Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Budget! -- Honeymoon in Mexico or Caribbean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Fiance and I are on a budget. We really do not want to spend more than $2000 for an all inclusive resort including airfare. We'd like to get something couples-only, but I think these places are out of our budget - unless I am wrong?

Most people recommended either the Rivera Maya in Mexico or Punta Cana in DR. We will be going on our honeymoon for the first full week in October. Any suggestions on which choice might be best?

Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Your friends are right. If you have only $2000 to spend, you're going to be limited in where you can go, but there are some fine resorts in Punta Cana (I doubt that you can afford Secrets Excellence, but you might be able to get Iberostar, depending on where you're traveling from). The dollar goes farther in Mexico, and you may be able to get an all-inclusive there for $1000 per person. In either place, though, you are not going to get a top-of-the-line place, even in October. Prices are going up in the D.R., and you'll probably get a better value in Rivera Maya or Cancun, so I'd steer you there. The cheaper resorts in the D.R. are certainly adequate, but they're not as nice as those in Mexico, in my opinion. I can't think of any couples-only option that will be in your price range, but keep an eye out for specials. October is usually a busy month for hurricanes and tropical storms, so wherever you decide to go, buy travel insurance.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:27 AM
KVR

I would second Mexico. We've been 4 times and loved it. The closet, cheapest vacation that we have ever loved. Try looking at Cozumel also. We spent our honeymoon there. The beaches and water are excellant. We then spent our 1st anniversary in Playa del Carmen. Also been to Cancun. We like the Playa del Carmen area due to it being close to 5th Street. Lots of shopping, resturants, bars. Also close to some great attractions; Xcaret, X-Ha, Tulum, Chichen Itza, Maroma Beach.

For the Playa del Carmen area look at the Blue Parrot or Gran Porto Real. Those should be within your budget. They are both within walking distance to 5th Avenue. Be real careful as some hotels are quite far from the town of Playa and will cost you in taxi fares to and from. We stayed at the El Dorado Resort and Spa and it was 30 minutes to Playa. We did not care for the hotel either.

I would be weary of October due to hurricane season. If you can push it to the first week of November, we been to several Mexico/Caribbean destinations at that time and the weather was perfect.
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:57 PM

I 3rd Mexico. Before you book, read through the reviews of your chosen hotel on tripadvisor.com.
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Another vote for Mexico - Playa del Carmen is great - staying in a nice hotel (non-AI) and eating out is another option - PDC has some great restaurants that don't cost a lot. We have been to PDC four times and always stay in a non all-inclusive. I sent a co-worker there last year in October for their honeymoon and they loved it. They stayed in town at La Tortuga for $75.00/night in a swim up room - the hotel is not on the beach but has a beach club. There are also several options on the beach that are very reasonably priced - Playa Maya gets good reviews. Check out www.playadelcarmeninfo.com. It is a great website and also has a very active forum.
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:12 PM

You may consider going for 5 nights, instead of 7? That would loosen your budget a little. Just an idea.
Happy planning!
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:21 PM

I just did a quick search on expedia for airfare:
LGA-Cancun $509/person
LGA-Nassau $273/person (nonstop!) USAIR

Looks like you would have a lot more options in the Bahamas. Happy planning!