Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What is with the weatherin San Juan? Everytime I check it's rain! Anybody been there very recently?

Search

What is with the weatherin San Juan? Everytime I check it's rain! Anybody been there very recently?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for SJ on Thursday for 5 days. I've been checking the forecasts on weather and intellicast.com and all I see is rain, every day for 10 days. WHen the forecast is rain ("showers", "t-showers&quot, does this mean rain all day, or just a passing shower??? Has anybody been there recently when this rain has been in the forecast? How bad is it?

If it is that bad, what are some rainy day activities? I can only hope that these extended forecasts are wrong (and I know many times they are).
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Sunnyboy

Forget the internet weather web-sites for the Caribbean, if you checked them everyday for a year you'd see they always show rain. That's because in the tropics it rains somewhere on any given island at some time, every day. The thing is the web-site don't tell you those showers are usually very localized, very btief and rarely interfere with anyone's vacation. While thereare no guarantees when it comes to predicting the weather you are more likely to need sunblock than an umbrella. Don't worry about the weather, you can't control it.

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 06:17 AM

when I went to St John I remember every time I checked it said rain too. People said forget about that thing! I did and went and it hardly ever rained. And even when it did it was a shower, or sometimes a downpour but never lasted the whole day. Don't worry.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Yes, do not worry about it. If you check on the weather.com it always says rain, literally everyday. Most days you will get a shower, but there is only one time I was there it was really rainy, but it was a tropical wave... I am sure it will be fine!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:32 AM

I agree the forecasts are generally wrong. What you can do for recent weather is check the local "reported conditions" from yesterday, last week, etc. You will find they never match what was forecast for that day prior. Generally the reports show drier actual conditions.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement. These are the answers I was hoping for.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Looking out my window it looks OK. It has rained two or three times today for very brief periods (10-20 minutes) and then it clears and you have blue skies for a couple of hours. Then it clouds over again. In a single word: VARIABLE.

In most summer days even if it rains and thunders in the early afternoon it will be only a short while before the ocean breeze blows it away.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Marigross, I'll take the 10-20 minutes of rain if the rest of the day is acceptable. We're off tomorrow, so we shall see.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 02:27 PM

Sunnyboy is 100% right. If it rains for 10 minutes all day, the radar will show rain. I lived in San Juan for 5 years and the weather is great. If it rains for 20 minutes it will soon be sunny. Trust me, you'll love the rain. There can be too much sun on that skin. It neeeds a break. SJ has like 350 days of sun per year.