Alverna (highest point on the island at 206' above Sea Level) there's not much else to do or see on the island other than sitting on a beach.

We found the island a bit "messy" (unkempt houses and properties, rusting car hulks and litter along the roads) and the locals not as friends as on the islands in the chain. Almost from the outset we didn't feel the normal excite one usually gets when visiting a new area. After a couple of days my suppose and I turned toward each other and almost simultaneously blurted out how much we each disliked the island. We couldn't wait to leave. We much preferred Long island, Eleuthera, Harbour Island, the Abacos and some of the Exumas which we would visit again. As for Cat island, we've been there, done that and have no desire to go back.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for this info!
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 08:50 AM

We've been to Cat island once. We enjoyed our visit. We stayed at a small villa near Shanna's cove on the north end and had all our meals at their restaurant. The food throughout our stay was good. The beach at Shanna's cove and the North end in general was magnificent. We also visited Fernandez bay resort for a meal/drinks which we enjoyed. We had a particularly bad experience at Pigeon Cay resort. the owner was extremely rude and told us we had to leave the beach despite our offer to eat/drink at his restaurant. Never experienced anything along those lines in the out islands before and we've been to many of the islands. So recommend you steer clear of that resort/beach. In short, if you go in expecting a quiet sleepy island, limited dining options and great beaches I don't think you will be disappointed.