Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Puerto Rico - Help us make lemonade with a lot of rain

May 30th, 2019, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

My family, husband, myself, and two twenty-something children, are committed to a week long trip to Puerto Rico first thing tomorrow morning. I just looked at the weather forecast and the prediction is rain all week long. I am a little sad, because we will be on the ocean, etc, in Humacoa, and it was the only time frame we could work out when everybody could go.

I am looking for suggestions for rainy day excursions. We are fairly resourceful, and fortunately,all avid readers, but I'd like to have some ideas in my pocket.

Thanks so much.
May 30th, 2019, 07:06 AM

Many times, when it says rain, it doesn't mean an all day rain. You may still be okay.
May 30th, 2019, 08:07 AM

Don't fret just yet. Online weather forecasts for islands in the Caribbean, Puerto Rico in particular, almost ALWAYS, REPEAT, ALWAYS predict rain. If you checked them every day for a year you'd swear the sun never shines anywhere in the Caribbean. For Puerto Rico most of the rain they get falls up in the mountains in the rainforest, hence the name. In the lowlands by the beaches rain when it does come is mostly in the form of very brief, widely scatter showers that last minutes rather than hours. It is not unusual for it to sprinkle in one area and be bright and sunny 1/4 mile away. Stop looking at the weather forecasts as it willingly causes you needless worry. Pack plenty of sunblock you'll need it. For what it is worth, I lived in the Caribbean for 15 years and in all that time I've had less than 20 days that were complete rainouts and maybe the same number of days when it rained for more than an hour.
May 30th, 2019, 10:32 AM

Side trip to Rain forest. There is also a walking food tour in San Juan that was excellent. I don't remember exact name but I booked thru Viator. We did tour in the rain, and stops are close together so it was fine.
May 30th, 2019, 04:27 PM

Don't look at online weather forecasts before a trip to the tropics. That truly is my most helpful advice. It is not going to rain all day every day. People misinterpret the reports.
Jun 1st, 2019, 03:17 PM

rains also tend to past fairly quick.

i love your positive attitude...because it could be worse...like 6 loads of laundry ;-)
Jun 4th, 2019, 12:48 PM

Yes I agree, most of the time the rain is temporary, and doesn't last long, so just make sure you pickup a handy brolly.
Jun 5th, 2019, 12:26 PM

Usually, the rain begins after 12:00 PM, most commons after 2:00 PM. Try to setup your outdoor activities early in the morning.

Enjoy Puerto Rico!