Search

Excellence Resort advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellence Resort advice

Hi! Still hunting around for a great AI adult only resort for our 10 year anniversary! Has anyone stayed the varying Excellence Resorts? Our plan is to go in early October. We really want a smaller resort, but the Playa Mujeres looks really nice! Thoughts?!
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 08:12 PM
KVR

Haven't been, but have been researching. The Excellance Playa Mujeres is located outside of the Cancun hotel zone in the middle of nowhere. We have been there on tour drop off/pick up when we went to Cancun one time. If you want to go into Cancun for activities it can be an expensive taxi ride. I'm sure the hotel offers a shuttle a couple of times per day.

I would chose the Excallance Riviera Cancun, which is actually located in Puerto Morales between Cancun and Playa del Carmen just for location.

October is prime hurricane season. I would not venture to that area during that time. Never know about the weather and buying trip/hurricane insurance will not help for experiencing a bad vacation.

We have been to Mexico at least once per year since 2000. I find the pools way too cool to enjoy during the end of the year months. No issue with ocean temps though. I am finding that many of the hotels are now offering heated pools in the winter but only to the people who purchase their "Excellance" or "Royal" category rooms, which I find ridiculous. I would rather go to Cabo San Lucas, where most all the pools are heated there in the winter months.

For that time of year you would be better off in Aruba, Curacao, St. Lucia, Barbardos or Grenada weather wise. However, those destinations will probably cost 2 to 3 times more than Excellance and not offer any of the lux of those resorts.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks KVR! Our friends that will be meeting us, don't want to do mexico anyhow! So, onto another spot! Do you know any good adult AI in the Carribean (not Jamaica, and not super crowded resorts!)
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 09:25 AM
KVR

Here is a list of AI resorts in the Caribbean.

http://www.caribbeanallinclusive.com...ve_resorts.cfm

Galley Bay in Antigua

Cocobay in Antigua

Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort in the DR

Excellence Punta Cana in the DR

Rendezvous in St. Lucia

Palm Island Resort in St. Vincent & The Grenadines

Divi in Aruba

Couples in Barbados

Turtle Beach in Barbados

Tamarijn in Aruba
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been to Excellence Punta Cana. It is a wonderful resort on a great beach. It is about an hour ride from the airport.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 11:51 AM

St Lucia, Barbados and Grenada have high rainfall during October, not to mention the risk of hurricanes in Grenada and St Lucia. St Lucia has suffered over the past few years. The hurricanes have started quite early this year. Barbados is a better bet,

Barbados is all about the west coast. Couples and Turtle Beach are not in the best part of the island, the sea is rougher, beach very nice though & close to nightlife, the area does not have the glitz and glamour of the west coast.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:57 PM
KVR

In October there is no guarantee anywhere in the Caribbean or Mexico with regards to weather. You will always be taking a chance. The islands more South, you do have a better chance, but again not guaranteed. Always buy the hurricane/trip insurance in which you cancel your vacation for any reason, not just if your flight is canceled or your hotel closes.

The resorts listed above meet the OP criteria of a "smaller AI resort". Additional research on their part to determine which one best suits their need and expectations is required.

We travel every year the first week of November or the first week of December and never really had any issues with weather in Mexico or the Caribbean. The only problems we have had is getting in or out of the US airports do to weather there.