Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Villas in St. John? Please share impressions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Sandra

My husband and I are looking forward to a week in St. John (probably November) and plan to rent a villa. I looked at the list/pictures - wide range in price, amenities, but really can't tell one from another. We want a great view, quiet, moderate price(no need for too much interior space, and mosquito-proof!). If you've rented a villa in St. John, please share your experience. Thank you

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Donna

Just returned from St John and will only rent a villa. Already have it booked for next year! Look on the website caribbeanvilla.com and check out what there is. Some are quite private and to me it's worth the extra money!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Neysa

The villa choices on St. John are overwhelming, I know, especially if you have never been there and don't know what to expect. My husband and I have rented villas in St. John 4 going on 5 times now, and have stayed at a different villa on each visit. Our choices have been made, in large part, by looking at photos on the Internet, and 'gut impressions'. I'm glad to say we've been extremely pleased with each and every one of our picks! St. John is breathtakingly beautiful and serene, and the villas are, for the most part, sprinkled all over the island hillsides, outside of the VI National Park boundries. Below are the names of the villas we have rented. All are in different areas of St. John, and all were private, and all had splendid views. I can't speak to the "mosquito-proof" part; we have never had any problems with mosquitos at a villa. We were pestered by "no see-ums" once at sunset on one of the beaches.<BR>Hope this helps. Good luck! I know you will have a great time!<BR><BR>Ilios: www.caribbeanvilla.com<BR>Little Whim: www.donaldschnell.com<BR>Over the Rainbow: www.caribbeanvilla.com<BR>Sago Cottage: www.calabashcottages.com<BR><BR>And later this year...<BR>Villa Margherita: www.stjohnvilla.com

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:16 PM
Nancy

Dear Neysa,<BR>I am taking my family in February for the first time to St. John and we are renting Ilios. I saw from the posting that you have stayed there. Did you really enjoy your stay there and do you have any advice on what to bring that would enhance my stay at Ilios. Thanks. <BR>Nancy

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:47 AM
Neysa

Nancy,<BR>I'm glad to give you comments on our stay at Ilios. We rented Ilios in May of 1997 on our first visit to St. John. It was managed by a company other than Caribbean Villas at that time, but the photos of it on CVs website are identical to the way it looked in 1997--so I don't know if the photos are old or if it is still exactly the way it was 5 years ago. <BR><BR>For us, the best feature of Ilios was its layout of three pavilions centered around the pool, deck area, and living room/kitchen pavilion. Everyone (we were a group of 3 couples) had their own separate quarters, which afforded a great deal of privacy. The master bedroom had a nice bathroom with upscale fixtures and a secluded outdoor garden shower. The view from the master bedroom was lovely. The second bedroom was as nice and large. It was set back from the Master, and was steps away from the view. It also had a nice bathroom. The third bedroom was on a second story over the living room/kitchen pavilion. It was a smallish bedroom, and although it did not have a private bath (a half-bath is located down the outdoor stairs in the common deck/gathering area), it had good views and was tastefully furnished (as was the entire house). The living room was large, with massive louvered doors opening on to the pool deck, and lovely views from the other large louvered windows. The blue and white tiled kitchen with its large shuttered windows was well stocked with utensils. I especially liked the kitchen. I do not remember there being any A/C, but we absolutely did not need it. It was always extremely breezy there on the point where Ilios sits. The pool was small, which surprised us, but we later learned that the majority of pools there are small. I would call it a "dipping" pool (definitely larger than a Jacuzzi, but smaller than a 16x32 pool) and it served our purpose of taking a fresh water dip after a day at the beach. We also enjoyed the star gazing from the deck every evening. The night sky is vast and beautiful from that deck. All in all, we thought Ilios was a tastefully built and elegantly decorated home. We admired the architecture of it, with its tile floors, cool white walls, arched doorways and windows, and cobalt blue shutters and trim. It reminded us a lot of the architecture in Greece. I hope Ilios is still that way.<BR><BR>We found several amenities at Ilios. Again, this was 5 years ago... Several large, fluffy beach towels, very nice beach chairs, and two or three coolers were all provided. The bathroom towels were all nice quality and in abundance. Paper products were there. I believe clothes washing detergent was even provided (the washer/dryer are located in an outdoor alcove). There were fresh flowers in every room, and the refrigerator was stocked with an initial supply of drinks, fruit, and cheese. I do not believe hair dryers or toiletries were provided, nor do I remember there being a large library of books or music for the CD system. We brought our own. The single most thing I would suggest to enhance your stay at Ilios is to rent a car. As with practically all of the villas on St. John, Ilios is not within walking distance of the beaches, restaurants, or shopping, but all are a 10 to 15-minute drive away.<BR><BR>Did I tell you what you wanted to hear? ;-) Personal tastes and expectations are so subjective, but I do hope you are pleased with the house--we were--and will rent it again if we have a need to accommodate 6. If you have other questions, I'll be glad to try and answer. Have a great first trip to St. John! You will love the island.<BR><BR>Neysa

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Nancy

We will be staying at villa Argonauta soon.<BR><BR>First trip to St John. We are getting<BR>married there on one of the beaches.<BR>Not sure which beach. From photos that<BR>people have sent me of "Argonauta" the<BR>view is unbelievable and it looks <BR>tastefully decorated. It sits up<BR>on a hill but only about 5 min. from<BR>Cruz Bay and 10 min. from the Northshore<BR>beaches. So, the location sounds<BR>perfect. I will post a review when we return.<BR><BR>Nancy

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Topper

Any more impressions on Villas for 2?

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:13 AM
cj

I second Caribbeanvillas.com. We booked thru them rthis year and they were very helpful. They have a large selection. Don't worry about looking for a villa "for 2" -- our first was a three bedroom but economical, still. Our second will be a 2-bedroom. I'd never go for anything but a villa in terms of comfort and privacy.<BR><BR>Two more months to go! YAY!<BR>

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:34 PM
nancy

Hi,<BR>We are just back from having our<BR>wedding on Trunk Bay and honeymooning<BR>at villa Argonauta on St. John.<BR><BR>Wow, what a beautiful perfect honeymoon/wedding. Villa Argonauta<BR>exceded all our expectations. Views<BR>to die for. Convenience to town and<BR>northshore beaches. Privacy. Perfect<BR>villa to rent. <BR><BR>Their website is www.lime-coconut.com<BR>under the 4 bedroom listing. It is<BR>worth it even for only 2 people because<BR>of the spectacular views and close<BR>proximity to town and northshore<BR>beaches. I can't rave enough about<BR>it. Also, hire Chef Shay Mulcare<BR>for the most spectacular dinner cooked<BR>at your villa. He was wonderful.<BR><BR>If you want more details, I'd be happy<BR>to answer any questions. For villa<BR>review and my indepth comments go to<BR>the forum on USVI online.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Nancy<BR>