Couples Swept Away Vs. Sandals Negil

Jun 17th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Couples Swept Away Vs. Sandals Negil

How would you compare the two?
Jun 18th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Have only stayed at Swept Away - have been twice and loved it. It is very laid back - everything shuts down pretty early. The beach is beautiful and so big that it is never crowded. I have friends who like Sandals because they like the organized activities - there is no one at Swept Away to get you involved in activities (at least there wasn't when I was there) I think the crowd may be a little younger at Sandals too.
Jun 18th, 2003, 08:51 PM

From what I have read on the boards, the previous response is pretty good as far as a comparison. I, too, have only stayed at Swept Away and cannot post anything negative about it. Absolutely loved it. Fabulous in every aspect. You cannot go wrong there, unless you want a real organized, activity filled, social vacation. Swept Away is laid back and that was exactly what we were looking for. OTOH, SA had most every watersport available and plenty of activities should you choose to be that active...just nobody trying to whip up participation.
Jun 19th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for both of your posts. My husband and I were leaning towards Swept Away, your opinions have really helped steer us in the right direction. We have read many positive posts about SA. The atmosphere you describe is exactly what we are looking for. When did you visit SA? What room category did you have?
Jun 19th, 2003, 07:13 PM

We were there May of '02. We wanted a romantic honeymoon with nobody pushing us to do anything, but lots available. We stayed in an atrium room and highly recommend them. In the afternoon, you might get a shower, good ol' tropical rain that lasts for 30min to an hour, during the rain, I enjoyed sitting out on the wonderful verandah in the wicker rocking chair/chaise and enjoying beautiful tropical grounds.

The food was excellent. The only complaint I heard was a couple we met thought the food was "a bit rich". Feathers(gourmet restaurant) was very nice.

A really nice beach was also important to us and once again, SA REALLY stepped up to the plate on that one. It is raked every night and is gorgeous by morning. As you can tell, we loved everything about the place. SA was our first all inclusive and it sold us on the concept.

Any specific questions?
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:15 AM

Stayed at both and loved Swept Away. Once we had a garden room - get one away from the road - and the beach front are nice but not on the main path where everyone walks. There is no privacy.

Jun 24th, 2003, 01:53 PM

We had an atrium room and found it to be very private. I liked being on the ground floor so that they could deliver breakfast each morning to the verandah and I didn't have to get up to let anyone in. I assume they still include room service breakfast now that they are a Couples resort. It was "Continental" but had homemade muffins, fresh mango and papaya and a pot of the best coffee in the world.
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:15 PM

At Swept Away, it's possible to go to the beach and turn right and check out a ton of restuarants, bars and whatnot without leaving the beach. Not quite so at Sandals, it's further up and surrounded by other all inclusives.

Since most AIs have fairly lame entertainment at night, you might appreciate being able to come and go to the main beach's nightlife easily...without even having to put on shoes
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:12 AM

At Swept Away, the bars and restaurants are to the left, not right.
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:23 AM

I think we are going to SA in late September for our honeymoon! Everything I've heard about it is WONDERFUL. Does anyone here know how to get the best deal? Any good online agents or deals (like with Travelocity or whatever). Or, is it better to book each part yourself? We want to get a very private room overlooking the ocean -- would we have to get a beachfront one for that, or can you see the ocean from other rooms? Any specific buildings and/or rooms we should request? THANK YOU!
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Unfortunately, the most private rooms are not necessarily on the beach because people are also on the beach. The most private rooms are in the lush foliage. I have heard good things about booking at www.negrilonestop.com. I recommend also checking www.escapetoeden.com. I used them in april for a trip to Negril and they beat all the internet sites. You may get cheaper room rates directly through resort but the airfare is the tough part.
Jun 28th, 2003, 08:43 PM

The two times we went to Swept Away, we booked through unforgettablehoneymoon.com and got a price that was lower than SA's one free night rate. They threw in spa coupons and also got us a good deal on first class airfare.