Villas in St. John

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 10:26 AM
Donna

Villas in St. John

Are the villas in St. John as nice as they look on the web-sites? I have always stayed at resorts in the past and have this horrible fear of planning for months, getting there, and finding out our accommodations are terrible. Am I being paranoid? Have not narrowed it down at this point but L'Autre Monde was one of the places I liked the look of.

Old Oct 20th, 2000, 08:08 AM
Karen

Donna -

Yes, most of the villas are as you see them on the web sites. We have not stayed at L'Autre Monde but were considering it last year. The brochure we have is lovely. You may want to post this question on the www.wheretostay.com or www.usvi-on-line.com website where you will get more or a response than on the Fodors. We have gone to St. John 5 out of the last 6 years and absolutely love it. It is an absolutely beautiful, laid back island so different from St. Thomas and only a ferry ride away. The snorkeling, beaches, and hiking are superb. I would not recommend The Westin; the Caneel Bay is quite nice, but pricey. There are some great condos that people have recommended highly, Gallow's Point being one of them. We have always stayed at villas and they are priced according to the number of individuals who stay there - not a set price based on number of bedrooms, which we have found to be somewhat unique. Therefore, a villa is affordable even if you are only 2. Most of the villas seem to have pools, which is a wonderful way to start or end the day at the beach. If you need additional information, Donna, don't hesitate to contact me. Do, however, take a look at the other websites for postings and loads of information on St. John.

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 06:36 AM
Donna

Karen,

Thanks for the advice! These are really active boards!

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 11:54 AM
waggie

We stayed at Sea Wind (cateredto.com) a few years ago -- our first villa experience. We were kind of nervous but the villa was even better than the photos we'd viewed on the net. We had only GOOD suprises! Book your trip and enjoy!

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 11:09 AM
Terri

Can anyone provide information on the Westin in St. John ?

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 02:16 PM
Ramona

My husband and I stayed at L'Autre Monde almost two years ago and we have made that one of our places to return to. It's absolutely beautiful!! I would highly recommend it. It looks exactly like the brochures. However, the pool is small, really only a dipping pool, but everything else more than made up for it! I highly recommend it! If you want any more details, feel free to e-mail me.

Ramona

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 10:54 AM
Deborah St Onge

Donna
I stayed at Star Villa on St John.
It was big,with a private pool and
two bedrooms. Very reasonable off
season. You can see it at Star Villas.com Great area and beautiful view! It was Private and
kept very clean!! We Loved it!!
Debbie

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 01:48 PM
felixlittle

i have to recommend the villas on www.caribbeanway.com - they are the best and have shown us the best service

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Amanda

As my husband and I planned our 7th trip to St. John, USVI we thought we'd try a different villa rental source for a change (we regularly stay at Gallow's Point- which we love).
While the caretakers in Star Villa were very nice, I, unlike Debbbie cannot recommend Star Villa in St. John. We recently stayed in "Starview" (one of the smaller villas in the Star Villa complex) and were unpleasantly surprised. The villa was in severe need of extermination - there were literally hundreds of ants. For an almost 3 week stay, there was "maid" service once- which consisted of washing the linens (not making the bed, mopping the floor, etc) and towels. My husband mopped the floor on several occasions to remove the dead ants (we went to the grocery store and bought bug spray). The furnishings are extremely sparce (including a broken sofa- you sit on it and sink down to the floor, and some scattered shells picked up from the beach arranged throught the house for that tropical effect). The windows did not close fully, allowing the cold air from the one air conditioner to escape. And, while a beautiful view exists from the bedroom, you must climb an extremely small and winding staircase to reach the top floor of the duplex, where the bedroom (and bath- with a shower the size of a small coffin) exists. My husband (who is 6 foot and 200 lbs) had to crowch to climb the stairs). Needeless to say, unless some serious renovations take place, avoid StarView.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Nan

We stayed at Argonauta Villa. Very beautiful. You can see it on
vacationsvilla.com. It's featured on their homepage. It's exacty how it is described even prettier inperson and very very private.

There are so many to choose from and I agree with the person who suggested you go on the USVI Online forum. Very nice people to help answer your questions. Good luck, you will love St. John. At least we did.

Nan

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Steve

Amanda, thanks for the warning. I'd be a suspicious about a lot of the rave reviews for villas on St. John and other islands. Especially when they rave about it like a brochure advertisement with no negatives listed. No brochure is going to say "wonderful views, BUT long drive to the beach, high crime area, etc etc". Even the nicest places have potential negatives, like not being located on or even near the beach, which is the case for so many of the "villas" of St. John. There are a lot of dumps and condos in the Carib listed as "villas" when they are anything but.