Great Exuma

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Exuma

We are going to Great Exuma - Grande Isle Villas and I was wondering if anyone could tell me any scoop on the area: what to do, how to get around, (do we absolutely need a car) and...the grocery store? (I hear it is very limited) Will we be able to get good food at the grocery store or should we take most? Also, is there a bakery for fresh bread? What about restaurants? I'd love to hear any info you may have!!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Yes you definitely need a rental car to get around. As I recall Grand Isle is out near Four Seasons about a 20 to 30 minute drive from Georgetown. Met some people from Four Seasons who were complaining that the cab fare from FS to Georgetown was $75 round trip. There are two grocery stores in Georgetown one on the right going in and one on the left across Lake Victoria. They are fairly well stocked depending on when the boat comes in but you can also bring food with you to Exuma. Ma's Bakery sets up her van by the Exxon station and sells baked goods in the morning. When you come out of the market walk to the right and she's on the left. Re restaurants-- not much out that way. In my opinion the best restaurant on the island is the Peace and Plenty Bonefish Lodge right at the bridge to Little Exuma. Two Turtles has a bbque and dance on Fri night and there is a dance at Club Peace and Plenty on Sat night. For fish and local food Cheaters just out of Geoegetown on the left going toward Little Exuma is good. Try the cracked conch if they have it. There are a couple of restaurants at Four Seasons. The main one is Italian. Not inexpensive. The restaurant at Palm Bay beach club is good. Believe on Sunday they have a buffet and live music. The restaurant at Crow's Nest opens and closes at will but have had some good meals there. For local flair on Fri there is a fish fry just before you get in to GTown on the right. You will see a lot of colorful shacks. On Sunday there is a Pig Roast on Volleyball beach. Boat transportation leaves from downtown Georgetown. Not sure Normans in Barraterra is open but check. Nice place for lunch Great views. Call ahead and let Norman know you are coming. Good conch, lobster and lobster salad. Do try and go to Stocking Island for a day. Club P&P runs a boat at about 10AM and returns about 4 PM. While there have one of Dora Lees conch burgers. Food generally is good but Exuma is not a gourmets delight. Call each place before you go to make sure they are open that night. Believe Bonefish Lodge is only open Thurs Sat and Sun. Started going to Exuma in 1970 and have been over 20 times. Like going back about 20 Years in time to the way the Out islands were before the developers arrived. Enjoy
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you HowardC! That is all very good scoop! I appreciate your taking time to reply!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:29 PM

Coco Plum Beach is about 10 minutes from Grande isle. It's gorgeous with a great restaurant on the beach, and great for searching sand dollars, etc.

A stunning strand is Tropic of Cancer Beach, the water there glows. It's a little far, in Little Exumas, about 90 minutes from Grande isle.

Stocking Island should not be missed. On Sundays there are pig roasts there at the Chat N Chill. Water taxis leave there from the government building in town all day for it. Other days, there is a water taxi from Club Peace and Plenty to their excellent hamburger shack on a stunning beach. On the other side of the island, very scenic and an airplane buried in the sand!

Sorry, I ate out the whole time, my favorite being at The Club Peace and Plenty, and enjoyed the restaurant at Palm Bay Beach Club too.

My favorite thing to do, call Starfish excursions, Phillip took us to all these little cays to explore-and Moriah Cay was spectacular. (Expedia or Travelocity have a picture of it on their website to attract you to the Caribbean.)

An excursion I wish I did, but was full, was with Captain Lewless to Long Island. He eats breakfast at Club Peace and Plenty Beach Inn-track him down.

My husband went bone fishing with JJ-who was filming bone fishing for an ESPN2 show. We found JJ through Club Peace and Plenty Beach Inn also.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Not to add a sour note because the local;s were lovely people and the waters are beautiful but to my surpripe the snorkeling is poor if you are an experienced snorkeler. The next group of islands over, Andros, has very good snorkeling so I expected decent snorkeling aroung Great Exuma but that is the only negative of my 2 visits to the island.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 08:08 AM

bookmarking
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Agree with Blamona re Coco Plum beach. Silver Dollar beach is also lovely. When in town stop by Club Peace and Plenty and have a drink at the pool bar with Lermon "Doc" Rolle the doctor of libations. Great guy. Has been written up in Caribbean Travel and Life. JJ who Blamona mentioned is his brother and drives a cab. Little history. Rokers Point is where Al Rokers parents lived hence Rokers Point,
Ester Rolle of Good Times is from either Rolleville or Rolletown. LOrd Rolle who helped settle Exuma had a lot of property and when the slaves were freed they took the name of Rolle. That name on Exuma is as common as Smith is the US. If you can find it at the library before you go look for Wind From the Carolinas by Robert Wilder. Great read about Exuma. Fiction and non mixed. If you can't find it they may have a paperback at the Sandpiper a gift shop across from P&P. Agree the snorkeling off shore isn't that great. Best place I found in out from the restaurant at the old Out Island Inn but it has been closed for a while. Was supposed to reopen but don't know the status. Best to take a guided snorkel trip.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 01:06 PM

topping.

( I'm finally going! )