Search

Great Exuma

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Exuma

My family and I are traveling to Great Exuma over Labor Day weekend. We are staying at February Point and traveling with a variety of ages (from 60 down to 1 year old). We all love to snorkel (guys scuba dive), fish, beach/pool with kids. We are curious about resturants in the area and any activity suggestions. This is the first time I have traveled out of the country with my kids (3 year old and 1 year old), so I am a little worried about finding what I need for them (ie groceries) while I am there. Also are local resturants going to be kid friendly? We were planning on utilizing some of the Four Season's resources, but have just learned that they have closed. Any suggestions are Greatly Appreciated!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM

Hey,

Yes it is a shame that the Four Seasons has closed. I visited Great Exuma last August and stayed at February Point. My girlfriend and I had an amazing trip. We loved the resort and almost went back this August, but decided to do Costa Rica instead. Matt, the manager of the Resort was a huge help in getting acclimated to the Island. There is at least one grocery store in Georgetown which is maybe 2 miles from the resort. It can be walked. We did not travel with children so I didn't pay much attention to kid friendly places but I am sure that should not be a problem. One place we ate the Bonefish Lodge is Definitely kid friendly and they feed the sharks at night which is really cool! This was maybe a 20 minute ride from the resort.

http://www.peaceandplenty.com/en/resorts-bonefish.html

You will want to spend some time at Chat & Chill which is a bar/restaurant on Stocking Island. Maybe a 5 minute boat ride. Mainly just bar food, but it is right on the beach and very child friendly! The beach is beautiful, volleyball court too! Stingrays swimming right over your legs while you sit in the water with a rum punch in your hand! They also have a pig roast every Sunday. One of my favorite parts of Chat & Chill was the fresh Conch Salad stand set up on the beach! He makes the salad right there. If you are into that kind of thing it is amazing!

Some of the best times we had were with Capt. Graeme Cartwright. We chartered him and one of his boats a few times and fished, snorkeled, spear fished, drank amazing rum punch went to the amazing Sand Bar. We never made it to the swimming pigs or the Thunderball Grotto which are both highly recommended, just slightly longer boat rides. He is a wealth of information and I am sure would answer any of the more specific questions you might have regarding the Island.

http://www.gseaadventures.net/

Also Tropic of Cancer beach is beautiful as well. Bit of a drive from resort though. I have many photos from the trip if there is anything in particular you would like to see. The restaurant at the Four Seasons was nice and is really a shame. Hopefully it will be back soon! We ate at the restaurant at F. Point as well and it was very good.

If I think of anything else we did I will fill in the blanks. I am sure Graeme will be more than happy to answer some questions!

Best,
Adam Pass
www.adampass.com

There are a few photos from Exuma on my website in the travel section! #'s 1, 2, 19-23, & 26
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 07:16 AM

We just returned from a week on Stocking Island. The grocery in Georgetown is the largest I've come across in the out islands. Lots of produce, meats, cheeses, spices, breads (some baked locally) and some pharmaceutical items as well. It's not a super mart but it had a lot from which to choose.

Four Seasons would have been a long drive -- about 45 minutes -- so it really wasn't an option for a meals every day. We ate on our own and at Chat-n-Chill, which is a great spot to take the kids as mentioned above. There is a ferry that can take you over to the island. It's only accessible by boat as there are no roads of any kind on Stocking Island.

Also, the restaurant at St. Francis on Stocking Island is good and has a great view from the deck to the harbor. We had sandwich food and snacks for us to take with us to a deserted beach by boat so we didn't make it into Georgetown to check out the restaurants.

If you go to Tropic of Cancer beach, and you should as it is stunningly beautiful, there is Santana's in that vicinity. I advise to call ahead to see if she's open. She was open for dinner only & not every night during our visit.

Here are my notes for restaurants:

Castaways, near the airport. Good Bahamian food.

Friday Night Fish Fry -- near Coco Palms. It is a happening place!!

Peace & Plenty Bonefish Lodge. It's at the bridge at Little Exuma. This is on the way down to Tropic of Cancer Beach. You could stop here but call ahead to make reservations or make sure they are serving when you go. Ask them when they are feeding the sharks. The kids would enjoy watching.

Hamburger Beach on Stocking Island. It wasn't open while we were there. It belongs to Club Peace & Plenty. Looks cute. I'm sure P&P has a ferry but check. If not you'll need a boat.

Chat-N-Chill Sunday Pig Roast. There are lots of chairs, picnic tables, some hammocks and a volley ball court. Several big umbrellas for shade and areas under the trees. Also, there is a conch salad shack on the beach, too, made fresh just for you. I heard people raving about the bbq ribs. Also, you must try Kendall's goombay smash. Delicious and almost as good as Miss Emily's on Green Turtle Cay.

Cheaters, just outside of Georgetown, I heard good things about it.

If you can rent a boat I highly recommend it as you will have so many beautiful beaches at your disposal. Many you will not see another soul. The beach on the west side of stocking is gorgeous and has a couple of spots where you can hike over from the harbor side.

Sorry so lengthy. Hope this helps a little.
BeachGirl
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Beachgirl? Could you e-mail me?

bquarreatyahoodotcom
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 12:10 PM

iamq, you've got mail.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 07:30 PM

To be perfectly honest the snorkeling is poor in and around GX and the diving is fair based upon 2 visits over the past 8 yrs. Sorry.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:18 PM

To be perfectly honest maybe we have a difference of opinion with what makes a good afternoon of snorkeling. I'm "sorry" but I thoroughly enjoyed my time snorkeling in and around Exuma. I may not be the snorkeling aficionado that you are but if I'm floating around in beautiful waters and see some colorful reef fish, rays, turtles, barracudas and sharks to name a few(I have plenty of underwater photos and video), I feel like I had a good day. I would be hard pressed to say the snorkeling in my muddy bottomed lake with 2 feet of visibility is "poor"; I actually enjoy it and it's good exercise too!

I find your negative response interesting considering the original post asked no questions regarding the quality of the snorkeling. Is your response implying that they shouldn't even try and snorkel while they are there?

Keep the Shiny side up!

Cheers,
Adam Pass
www.adampass.com
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM

to defend StanKase (not that they asked or even wanted defending) the original post does say "We all love to snorkel (guys love to scuba). So StanKase was giving the opinion on it in Exumas. StanKase has been on these forums since 2004, and I personally consider the opinion on snorkel/scuba to be spot on. StanKase has traveled extensively numerous times to countless islands. To be perfectly honest, had you been on the forum longer than May, you would probably have known that, but only 1 month on the forum is understandable that you wouldn't.

I love the Exumas. One of my favorite destinations. But I'm with StanKase on this one, not much of a snorkeling place. (Compared to the numerous islands I have vistied.)

Other than that, Adam, I find your initial response to be terrific, and your pictures were amazing! I love the sand bar picture, and it makes me want to return to Exumas now.

Stocking Island is do not miss. Pig Roast at Chat N'Chill on Sundays do not miss. If you end up with a car, you can still head up towards Four Seasons (even if closed) a little past that is Coco Plum Beach, which is stunning, and a great place for searching sand dollars. They have an excellent (casual) restaurant there too.

I think Febuary Point is gorgeous. Rent a boat, again, do not miss Moriah Cay, with the prettiest beach of them all. You can cay hop quite easily with a boat, and check out all the stunning beaches they have, like little Gilligan's islands.

I took my then 2 1/2 yr old to Exumas, who loved it. I found all of the restaurants to be accomidating, even pay special attention to little ones. The island overall has a casual feel to it.