Notices

Destination Suggestions Please

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Destination Suggestions Please

My husband and I are planning a 15 yr anniversary trip this September. We've been to Cancun, Hawaii, Jamaica, Puerto Vallarta, Carribean Cruise (St. Thomas, Bahamas, St. Marteen, etc.), and I am having the hardest time deciding where to go this time. I would like to stay at a luxury hotel (would consider all-inclusive), great beach/pool and shopping/exploring. I would greatly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Take a look at Secrets Capri and Iberostar Grand, both south of Cancun on the Riviera Maya. Both luxury hotels IMHO.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 04:05 AM
KVR

Since you're wanting to go in September, I would suggest Aruba or Curacao since it's out of the hurricane belt. Also look at St. Lucia or Barbados.

We've been to Mexico 3 times in an Aug/Sept. and sweated out bad weather and hurricanes every time. We would not book there anymore during that time frame.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Good point on weather. I have been to St. Lucia...about 20 years ago! I think that would be a great place to revisit. Any recommendations on luxury hotels?
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM
KVR

Here's a link to hotels in St. Lucia. We stayed at the Sandals Grande, which I do not recommend.

http://www.funjet.com/destinations/d...H&OAC=&plCode=
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 07:49 AM

Congrats on the anniversary! My wife and I have traveled nearly a dozen times to the Caribbean and have stayed in many luxury hotels. We almost always prefer smaller hotels and some of our favorites have been Cap Jaluca, Little Dix Bay and Maroma resort. However, I agree with the weather concerns. One of our favorite trips was a couple of years ago. We went to St Lucia and stayed at the Jalousie and then moved on to St Vincent and stayed at the Young Island Resort. Although I would not consider these to be luxury hotels, we loved them both - as much, in fact as the higher end luxury hotels we have visited. The Jalousie is a bit remote and you will need a driver to take you anywhere off of the resort. Also, some people have complained that the resort is a bit tired, which it is. However, the setting amongst the pitons is spectacular and i thought the hotel was a bargain for what it offered. St Vincent is a tough island to get to. It probably does not fit your bill as the pool and beach are small and the shopping is probably nonexistent. If you like rustic elegance, however, in a beautiful setting, this place is it! Potentially on the downside for you is that there is not much to do immediately on the island. There are a ton of neighboring islands that you can take side trips to. I thought I would mention it as your options are limited given the time of year you are going. BTW - we recently went to Cancun and I must say that we did not like it at all. It was far too build up for our tastes. If this is more in line with what you are looking for, then i would diffently pass on my recommendations and head to somewhere more developed (possibly Aruba?).
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:41 AM

Maybe consider Barbados for the September timeframe. While hurricanes do happen there, they seem to be less frequent than other locations.

Look at Sandy Lane - true luxury. Or Coral Reef Club....more economical luxury.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM

Grenada is a good bet, as it is out of the Hurricane belt, although there is always the exception! spice Island resort is on the Grand Anse beach & is an AI, but with wonderful food. We stayed there in January this year & can thoroughly recommend it, as it is handy for the town, supermarkets etc. We are going back to La source next year & they have treatments every day, which are very relaxing & even though my husband said he didn't want them, he had a massage or something every day! Haven't been since it reopened after Ivan, but think it will still be excellent. There is more entertainment there than Spice Island. Grenada is a very beautiful island
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM

Barbados is a great choice for a 15 year anniversary trip, but I would never do an A/I there. The restaurants are in the wonderful plus range.
It's a little bit longer of a flight, but there are many hotels to choose from with different price ranges.
Great beaches, lots of unique shopping and many places to explore and sightsee!
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Congrats! I agree with the poster that mentioned Cap Juluca in Anguilla, you may also consider Molihouanna or cuisinart resort in Anguilla. Anguilla is a very quiet and remote island; the beaches are breath-taking!!! Summers are very hot and humid. Also, meals at restaurants affiliated with these resorts can be quite pricey.

Take a ferry ride to St Martin (French side) for delicious cuisine at gourmet restaurants