Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Information on Dunns River Falls/Jamaica Shore Excursion

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone please advise what is involved in making the 600ft climb up Dunns River Falls. The RCCL website suggests wearing a bathing suit beneath casual clothes. I am not sure if this is because the casual clothes will get really wet or if the bathing suit is for the dolphin cove visit which happens after the dunns falls visit.

I would be grateful if someone could advise if it is possible to climb the falls without getting soaked through as I do not intend to use a bathing suit at the dolphin cove.

Also, how strenuous is the climb?

Can anyone recommend a particular shore excursion which includes the Dunns Falls?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 02:57 AM
SeeMeFly

Wear a bathing suit coz you are going to get wet!!!

Go the the cruisecritic message boards, under ports of call (also on the individual cruiseline boards) you will find masses of info on this excursion including photos.

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 04:57 AM

Hi JFK Buff: There is no way NOT to get wet.
They call it "falls", but its more like a series of waterfall steps that you must climb as you are being dumped on by the water rushing down them to the ocean.
It is VERY strenuous IF you complete the entire climb, and in my opinion, a good way to get hurt.
I did it once, just to say I did, but never again. It's not uncommon to see people slip and skin up their legs, etc. When we were there one woman fell and was taken away with a broken leg.
You're climbing up a bunch of slippery, wet stones and as the water hits you it can be very difficult.
Local guides will offer to lead you up and show you the safest way.
In fairnesss, they have set up a system of places you can exit along the way if you find it's too much for you. There is an area where you can rent lockers to put your dry clothes in while you are climbing.
The second challenge, after you have completed the climb is getting out of the area since you must pass through a small village of vendors who are not shy about stopping you to sell local trinkets, hair braiding, etc. They will not leave you alone, especially if you stop to look at anything they are selling.
In short, I'd say go and see it. The falls are pretty. If you want to try the falls, do, but take one of the exits on the way up if you think it's too much for you.
Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 06:35 AM

We've climbed Dunns River Falls a couple times and enjoyed it. I do agree that there are some inherent dangers, and you will probably get at least a couple bruises.

My strongest recommendation involving Dunns River excursions is to opt for the boat or catamaran version of the tour. That will take you directly to the beach and you get to skip the horrible market. (One of the families we sat with had their child pulled into booths by aggressive vendors - they found it a nightmare). The boat trip, however, is scenic and pleasant.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the replies. Based on the info I have obtained here and elsewhere we would only want to view the falls and then go to the dolphin cove.

Our shore trip would be from the RCCL Voyager. The way the falls trip is described it looks like you have to climb the falls. Does anybody know whether it would be possible to just view the falls and then be transported to the dolphin cove?

Thanks again
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 08:16 AM

My husband and I were on RCCL Mariner in early April and took the Peat Taylor tour of ocho rios- which included Dunn's River Falls. We had a completly different experience than the one that Hold described. Our tour guide was waiting when we got off of the cruise ship and took us directly to Dunn's river falls. Our group was the first to go up that morning. The park provided us with two guides who showed us the best way up. I did not think that it was strenous at all. I saw both small children (about 6 yrs. old) and older adults climbing the falls. There were some spots that were difficult, but the guides helped pull you up if you needed it. We didn't have any problems with vendors when exiting the park. We knew that they were near the marked Exit, so we walked out through the Entrance of the park.

I would highly recommend trying to climb the falls. It was the highlight of our trip to Jamaica. If you find it too difficult or not enjoyable, you can always exit it early. You will get wet, but it's like our Dunn's river guide said: "No Wet, No Fun!"
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 04:02 PM

You can walk the falls or walk the stairs next to it. I've done both. If you're in good health ... walk the falls (the water is cold but not unbearable ... I'm from Florida). The guides and other people walking the falls all help. I did use beach shoes that gripped the rocks. They advise that or tennis shoes. Never bare footed ... hope that helps.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:21 AM

very, very strenuous & dangerous unless you are very coordinated.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:19 PM

My DH did it (and never again), I took the stairs and kept up with him. Also, a couple of natural pools alongside where I could cool off.

I don't like the pushy sales (that poor child) but they are poor people and I try to buy something.

Had enough of Jamaica now and won't choose a ship with that port or won't get off anymore.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:30 PM
katybird

If you climb the falls you will get wet! We went with Peat Taylor Tours and arrived early before the crowds and even then there were quite a few people climbing. I am not athletic or coordinated and do not like cold water so I did not climb. I walked the stairs along the side of the falls. My husband climbed and did not find it terribly strenuous [HE is athletic and coordinated!}but the rocks are very slippery and there is some high stepping. Bare feet would make the climb treacherous. You DO need the water shoes. Tennis shoes will become very heavy when wet and I would not recommend them.He felt there really wasn't much thrill to it. I think it is just something you can say you have done.As we were leaving an ambulance was arriving. I am not surprised. If you are undecided about climbing you can check it out before deciding to venture forth. I looked...said NO WAY!

Old May 1st, 2004, 10:25 AM
cd

There were four of us who traveled together, took Peat Taylor's tour and all four climbed the falls. We are in our early 60's and had a blast! For sure you need beach shoes to grab onto the rocks and a good guide (that the park furnishes for tips) Our guide was great telling us where to step and taking pictures of us along the way. He had us hold hands in chain fashion. I did get an ankle bruise and very wet but we were all glad we did it.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:42 AM

Almost 20 years ago, when I was 8, I climbed the falls. And it is one of my greatest childhood memories. You get wet. You might get bruised, but it's wonderful fun. If you hate it, there are escapes, but if you don't try, you may be missing out on a wonderful, memorable, cherished experience! All the adults in the group that day feel the same..

And, Jamaica is a beautiful country. Yes, many of the people are poor but if you spend any time with the locals, you'll meet great personalities, kind people, funny... Our family is still in touch with one of the taxi drivers we had on our first trip there.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:15 AM

It was great fun. If you are nimble, try it. Use a local guide and remember to tip him. Use reef(water) shoes. Walmart has them for$6-7. Yes, you get wet. The vendors at the village are the same as anywhere else. Been to Santo Domingo?