Fodors community sends sand!

Feb 17th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Fodors community sends sand!

Message: Message: Hey all you travel buffs out there...a couple of weeks ago my daughter and I posted a message about collecting beach sand from around the world for her 3rd grade science fair. I have to say that the response was great! There are so many people out there that were willing to help a stranger. We have received 5 samples already and have about 10 that should be in the mail. She has been very excited to see the mail each day. More that anything, we are thrilled and see this as example of the goodness of people. You guys who are sending mail have taken time out of your day to take the steps needed to get that sand to us. We really appreciate it! Mr. Morton and Ms. McDaniel, we received your samples yesterday. They were GREAT! Thanks for the super descriptions. Well, we just thought that we would let you know how great the Fodor's folks are! God bless you all.
Feb 17th, 2005, 11:55 AM

VERY cool!

I can't wait to hear about how it goes. Be sure to post and let us know.

When is the fair?
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

it is March 11th. We will let every one know where all we received sand from. This has been a fun project!
Feb 18th, 2005, 11:26 AM

klas, I got your email and I have the sand, but it's much easier for me to mail it from the US than here, and I will be up there next weekend. So, I hope it reaches you in time!
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Havbe you gotten any "pink sand" yet, if not please let me know and I can send some from Harbour Island in the Bahamas.
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:56 PM

I should add that Harbour Island is the FIRST permanent settlement in the "new world", when Chris Columbus and the boys were on their world cruise, lol, Harbour Island is the second island they found, and several of the crew decided to stay on island, it was so beautiful.

Also the first gift made to Harvard University at the founding of the school was a boatload of lumber from the residents of Harbour Island.

A nice add of trivia to the sand for her class.
Feb 18th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

That is great info, I did not know that. We would love to have a sample of the pink sand. We have another sending sample from the Bahamas, but not Harbour Island. IF you would really be able to do this, please email us at lash5xATcox.net. Thanks!

Statia- thanks for getting the sand for us. If you mail it next week end that would be fine. We need to try to have all of the samples by March 4th, but the fair isn't until the 11th, so any time the week of would be fine. If we know it is coming we can save a place for it on the display board.

You guys are great! Thanks a lot.
Feb 18th, 2005, 09:39 PM

Do you also have a sample from the Long Island beaches, we could do that as well.

Let me know.
Feb 19th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

We do not have a sample from Long Island. We have some coming from Maine and Massachusetts, but not New York. That would be great. Please email at lash5xATcox.net. THANKS!

Search this Thread