Gallows Point: which unit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm aware that building 3 has a slightly better position. Would appreciate hearing from people who have stayed in especially pleasant units (3 or otherwise), particularly lower units. Not interested in harborside.
Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM

We stayed in 9A, which is an ocean view lower. The reason we picked it was because it was located just steps away from the pool, which made it great for running inside to go to the bathroom or refresh your drink. The views were still awesome. If you go to the "Suite St John" website, there is a picture with many of the units have numbers, and you can click on them to see the inside & the view from the unit.

Keep in mind that if you rent through Suite St John, they can guarantee your unit, and renting directly through Gallows, they will not guarantee your choice. Prices were the same, so we went with the guaranteed unit.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ocean view units. The biggest difference in the units is that some are more updated than others.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 08:40 AM
cdw

We like unit 7....right in front of the stairs leading down to the beach area. It has a great view and a little more privacy since it is not directly in front of the pool. However, we were a little dismayed with the lack of service and attitude during our last stay at Gallows. I probably will not return but will rent a villa instead.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM

We stayed in building 8 and thought it was the best. So I guess 7,8 & 9 are all good choices. We prefer the ground floor units with the separate bedroom and two giant doors to open and look out!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the responses.
In fact, we've been to Gallows a couple of times, but have always stayed in a top unit (building 3, which we prefer for the extra privacy). With finances being what they are now, we know we'll need to book a lower unit if we return, so I was hoping that folks might know which of those lower units is especially handsome and comfortable (subjective, I know). I don't think we'll greatly miss the extra room of the upper unit, or the more extended views (which really are great), but I know we will miss the greater privacy. We were able to walk around (and even be on the lanai) in pretty much the altogether. I'll be more uncomfortable knowing that people can walk by those lower units and see into them. I know that doesn't happen very much, but I've just never been real comfortable in ground floor accommodations.
cdw: Sorry you weren't fully pleased with the service/attitude at Gallows. I have to say that I know what you mean--not the greatest. (Plus I was appalled at the mess-- not cleaned up for two days-- left by the employee Christmas party).
ScottB: that's good that Suite St John shows their units in greater detail. Actually, we rented from them the first time we went to Gallows (about 10 years ago), but they didn't give discount for repeat guests, nor did they take credit cards for payment. Things may be different now. I wish they had more units.
Pulley: Did you actually keep open those bedroom doors? We very much liked the openness of the bedrooms in the upper units, but I can imagine that some people might like the more enclosed feel.
We're so noise conscious. I think the main thing we're concerned about in the bottom units is the possibility of hearing talking and other action outside, plus footsteps, etc from upper unit. Gallows insists that no one ever hears their upstairs neighbors. Seems unlikely, but maybe it's true; sure hope so.
Thanks again for replies and happy travels to all.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 05:23 AM

I honestly can't remember hearing any noise from the upper unit the entire week, and there was definitely someone staying there the whole time. The traffic out in front of your unit should be minimal. Being right in front of the pool, we didn't feel like we were on display by any means. We would of course shut everything up at night for privacy.

Gallows is not a cheap place to stay. I loved it for the convenience of be able to walk to town. I will be on STJ in June, and this time we are renting a private villa. The villa is 5 minutes from Cruz Bay. It is completely private with a pool, jacuzzi, and view to die for. The price is only a couple hundred more than staying at Gallows, and we get so much more house & total seclusion. Without a doubt in (my mind)....it just seems like a much better deal than getting a condo for roughly the same price.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 06:09 AM

ScottB, Can you please share the name of the villa you'll be staying at? I'd love total seclusion 5 mins. from Cruz Bay. Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Poss,
When we were there in November, they were gutting and remodeling 15A, lower ocean view. The only thing is that 15 is on the point so you might be bothered by the ferry noise.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Poss,

We opend the set of two doors from living room. That gave of vies of the pool, Stevens Cay & St. Thomas not to mention a great breeze.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 08:28 AM

turtlegirl,

We are staying at villa Belvedere. The villa company we are going through is Destination St John, and they have been great to work with. Do a google search on "Villa Belvedere St John" and you will find plenty of info on it. It's offered by a couple different rental agencies, but we were told Destination St John was very good, and so far we have been very pleased with their service.