Bermuda help

Apr 26th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Bermuda help

Can anyone tell me if it matters where you stay on bermuda as far as location? Is any specific area the most desirable? I looked into 9beaches.com and i am wondering if anyone has any commetary on it or can advise of a great place to stay.
Apr 26th, 2005, 10:37 AM

I think it depends on how you plan to explore Bermuda. 9beaches is a little remote if you plan on using public transportation. If you opt for the scooters, it's no big deal. They were just building those units when we visited Bermuda.
Apr 26th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Depends on what you want to do... I was there in January 2005 and stayed at Fairmont Hamilton because I was there for the marathon (I don't recommend running the Bermuda Marathon!!). Basically a city hotel near bars, food, shopping and nightlight (sort of) but no beach access and you have to drive or ferry to the good beaches. We went to the beach at Fairmont Southhampton and it's awesome - but pricey! I hear Elbow beach is the place to be... I have a good friend who has stayed at ARIEL SANDS many times and raves over it... part owned by Michael Douglas and since he lives in Hamilton, not unusual to see him there. We are considering Ariel for our next trip! www.arielsands.com
Apr 26th, 2005, 05:10 PM
sp

Have stayed at a bunch of resorts in Bermuda and they were all good in their own way. Grotto Bay - we stayed in the Fall and were glad we did as the water was very rough on the south shore - even the public beaches were closed. Since Grotto is on a bay on the north shore, the water was calm. In spring/early summer our favourite spots have been Pompano and 9beaches (which was previously called Daniels Head). 9beaches is for the obvious - it's a completely different vacation - great change from everyday resorts and the cottages were very comfortable - loved the covered porches and the location was fabulous for watersports - we loved kayaking there. Pompano (pompano.bm) is an extremely friendly place - not stuffy like a lot of resorts in Bermuda - the views are incredible and the water is like a huge swimming pool - it is crystal-clear and waist-deep for a few hundred yards out - it's located on a calm bay. Very romantic setting!
May 15th, 2005, 11:22 AM

I just returned from 9beaches and highly recommend it. Although it is not for everyone because it is a casual place; the cabanas make it seem like upscale camping. The restaurant is first class, excellent meals. Since they just opened they have a few gliches (inconsistent housekeeping for one)but any problem reported was instantly taken care of. The farm next door is a problem for the lower cabanas along Long Bay near the entrance. It is a short walk to a grocery store and the bus stop. The best thing about 9beaches is the staff. They are just terrific, very friendly and willing to do anything to make your stay a good one.
The water sport equipment is top notch and nice mountain bikes are free.