honeymoon - can't decide on location!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi - i'm starting to research honeymoon locations for my fiance and I and I'm really having a hard time deciding on a location. I know we want a beach and we won't be doing many, if any, excursions. We just want to relax on a beach with some drinks. I started looking in st lucia at AI, but it's a little pricey for us. Now I'm looking between Aruba at bucuti or possibly somewhere in mexico. I think I would prefer an AI, but do not like the high rises in Aruba. If the price of drinks and food at the restaurants and bars in Aruba isn't high then I can do a non AI. My fiance and I need a place with bars that stay open as we like to go out and are pretty big drinkers. We went to kauai last year and although it was gorgeous everything was closed by 10 and we found ourselves bored. Mexico is very enticing because we can get so much for the same price as other places in the Caribbean that don't seem as appealing. My hesitation is that I went to Cancun a few years ago and it was like an everlasting spring break. however I think if we pick a very nice resort I'll have a completely different experience. I think overall I like Aruba, I'm just hesitant about the non AI. Ideally I would love a room with access to the beach which is why the high risers won't work for me. Any comments or suggestions would be a huge help. I'm very open to other islands also. thanks!
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 11:35 AM

I've never been, but I know that folks who like a drink or two have a good time in Negril, Jamaica.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 01:18 PM
KVR

You will definatley get more for your money in Mexico. Though I loved Aruba, we found the food and drink prices pretty expensive compared to Mexico, which is one reason why we haven't gotten to return. We stayed at the Holiday Inn on their AI plan and did go out for a few dinners. It's hard to recommend an AI in Aruba because there are just so many restuarants and bars to chose from. But if you want to the few Ai hotel choices on Eagle Beach would be good.

Look at the Playa del Carmen/Riveria Maya of Mexico. Lots of AI hotels to choose from in all prices ranges and sizes. The Secrects, Iberostar and Excellance resorts get high recommendations. That area is not like Cancun. It's more laid back. If you go farther from Playa del Carmen to Tulum or Akumal it's even more laid back. Too much for me though. I prefer to be close to 5th Avenue in Playa for nightlife and shopping. We've been going to Mexico once a year for the past ten years. There are so many things to see and do in Mexico. We still haven't done everything and we are quite active on vacation.

If interested I have all of our trips posted at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

kvr - a girl i work with went to isle mujeres last year and she raves about it. she said it's great because there are a lot of bars and restaurants and you can get around by golf cart which seems like a lot of fun. also, it's cheap enough where i can do an AI and also afford to eat/drink around the town. have you ever been here?
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

o also, 2 of my close friends had went to the excellence in riviera maya and they both thouht it was wonderful. my worry is that i'll want to do some things outside of the resort and i'm not sure what's around riviera except for cancun. thanks for any suggestions! very appreciated
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

kvr i just glanced at your photos, you've been everywhere! that's great. i looked at the sandals grande in st lucia and it just seems so expensive. we could pay that, but i think it'd be smarter to not spend all that much so that way the year after our marriage we can afford to go somewhere else again. how did you like the sandals st lucia
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 03:34 AM

couplesresorts.com

Swept Away Negril AI or for

cancun.bookit.com AI

Secrets Maroma or Capri good deals there.

Best in winter from Jun-Nov

head for St Lucia or ABC Islands for less rain stroms.

luxurylink.com good deals there.

Congrats!