Fave places to eat & see Bahamas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend & I will be spending 3 days in Nassau and 3 on Harbour Island. What are your favorite places to eat (mix of nice/pricey and local/cheap)? What are your favorite things to see and do (other than the obvious - scuba, snorkel, lay by the pool, etc.)? Anyone done any bonefishing at H.I.? First trip to Bahamas/Caribbean (Although I know that technically the Bahamas are not in the Caribbean just for you smartypants out there) and want it to be great. Thanks for any tips. Fodorites rule!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 09:56 AM

Hi, I lived Nassau for a year. Go to Travelers Rest Restaurant. It is a great place with good grouper fingers and warm white bread and great pina colada's that are pretty strong. Across the street is a nice public beach that is good for snorkeling. If you go a bit further east you will come to love beach this is also great for snorkeling and a very nice beach. For a romantic dinner go to Sun And..... This is a beautiful place with great food. It is an old mansion that they converted to a restaurant. pretty spendy but worth it!! Have a great time.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 12:16 PM
TG

Consider lunch or dinner at Compass Point - it is about 1/2 mile past The Travelers Rest. Food is top notch and the atmosphere is great.
We have stayed there 3 times and have seen Sean Connery there dining twice.
He has a home in nearby Lyford Cay.
Bon appetite!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 03:26 PM

On Harbour Island be sure to eat conch at Angela's Starfish. Also go to Ma Ruby's for a hamburger - legend has it this is where Jimmy Buffett meant when he wrote "the song".
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 07:22 PM

Dozer,

Where are you staying on Harbour Island? We will be there in late August and I CAN'T WAIT.

There are some really good restaurants on Harbour Island and some cute lunch spots as well. The best food on island is a Runaway Hill, so make reservations for dinner at least one night while you are there, (tell them Gail sends love).

There's also the Harbour Lounge (get the cracked conch there, best on island), Pink Sands has a nice restaurant on the beach, good lunch spot. Downtown there's Miss Mae's Tea House, and for breakfast go to Arthur's Bakery, Arthur makes the most amazing bread, my fav is the coconut. I get a loaf, and a few sodas at the Pigly Wigly and I head to the beach for the day.

The Landing is also good, right on Bay St, and a bit up the street from there is Valentine's also good for dinner.

Angela's is also great for lunch or an inexpensive dinner, and the conch salad there is great, as well as the cracked conch.

For bonefishing, ask any of the water taxis as you go over to the island, or go to the dock and ask. A local guide named Bonefish Joe, is very knowledgeable where the best spots are, so you might ask for him.

If you have any other questions on Harbour Island just let me know.

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Everyone - thanks for your tips. We will definitely check out the places you've recommended. Wantsomesun - we are staying at the Coral Sands. The Pink Sands looks great but more than we wanted to spend. We will be there 8/9-8/12. I can't wait as well!!!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 05:06 AM

Dozer, I would second Compass Point. We stayed there a couple of years ago and the food it quite good. If you're out and about for breakfast the Coconut french toast is amazing.

I wasn't fortunate enough to see Sean Connery, but we loved it all the same. Enjoy!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Dozer,

Coral Sands is very nice, they are right on the beach with a newly redone pool area and a nice cafe on the beach for drinks and lunch.

The restaurant is also very good and overlooks the beach. There is a common area with a TV, pool table and Red the bartender is lots of fun. Ask him for one of his specials or try a "Smash".

Have a GREAT time and enjoy the Bahamas.