Ritz Carlton Trip Report Just Back

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Tracy

Ritz Carlton Trip Report Just Back

I posted my trip report on Jamaica and the Ritz Carlton and I know it is hard for people to get information on the Ritz -

But seems to be that mine was removed from the board?

Anyhow - anyone wanting to read my trip report - please email me and I will forward it to you.

I feel that Jamaica gets a bad rap and I wasn't confined to my hotel - I took a taxi - not a tour bus to Mobay as well as Ocho Rios and I felt safer than I do in Chicago. Every city in the world has their problems. I would definitely not recommend anyone goes to Kingston by any means - but you have to have street smarts whereever you goe. Chicago had the highest murder rate in the country last year - does that mean you are afraid to visit Chicago. Just as Chicago - the violence is mostly associated with people in the underworld (i.e. gangs- drugs - etc)

If you are a tourist - I wouldn't recommend that you drink too much and stumble around the streets late at night in any city. You are asking for trouble. If you are smart - Jamaica is a beautiful place to visit.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:50 AM
jam-man

Tracy,

It seems the thread within which you posted your trip report has mysteriously disappeared. Could you repost some of the highlights?
How far in advance did you make reservations at the White Witch restaurant? What did you have to eat there. Were you AI or did you pay a la carte? What were some of the prices you saw on the menu? How much is a Red Stripe at the pool bar?
How crowded was the Ritz? Full house or only partially filled.
Did you play WW? Can you tell a bit about the course? What kinds of things did the golf concierges do for you? Recommend clubs, give lines for putts?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Tracy

I made all of our dining reservations the week before we were to arrive. We were on the AI plan which I highly recommend - with their pricing - we spent about $300 per day on food and drinks (and that was on the low end). I am not a really big eater or drinker - so I could see how the bill could be much bigger per day if you are. Breakfast buffet I believe was $25.00 per person. Dinner entrees cost about $30 - appetizers about $10-13. Red Stripe was about $4.50. I don't think it is wise not to take advantage of the AI. We did not play golf but the course looked spectacular. The service all over the resort was pretty good so I would think that the golf concierges are good as well. I have heard information from people that have visited the resort shortly after it opened and they felt the food was horrible. I met a couple that goes every 2 months and they said from the opening until now - the food has gotten 100% better. I thought the food was wonderful.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Tracy

Sorry - I forgot to answer some of your questions -

I had a Rib-eye steak at the White Witch that was pretty good. I also had the Plantation Platter for 2 ($52 I think) which we shared and was Lobster Tail - Filet - Chicken - Jerk Sausage and vegetables. That was really good.

The hotel was pretty full - I believe they said around 90%. It is a large resort so it didn't feel overcrowded. I totally recommend the reservations though - otherwise they will probably be able to get you in at 6:00p.m. or 9:30 p.m. The desserts were fantastic at all of the restaurants. I had a really tasty pork chop with garlic mashed potatoes and vegetables at the Horizon restaruant which was really good as well. Jasmines had these really good Lobster Rolls and the Jerk Chicken Curry I really liked.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:09 PM
jam-man

Tracy,

You're the best!!! Thanks for the scoop!!!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:30 AM
Lori

Tracy-

I was planning on booking a trip at the Ritz. I am traveling alone and realize that the Ritz is probably a safe bet, but is it more couples or would you say mixed?

Also did you use the concierge for any out of resort activities?

Thanks.