Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Biras Creek, Little Dix, or Peter Island; which do you prefer?

Apr 14th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Eric

My wife and I are planning an anniversary trip next year to the BVI (as mentioned on a previous post) and have narrowed our choices to these three (we think). What are your opinions on each and which would you chose for the following:

Privacy (would like to be able to be completely away from others at times, if possible), casual, rooms from which we can literally step out onto the beach and quality of the food and beaches?

We realize that the ocean front rooms at Biras are on a poor swimming beach, but otherwise reviews seem very positive.

Is Peter Island overrun with AMWAY people?

Is Little Dix' reputation overblown? Is the crowd too stuffy?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!!

Apr 15th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Patty

What do you mean is Peter Island overrun with Amway people? Yes, they are owned by Amway and the bath products are Amway but I didn't see any Amway people there.

Apr 15th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Julie

Amway doesn't own Peter Island anymore.

Apr 15th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Lisa

I have been to all three resorts and would recommend Peter Island hands down. The beaches are fabulous, the food and accomodations are probably the best in the Caribbean.

Apr 15th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Joanne

Which resort do you suggest on Peter Island?
thanks

Apr 15th, 2002, 04:23 PM
frank

Peter Island Resort is Peter Island. Not an Amway property anymore and with the redo in the beachfront rooms, they are wonderful. Smaller beach at Biras and a bike ride from the rooms for swimming, smaller more intimate resort.

Apr 15th, 2002, 05:37 PM
lisa

If you are true beach lovers, I would not recommend Biras Creek. Although we loved our stay there, the food and accomodations were excellent, the beach was manmade and less than desirable.

Apr 16th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Keith

Been to all three. The service and food were best at Biras. Peter Island was close in quality and Little Dix was not. The beach at PI was the best. Little Dix and Biras were a distant 2nd. One benifit of Biras is that all guests get to use their Boston Whalers to sail around the sound. That way you can find nicer and more secluded beaches.

I would not go back to Little Dix. PI and Biras are both wonderful and you can't go wrong with either.

Apr 16th, 2002, 09:56 AM
swayze

When did you go to Little Dix - recent upgrades I understand.

Apr 17th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Keith

I was at Little Dix in July of 2000. The rooms weren't my complaint. Although the A/C didn't work and sometimes in July you need it. The food and service was just mediocre. I can't say it was bad but for the price it was a little disapointing.

Apr 19th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Eric

Sounds like Peter Island is the place! Are there any reasons NOT to go? What did you like LEAST?

Apr 19th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Patty

What I liked least about Peter Island: the attitude of the watersports staff - they just seemed like they really didn't want to be bothered. Minor criticism though and it was the only thing I could think of since you asked.

Deadman's beach is gorgeous and there are two resident sea turtles in the bay. You will love it!

May 21st, 2002, 12:02 PM
Allison

Hi Eric,

My husband and I are late 20s/early 30s and spent a week at Biras in March. (We were deciding between Biras and Peter Island also) While on Virgin Gorda we went to Little Dix for lunch to check it out.

I can't recommend Biras highly enough. The "negatives" that others refer to were the precise reasons we loved Biras so much. Riding bikes along a deserted scenic path 4 minutes to the beach was a blast. While the beach does not have the softest sand, and it is not that long (IE you wouldn't be able to stroll along it--it's too small), it is SPECTACULAR. It is incredibly secluded, wedged between two steep hillsides at the end of Deep Bay. The photos on Biras website or ScubaMom.com are not exaggerated or misleading. There is tons of incredible wildlife in and around Deep Bay also.

The beach that the accomodations face is not swimmable, true. But it offers you yet another spectacular view....totally totally different than Deep Bay but just as stunning. So let's see...that's 2 distinct beautiful views you take in every day, now let's discuss the 3rd: the view from the restaurant over North Sound where you have all meals, bar etc. Also magnificent and totally different.

Little Dix has a much longer, softer beach, but not long enough to walk for more than 20 minutes. Also much more crowded with people than Biras. LDB seemed very nice, yes, but PALED in comparison to Biras for romantic charm, natural beauty, seclusion, tastefulness, coziness, privacy, etc. (While lunching there we felt very smug that we had chosen Biras instead.)

Please email me if you have more questions; I have been meaning to post a trip overview and will get to it soon.

One warning I'd offer Re Biras is if you're really looking forward to white-glove "Right away, Sir" service, Biras isn't the place. This was FINE with us--the housekeeping service WAS that first-rate, and that's all we really cared about. For meals, the food and drinks and wine (and view and atmosphere etc) were fabulous, so we really didn't care if the waitress forgot an iced tea here and there!

As for Peter Island, I'm sure it's great. We opted for Biras because it's smaller, we liked the sounds of the accomodations better, we LIKED the idea of cruising around on bikes on a spead-out, lushly planted property, and we really liked that you get your own Boston Whaler to cruise around by yourselves to remote beaches, snorkeling spots, or bars in North Sound. Peter Island restaurant seemed too closed in, and we preferred remote setting with views of nothing but steep hills, boats, deserted islands and the open Atlantic. At night, you look at electric lights of busy Tortola from Peter Island.

sorry this is rambling and scattered!
Have fun.

