El Yunque Rain Forest

Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

El Yunque Rain Forest

Anyone been to El Yunque Rain Forest in PR?
Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:47 PM

Yes.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 06:48 PM

to statia: i am laughing hard here in maine
to little: no doubt some better posters will chime in soon
s: still laughing, how is it you get to live where you do?
Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:02 PM

Yes. El Yunque is beautiful and you'll like it. You should go.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM

Virginia, I was honestly not trying to be funny, but I wasn't sure what else to add. If the OP has more questions, I'll be more than happy to answer.

We get to live here because of my DH's job application some thirteen years ago (or was it maybe longer than that?). Of course, after nearly 10 years on my duff, he finally managed to put me to work, too.
Feb 4th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I didn't post more questions. (I'm a little new to this)
I'll be going on a Royal Caribbean cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in May. The El Yunque tour is definitely something that I'm interested in and I was wondering if anyone knew a little more about it. Is it worth the trip? Any suggestions i.e. What to bring, etc.
Thanks for the response.
- Michelle
Feb 4th, 2005, 07:27 PM

I've been to El Yunque a couple times. The best was when we went with a friend who lives in Puerto Rico and knows the rain forest well. He pointed out things we had not even seen on our previous visits. Definitely wear good walking shoes or sneakers.
Feb 5th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Michelle, don't worry about being new. It takes all of us a little time to get used the the forums and the best way to get the answers we're seeking.

I did the tour a few years ago with a tour guide and it was very nice. I'd say we spent about three hours in the forest. I would suggest taking the tour that you are planning and wearing comfortable shoes and clothing as suggested above.
Feb 5th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Do you think it would be too tedious to lug around a backpack that contained maybe a pair of water shoes and a towel?
Feb 5th, 2005, 09:33 PM

No, I wouldn't think so...not at all. Especially if you are on a guided tour. I actually had a day bag with me (to carry stuff for husband and daughter) on our tour, if I remember correctly. I am sure that a backpack or daybag would not hinder you in the least.
Feb 6th, 2005, 06:42 AM

There are several hiking or walking routes which are very nice. Stop in the first ranger station for info.

You can see the first cascade and viewing towers from the mainr road but for anything else you need to walk. The paths are not managable with a wheelchair or baby carrige.

Even if it is a rain forest make sure to take water and a dry change of clothes with you. It can be humid but the temperature is decent.

The walk down to La Mina cascade takes about half an hour and the path has many steps. It is beutiful and totally worth it.

The walk up to the cloud forest takes about an hour and a half. It is a bit more challenging and is totally awesome.

Just remember when you start hiking that each step counts double; you still need to come back
Feb 8th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the helpful responses.

Search this Thread