5 days in Bermuda

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in Bermuda

We're staying at Cambridge Beaches for 5 days in two weeks. The first and last day will be traveling but wanted to know if there is anything to see or do other than relaxing at the resort for the other 3 days. How's the shopping?

Thanks
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:40 PM

There are lots of things to do. There are walking tours, there's a royal naval dockyard, a zoo and aquarium, an underground cave with water and fossils, horse and carriage rides and the shopping is good. Although Trimingham's - my favorite - is going out of business. Oh, and don't forget to see the stocks and watch them dunk the wench.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:18 PM
sp

Take the ferry into Hamilton one day for shopping & lunch and another day to St. George's. You can also rent a scooter and head back down South Shore Road to the public beaches, especially Horseshoe Bay. You can rent loungers and umbrellas and get a bite to eat there, or better yet, go right across the street to Tio Pepe's. Also close by on South Shore road is Church Bay, which is an excellent spot for snorkelling. You will probably have the option of dining out - give Pompano Beach Resort a try one night for a change. Excellent food in a very romantic setting.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 07:10 AM

It really depends on what you find interesting. I loved the perfume factory where they make some of the most distinctive floral perfumes in the world. I'm not that into scents but I found it interesting and fun. There's also a couple of fun/silly tourist things like the Devil's Hole which is a large sinkhole that used to be connected to the sea and long ago it was cut off, trapping sea turtles and lots of different fish (you can feed the sea turtles). There's also a small series of underground caves discovered by 2 local boys chasing after a ball. (Can't remember the name). You used to be able to swim in the underground grottos at Grotto Bay resort, but I'm not sure of the status right now. Also, the naval yard at one end of the island is a great trip. Shops, restaurants, historic fort and a dolphin training/swim-with experience. The length of your stay, I have found is just right for Bermuda which is not very big but very beautiful. I dare say you may spend a lot of time swimming right now because the weather is very hot!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Do take a ferry ride, the greatest public transportation system in the world.
As to shopping, the Irish Linen Shop on Front Street, Hamilton, and Celine are my favorites. They have some items you won't recognize from home. If Trims is still having their going out of business sale (such a depressing thought) hit it, you may find some excellent bargains. The Pringle shop in Archie Brown's has some nice cashmere. Bluck's has excellent crystal, china, etc. Bermuda shopping isn't a huge bargain as it was twenty five years ago. Enjoy Cambridge Beaches, the spa is great and the grounds are gorgeous.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 01:21 AM

One day will have to be spent at Horseshoe Bay! Buy a 3-day bus/ferry pass and see the sights of the Island. Shopping is great (can't believe Trim's is going out of business - boohoo!). Stop at the Swizzle Inn and have a small pitcher. Across from there is the Crystal Caves (limestone caves - lots of stairs!). I believe the perfumery across the way has or is going out of business as well? If you can, take the Don't Stop the Carnival for one night out of Hamilton. All you can drink/eat cruise with entertainment - kinda hokey but fun! The ferry ride from Hamilton to the Dockyard is a great way to see some of the Island and its beautiful homes. The glass bottom boat ride isn't bad either or take an evening champagne sail.