May 21st, 2002, 02:21 PM
Joel

I'm in synch with Alison! First of all, Little Dix is really past its prime. Sort of cliche. At their price, you should be disappointed in nothing, but they fall short time and again.
As to Biras, it was superb, and I say that as a loooong-time Caribbean vacationer. It's like something out of a Gauguin painting of the South Pacific. Rather than just sitting on a coastline, it straddles an isthmus with 3 separate bays.
The fact that the rooms are on an empty beach not used for swimming was, for us, a great plus. Bercher's Bay was beautiful and empty. You could gaze out on open sea and no people from your terrace. That's a plus!
The swim beach, Deep Bay, is utterly beautiful. A flat, sand beach at the bottom of a (duh) deep bay like a finger with high mountains on both sides. VERY private and VERY romantic. Lots of space to cozy down and be undisturbed except when you run up your little flag on your flag pole for another planter's punch. Very calm waters.
Best of all, the place is inaccessible except by boat. You will have tremendous privacy because the place is so spread out. And that's its big advantage, imo, over Peter Island. Peter is very nice and my second choice, but too much hustle-bustle. (And, yes, it is no longer AMWAY.)
Last, but not least, Biras is on Gorda Sound and this is one of the most beautiful bays in the Caribbean. Don't miss it.

May 22nd, 2002, 10:56 AM
Scott

Another vote of agreement with Allison and Eric. I have not been to PIR or Little Dix, but Biras is amazing! My wife and I returned from a week at Biras earlier this month. We've been to a number of Caribbean islands/resorts and Biras was far and away better than anything we've ever experienced.

Everything posted by Eric and Allison was accurate. I'd add that the dinners are 5-star affairs. Great meals with the interesting choices. I'd also highly recommend using the complimentary Boston Whalers to explore the North Sound. This was a fantastic experience as well and offers you a number of deserted beaches.

I can't say anything bad about Little Dix or PIR. We were actually considering PIR for our trip. I can say, however, that we were thrilled we chose Biras and cannot wait to return. Hope this helps!!

May 23rd, 2002, 06:24 AM
Delegator

Although Peter Island isn't owned by Amway anymore, you should know that it is owned by an owner of Amway (or his daughter and son-in-law - I couldn't exactly find out who owns the company listed on the Peter Island website as owning the restor - though I did figure out that the initials of the company are the same as the initials as an owner of Amway.

My fiance and I are also choosing between Peter Island and Biras. We're so confused. Please post what your ultimate decision is here and why.

THanks.

May 23rd, 2002, 07:20 AM
Lv2Trvl

Don't know why the problem with Amway. Been many times and never had a conflict or problem with it other than Amway products as amenities. The son of one of the Amway partners and operates Peter Island. The intials are the fathers and am sure that there is some financial backing from him but there have been signifigant upgrades to the property recently including the beachfront rooms being redone. You might also want to look at Forbes.com for their review of Biras Creek. It's in the lifestyles section.

May 23rd, 2002, 07:39 AM
Free Advice

From a thread on this forum:

Author: Joel ([email protected])
Date: 12/19/2001, 09:54 pm
Message: I have not been to Peter Island, although I'm a frequent BVI visitor. I strongly recommend that as far as Peter Island goes you visit TravelTalkOnline.com to read the string on Peter Island on their BVI board. There is some uniformly appalling feedback there from a number of posters that apparently have had severe problems with the management and a certain amount of abuse and negligence that I will not describe here. It exceeds anything I've read before vis a vis hygience, favoritism, and blatant disregard for guests.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: john c. ([email protected])
Date: 12/20/2001, 09:25 am
Message: The thread is called Peter Island Disaster and the last comment was posted on December 13 at 3:00 PM. Threads are only kept for about 1 month, so anyone planning to stay at Peter Island should read it before it's erased. It's an awful review - toddlers in the pool, children in the bar after 9:00 PM, large Amway conventions, preferential treatment of Amway guests and friends of the family, etc. A real eye-opener. Of course scuba mom posted a positive review (she is Peter Island's web designer).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Dawn ([email protected])
Date: 12/20/2001, 06:42 pm

Thanks for the site. I was not aware of it and to be honest, I immediately checked it out. It's actually very informative which I like.

If I read about the horrible reviews I probably wouldn't even consider going to Peter Island. I guess it's the luck of the draw, but yes, I am too concerned when I see that it is just more than one person pissed off.

I was a little concerned when I saw the 2 toddlers as well last week when I was there - I picked this place based on the fact that they frowned against them. I do would write a horrible review if I had some of the horrid stories those guys wrote about. It's a shame. I had a great time. Would I go back? Probably if I had extra vacation time like I did this time. But now I'm not so sure.

BUT.. would I go at peak season or over the holiday? No on your life. The resort is not that extraordinary that I would pay those prices in peak season. And I personally never travel during that time - I go when kids are still in school.

May 23rd, 2002, 02:42 PM
Anne

Peter Island is a tropical paradise, it's true. But it is also too crowded. I'm refering to the main resort area, not the lovely beaches.
I have to agree with others on this thread that Biras is THE place to go IF you want the away-from-it-all experience, great dining, an exotic tropical locale, and super individual privacy.
As good, and even more private is Guana Island, which few mention here, but which is part of the BVI and is located less than a mile off the NE Tortola coast. It's a private island, very undeveloped with many trails to secluded beaches. Not many guests, very good service.
Like Biras, Guana picks you up at the airport and boats you to the resort.

Jun 5th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Heather

I am also trying to decide between Biras and PI. I am looking for a romantic getaway but also want to do a lot of water activities, i.e. boating, sailing, snorkeling trips, etc. I am also looking at Bitter End and Caneel. Any thoughts??