Search

Four Seasons Exuma

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four Seasons Exuma

Hi, I have been reading the various threads on the FS Exuma, and I read that most of the people posting message were traveling in April and May. To those of you that have traveled there most recently, can I get your feedback on the resort, now? Rooms, service, pool, beach (clean, food quality).

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Rose Hall in MoBay Jamaica, about 6 mos. after it opened and it was a disaster from beginning to end. Wrong room, terrible food for a RC, terrible service, etc. about 1 yr. after opening, other people I know stayed there and they said it was now up to RC standards. I was wondering if this is the same at the FS Exuma (growing pains, training of staff, etc.??)

Thanks for the input, looking to go late June or July.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Go to tripadvisor.com, there are some recent reviews that indicate that improvement is occurring. In my opinion it is dicey to go to a resort during its first year of operation. We loved FS Punta Mita, so Exuma is on our list, but not for a year or two.
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

I Looked on that board, and unfortunately, either some loved it or hated it. As is how it normally is, but I keep reading complete opposite ends of the spectrum. I totally understand that if you don't have a good flight, and bad weather, it will compound your experience and up to each traveler to make the best or worst of it, but just wondering how bad it really is.
I called the hotel and there is no construction going on and they are fully open.
Just wondering before I make the reservation. Peace and Plenty is a bit too sparse for us, and FS would be over the top for us, and there is no middle ground in Exuma but we really want to travel there.
Thanks for the advice and info.
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:53 PM

If you are going this summer or fall, there is a great deal going on right now where you get a free night as well as the lower summer rates. I think reviews sometimes are in direct relation to how much people have paid --this and the four seasons name led to very high expectations this winter which clearly weren't met. But the summer rates are much cheaper and the staff is probably more experienced so it's most likely improved. The beach is spectacular. One note -- there may not be construction going on at the resort itself, but all around it they are building villas and homes so it may still feel like a construction site. If you go, please post a trip report when you get back! Thanks.
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:57 PM

P.S. I went to the Ritz Jamaica in March 2003 and the service was fabulous, food was good, so obvious they improved dramatically. Have to tell you though, we thought the Ritz was great until we went to Four Seasons Punta Mita last month -- just incredible in every way and makes the Ritz look like a mid-range chain hotel. That's why we are hooked on Four Seasons resorts!
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Eileen. I believe it should be fine. Glad to hear the Ritz has improved as it should be.

If we go, I will post a report.

Thanks!
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:35 PM

I'm curious as to why you feel that Peace and Plenty is too sparse for you. We have been to Exuma 22 times and stayed at P&P at least 15 times. All the units have been renovated and they have some African suites that are lovely. No they don't have a beach but do have a boat that goes to Stocking Island twice a day and it's lovely. The original P&P used to be a sponge warehouse and the bar used to be a slave kitchen. A great gathering place for yachtsmen, locals and guests alike.
P&P is like a true Bahamian resort of years ago but updated. Four Seasons is out at Ocean Bight about 20 miles from Georgetown near Steventon. There is no tourist infastructure out there only the resort. At P&P you can walk to town, visit the locals at the straw market, and mingle with other tourists. P&P has a managers cocktail party on Mondays, guests cocktail party on Friday, Dance on Saturday. On Friday night you can also go to a BBque and dance at Two Turtles in town. For the adventurous there is Rake and scrape at Eddies Edgewater Inn believe on Monday. P&P also has a shuttle a couple of times a week to P&P Bonefish Lodge which I think is the best restautant on Exuma. There you can also watch Karen feed the sharks. The Palm Bay Beach Club is quite nice. Know a couple of people who were involved in starting it including Charlie Pfleuger who used to manage P&P. It is about 2 miles out of town to the west next to Coconut Cove and The P&P Beach Inn. My only problem is there isn't much of a beach at high tide and minimal at low. Haven't tried the restaurant at Palm Bay yet but am anxious to. Frankly I would pick Peace and Plenty over Four Season any day and it's a lot less expensive. The locals are friendly and wonderful people. For an interesting fiction/historical novel about Exuma try and find Wind from the Carolinas by Robert Wilder. You will understand why you see cotton growing along the road and the struggles of the early slaves/natives.
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:13 AM

Howard; I agree with P&P over 4 Seasons. P&P was started years ago by a family living in Cleveland, Ohio. I loved to mingle with the locals and felt part of the Bahamian culture. Is "Doc" still working there? I loved the tavern, with the murals and pieces of the original English Loyalist ship hanging on the walls. The complimentary boat ride to Stocking Island was great as well. Strolling through Georgetown, meeting the ladies selling baskets underneath the fig tree, the chickens "grazing" in the front yard of the government building, and stepping over a sleeping pig when visiting the Education Minister relaxed me a great deal. Robert
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Stan Benjamin and his wife ,Jean, from Cleveland have owned P&P for years. Stan is getting up in years and turned a lot of the day to day operations over to his son Barry. Stan has always been an active part of the Exuma community and given a lot back thru the benjamin Foundation. As far as I know Lermon (Doc) the doctor of libations is still there. Runs the pool bar during the day. Glenn from Two Turtles is the night bartender. No sure how many of the staff went to Four Seasons when it opened.
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Eileen, you said you had just come back from FS Punta Mita. I was thinking of going there this July with my daughter. Could you elaborate on your stay? For instance, how was the pool and beach? How were the rooms (they look lovely on the website, of course.)

Thanks so much,
Teresa
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

To HowardC:

My family has been going to P&P for 20+ years, I am fully aware of the resort, the traditions there, etc. Unless they have added TV's in the rooms, I prefer a good beach and not much else. I like to fall asleep to the news and watch the occasional movie if it is raining(only reason I like the TV in the room in the Bahamas). I don't like the fact that I would have to be out at Stocking Island and have to wait for the launch to get back. So therefore, P&P does not do it for me. Also, when I am on vacation, I don't like to mingle, just my preference, therefore I don't go on cruises. I have been to Harbour Island and loved it and have also stayed in a private home on Eleuthera and loved that as well, no one else on our stretch of beach for over a week! Don't need the FS "service or standard" but prefer something a bit better than P&P as far as beach, and away from town. Hope that answers your Qs about why I would prefer the FS over P&P.
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:46 AM

To Teresa --

Do a search on the Latin American forum for my report on Punta Mita, as well as see my review on tripadvisor.com titled "Heaven on Earth!" That should answer most of your questions. It's our new favorite place, just wonderful in every way. How old is your daughter? They are putting a kids pool in sometime this summer as the pool is not really kid-friendly. The kids pool will greatly enhance the pool experience for everyone and will be a great addition to the resort.
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Eileen, thanks I will do a search for your trip report. Having a hard time choosing between FS Punta Mita and FS Exuma. My daughter is 12 and adores big flashy pools, so I hope the new pool is open by the time we visit in July. But do you think July will be too hot in Punta Mita?? I've gone several times to the Caribbean in July and Aug. and the temperatures and buggy factor have been fine -- no problems. But I wonder about Mexico. Thanks for all your help.

Teresa