Restaurants on/near Holden Beach, NC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting Holden Beach for the first time this July. Can anyone recommend some restaurants in the area?

We will have our two girls, 5 and 3, and my parents. We all LOVE fresh seafood and places where we can eat outside to catch the sunset. We would be willing to drive up to 20 minutes for dinner. Too much further would be pushing it with the kids.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:22 AM

There are a number of the seafood buffet type places @ Holden, but that is about it. Keep in mind the island faces South, so the Sunset will actually be over the end of the island. Of the places near Holden, & keep in mind none of these are 'on the island', but on the mainland are - The Provision Co. (overlooks the waterway). Get whatever the fresh catch is that day. From the Beach/Island cross the bridge @ take the first/immediate left down under the bridge (kind of). The street pretty much dead ends, into the parking lot. Bettys is OK, (can be hit or miss) but is better 'in season'. Leaving the Island go to the light, take a right, then take the next right, go until the road nearly dead ends & take a left. It is also on the Waterway. Cap'n Petes is the place to actually purchase fresh seafood & they have a restaurant which is a little more upscale but I've not eaten there. Depending on where you are staying on the island, please keep in mind it may take you nearly 20 minutes just to get off. If you don't mind a short drive, take 17 south down to Little River. The Parsons Table is right on the main drag on your left. Closer to a real restaurant w/both fresh seafood as well as other items on the menu. For the best ice cream, try the place by the Food Lion, they moved from the beach a year or so ago but it is well worth the drive. You might catch the Sunset best from The Provision Co. A drive to Sunset Beach is also well worth the trip if you have an interest in photographing the Sunset...Let me know if you need any additional info, I've only been going there a little over 40 years..
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Capt Pete's is the best on the island and is the only real "upscale" restaurant, but kids are very welcome. It's not cheap, but it's very good.

Friends, whose house we rent on Holden, told me the Betty's closed over the winter (to be replaced by condos). Too bad, we liked it.

For southern-style fried seafood, we were pleasantly surprised by the quality at The Seafood Barn just off island caty-corner to the Food Lion. It always seems full, so others must like it too. Homey, friendly atmosphere.

Have only been to the Provision Co. once for lunch and thought it was pricey (for Holden) for what you got. Was also annoyed by their $25 minumum for credit card charges (that's prohibited by the card issuers). But I can't recommend against it since we haven't been there for dinner and others speak well of it. Plus, it is on the water.

With your 20 minute driving limit (which I totally understand), you won't be able to go anywhere in the neighboring beaches (Ocean Isle, Oak Island).

There aren't a lot of options, so you may want to pick up the fresh catch at one of the local seafood stores (Capt Pete has one beneath the restaurant) and cook it yourself some nights.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Oooh. In my recollection, Holden really doesn't have all that many restaurants, and as has been stated, isn't the easiest for the sunset. The Barn - off the island - has been around forever and is usually good (though I used to love Betty's clam chowder - sad to hear it's closed), but the Barn can get crowded. Of course, with so few places to eat, I believe that they all can get crowded in the summer evenings.

Since the sun will set around 8:30 in July, why not go to dinner early and walk the beach after dinner for the sunset?

If you're willing to drive for good seafood, then get the kids to nap in the car and head to Calabash.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We had a wonderful trip. Just wanted to report that Provisions was great. Their shrimp burgers were awesome.

Captain Pete's restaurant was great. Had the pan fried flounder with mango chutney and crab cakes. Yum! We also bought fresh fish and shrimp to grill on our own one night from them.

Betty's is still open but was not so good. The only person who enjoyed a meal had the grilled grouper. Anything fried was horrible.

We also ate at a place in South Port one day called Fishy Fishy. It was really good.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Glad you had a good time, there is also a Provision Co. in Southport (btw). My family was just down there the past two weeks & they also mentioned Bettys' was not up to par. So, perhaps, Bettys' was just closed for the season which is pretty typical. They also said that fresh fish was hard to come by @ Cap't Petes. Wonder if they aren't catching anything, or if more is being reserved for the restaurant ?
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:22 AM

That's good news re: Betty's. Will have to give my friends a hard time for giving me bad info. We always order from the more expensive side of the menu (more fancy grilled items) and have been very pleased for the price. OK wine at cheap prices. I'm not surprised that the fried stuff is not great. We also always sit in the bar as the main dining room is pretty dreary and full of kids. Thus far, we've been able to avoid smoke. Knock on wood.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:27 AM

SAnParis: Just heard back from that friend of mine that Big Jessie, the guy who cleaned fish at Capt Petes, died of a heart attack a couple of weeks ago. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:14 AM

That is too bad, my daughter loved him...
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Yes, he passed while we were there. They were closed almost all week.

We saw the Provisions in South Port but did not know if they were affiliated.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:33 AM

ttt for pcg
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

topping for d...

Also, we took the ferry from South Port to the Aquarium. The kids loved the ferry ride and the aquarium was great.