Couples vs Sandals

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couples vs Sandals

Message: Trying to plan a honeymoon for my daughter. They would like to go to either St. Lucia or Jamaica. Have read a lot of posts recently about Couples Swept Away in Negril. They were sold on Sandals initially but we're looking for something a little less pricey. Anyone been to both and can compare for me? Their wedding is June 5.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Is Swept Away cheaper than Sandals? Then even more reason to go to Swept AWay. I think it is beautiful and the beach is great - they leave you alon there - no organized activites.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:45 AM

Swept Away is known as a far better hotel than Sandals. I stayed at SA and toured Sandals and I was so happy that we didn't stay at Sandals. Your daughter should consider Idle Awhile. I haven't heard a bad thing about it and the best part is you aren't stuck with the food of an all-inclusive. Apparently, the beach and the facilities at Idle Awhile compare very well to Swept Away, but it is cheaper because it is not all inclusive. Additionally, guests at IA have access to SA's incredible fitness complex. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably stay at Idle Awhile. We really splurged on Swept Away and the food was so bad, we felt it probably wasn't worth it in the end.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:27 PM

I stayed at Sandals in Negril and thought it was a very good resort. No major complaints at all. However from people I talked to Couples is better but is usually reflected in a 10 to 30% higher price.

If you can get the same number of nights: go with Couples Negril.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 07:38 PM

I have always found Sandals to be higher. Maybe Couples just had a price increase or something. I have yet to have someone explain how Sandals is better than Couples for the price. Swept Away provided us with THE perfectly romantic honeymoon.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM

We stayed at Swept Away last April while we attended a wedding at Sandals. We enjoyed Swept Away a lot more as it was more relaxing, romantic, and we thought private. If you want action, I'd go with Sandals. Prices seem to vary depending on what amenities you want. Since both are all-inclusive I believe and we weren't staying at Sandals, we (two of us) were charged $150 to attend the wedding at Sandals.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:29 PM

I stayed at Idle Awhile with my husband and thoroughly enjoy it. I have stayed at most of the Sandals resorts on the island and Idle Awhile is far worth the price. The rooms are great and you are at sixty second walk to the beach.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:24 PM

I was at Sandals Grande St. Lucia in 2002, and there were very few organized activities, just a schedule posted, nobody pushed you into anything or tacky recruiting announcements. It was beautiful and peaceful, lots of restaurant choices. Quiet at night. I've not been to Beaches, but would give Sandals a thumbs up.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Swept Away has it all over Sandals IME and IMHO.

Sandals Grande St Lucian is a large hotel, formerly a Hyatt. I stayed there for Jazz Fest 3 years ago and loved it but I was with girlfriends and not looking for a romantic hotel.

I have stayed at SCA 4 times and it is my favorite Caribbean resort for a romantic getaway. I have stayed at Sandals Royal, Dunns River, Antigua, Mobay and Beaches Grande Sport (the pits in my opinion). CSA is far superior unless your daughter is in her 20s and would like the hyped activity at Sandals.

I have stayed in several St. Lucian resorts and love the island but the beaches on Jamaica are superior and it is less expensive overall.

And I found the food at CSA to be very good.