Easy going side trips in Negril not requiring steep inclines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving in 1 week for Negril. Would love to paticipate in some sightseeing. Am somewhat restricted due to some muscle prolems. Steep inclines and lots of stairs are difficult. Love to walk as long as ground is relatively easy. We like water and land tours. Plannng to use Talk of the Town Tours as they have a good reputation. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:53 PM

YS Falls. You drive there, hang out at a restaurant/gift shop area for a tractor pulled jitney sort of thing that takes you through the YS ranch, maybe 10-15 minutes to the falls area.

The falls area has a large grassy area, a bar, a spring fed swimming pool, all very accessible. The falls themselves have a path along the side, you may or may not be able to get up and in there...but you can see the falls and swim in the pool for sure, and the drive is very scenic.

I've toured with TOTT a couple of times and they are great. They make it their business to find out what you'd like to do and see and do it - stop for fresh fruit or seafood along the way, check out a school or town, visit a beach, take photos, whatever.

Bamboo Avenue is near YS and a lovely drive as well.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 01:49 PM

En route to YS Falls, have TOTT stop at Scott's Cove for fish and bammy or Culloden Cafe for lunch or the 'pepper shrimp ladies' selling hot-hot-hot
boiiled with scotch bonnet peppers Black River shrimp in Middle Quarters, or Howie's 27 Pots along Bamboo Avenue.
Make sure you get out of the van and sniff around to find the best vendors
and interactions. Mr.and Mrs. Chambers
outside Black River sell at wholesale a wide variety of straw/rattan baskets,suitcases, etc. and a trip out to Pelican Bar (a short flight of steep steps but mobility-uncertain guests have made it with aplomb ) might be on your list.
a foodie)
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Liza---Thanks for the tip. Is this location near Treasure Beach {not sure of exact name) and if so is it something I could handle and is it worthwhile? Tivertonhouse---Food sounds interesting. I am printng your advice so I can show it to TOTT.Again, thank you also. If either of you can think of other places please let me know.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:04 AM

YS Falls is about 40 min. from TB and
20 min. from Black River. It's in a private estate that raises horses in
mountain foothills -- and agree with Liz that it a good destination for you,
considering restrictions. You'll travel out of Negril, thru Sav/Savannah La Mar, a bustling market town, taking the coast road through Bluefields/a good stop would be the simple Peter Tosh mausoleum site in Belmont. Sala and Sienna undoubtedly already know of all foodie places mentioned above. Most are roadside. If you're a crab fancier, Sister Lou's shack riverside in Black River might also go on your list. Culloden Cafe is the only real restaurant, pretty little seaside place with dining under a pergola of passion fruit vines or seaside -- across the bay from Sandals Whitehouse. Try the Thai-Jamaican coconut soup -- a favorite of Liz's, btw -- with good salads and pastries/baked goods, including an award-winning fallen chocolate torte.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 09:58 AM

^^^ what tiv said. Culloden is a wonderful stop if you want a gourmet sit-down meal on the sea, and I was pleasantly surprised by the prices - that soup was like $2, most entrees around $10.

Scotts Cove and the shrimp ladies and all that are more for food to take along with you to the falls or eat by the roadside, but also delicious.

TOTT will know them all.

YS is a good choice for folks who aren't up to long steep steps, climbing up falls or over rocks, etc.