Search

Considering Peter Island for Romantic Trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 11:06 AM
CGS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering Peter Island for Romantic Trip

This forum has always been so helpful to read in planning vacations, so I hope some of you may be able to help now too. My husband and I are planning a trip without our kids (the first in 15 years!) to celebrate his 50th birthday. As you're reading what we're looking for, though, don't think of him as a 50 year old - think of him as a 17 year old in a 40 year old body. We are coming from NY, and will have 5-6 days in May. We have been to the Caribbean many times, as a couple and as a family: St. John (twice - our favorite! Rented villas both times and loved it!), St. Thomas, Tortola, Virgin Gorda (just for the day), Grand Cayman (twice), Turks & Caicos (twice), Bahamas, St. Kitts. We particularly love the US and British Virgin Islands. Just love the feel of it - the hilly lush landscape, the snorkeling, the horizon dotted with other hilly islands, the sailboats, the stunning beaches. We are partial to going to one of the VI's and my husband is a little inclined to rent another villa on St. John, since we love it so much. I would like to do something that we would not do with the kids, both because this is our chance! and because I will miss them less that way. We are considering Peter Island for the following reasons:
1. The obvious - it looks beautiful! But that is true of many VI locations.
2. Word is the food is good. This matters.
3. The beachfront suites seem lovely and fairly private, which is important since this is a romantic getaway! I like the fact that they are literally right on the beach. They are running a special right now on these.
4. We really like the fact that there are Hobie Cats, kayaks and windsurfers (my husband is a big windsurfer) right there for your use. We are not into just sitting on the beach for too long and we love to get out on the water without paying an additional fortune for someone to take you! This is a big factor for us and we would use these every day.
5. It seems as if there is some snorkeling right from shore, although clearly it will not compare to St. John from what I've read.
6. We could, if we choose, go on a snorkel trip and/or my husband can go diving (he is certified, I'm not).
But I have a few worries - hoping some of you can help.
1. I have read things here and on TripAdvisor that make me wonder whether the rooms are well maintained. It bothers me to pay so much for a vacation and then have rusty faucets and other examples of poor maintenance. Some may think this is being very particular. I am, I admit it! Will I be disappointed? I do get the impression that the beachfront suites are better maintained and/or newly renovated. Can anyone speak to that?
2. I am wondering how available the Hobie Cats and other equipment are. Can you generally get them when you want them? I don't mind waiting a little bit if someone else has it out, that's just considerate. But are there generally enough to go around and do they let you take them regularly, or do they always have an excuse about why you can't?
3. Is the snorkeling at least halfway decent? For real snorkelers? Again, I know it's not Waterlemon and this is not a snorkel destination, but is it worth going out for a little while each day and looking for a turtle or other interesting life? Is there coral? Are there a fair number of interesting fish? Or is it just rock and a little fish here and there?
4. Are there mini fridges in the room so we can stock some of our own beverages? The fact that no beverages are included in the astronomical prices bugs me, and we will enjoy ourselves more if we can bring some beverages over from Tortola and have them whenever we like.
5. IS the food good, as we've generally heard?
6. I have read a few things about boating groups coming ashore and overruning the place. Are these isolated and/or outdated incidents or does this happen regularly?
7. Are there any hiking trails on the island? We like to explore.
8. This last one is quite subjective. We are very active and used to exploring (see above), on foot and by car. My biggest worry is that we will feel "trapped" on this one island. On the other hand, we only have a few days, we may get more into relaxing without the kids in tow, and it does seem like there is a fair amount to do in that short time, with the sports equipment, a little snorkeling, and maybe a boat excursion. Not sure if any of you can help with this worry, but if you can please do!
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Greetings. My name is Howard. I live and work on Virgin Gorda. My wife Irma and I run a property management company called Tropical Care Services. We rent a number of really cool villas. One house in particular is called Lan-Y-Mor Villa. It really is the perfect choice for a honeymoon. The house offers lots of privacy, great views, as well as high-end finishes and amenities. You can learn more about Lan-Y-Mor Villa on our website at www.tropicalcareservices.com/lanymor.html.

Irma and I are happy to help you plan your honeymoon. Please let me know how we can be of assistance.

Name: Howard Levenson
Web: www.tropicalcareservices.com
Phone: 284-495-6493
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 05:05 AM

Hi CGS, my husband and I stayed at Peter Island back in '04 and thought it was beautiful. We took their ferry from St. Thomas to Peter Island. We stayed in one of their ocean view rooms which are smaller then the beachfront rooms. If money wasn't a factor we would have stayed in the beachfront rooms. The grounds, food, etc. all very nice. The staff was very friendly and they do offer day excursions (at extra cost) if you want to. Being we were only there for a couple of nights we just stayed on the island, but you could do day trips to nearby Tortolla and the other BVIs.

If you are planning on staying there for a week and want to feel away from everything this is the perfect place. People that stayed there were either "nearly dead or newlyweds" as people say. Feeling trapped may occur if you stay at the resort for a while and do not venture out. I did snorkel from Deadman's Bay and it was good but not as clear as St. John.

Another alternative could be Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda. We stayed there this past October and truly enjoyed our stay. The staff was very accommodating and the grounds are beautiful. Plus you can go into town, the Baths, etc. Either resort I would recommend, it just depends what you are looking for. For a total escape I would opt for Peter Island.

Hope this helps - Susan
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 05:56 AM

I've never stayed at PI, but I've stopped there twice to snorkel from various daytrips in the BVI. The water was clear & beautiful each time but there wasn't much to see, at least where we stopped.

Have you thought about Biras Creek on VG? It might suit your needs, too. They're rated highly for food, and while their snorkeling might not be fantastic, either, they do have the Boston whalers for guests to explore all of the North Sound.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 03:31 PM
CGS
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful information! Anyone else?
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 04:04 PM

How about Meridian Club, Pine Cay- Turks and Caicos?
Snorkeling is not good from shore, but they will take you out as part of your resort price. There is an inland area of water they refer to as "The Aquarium" that is also fun to explore with snorkeling equipment. Beach and water are fabulous,just like the pictures on their website. Food is excellent and accomodations "Caribbean luxury" -screened in porch,ceiling fans, palpas for each room, indoor and outdoor shower, comfortable beds, fridge and abundant towels (no glitz).
It is hot, dry semi-arid so while you can explore, I prefer to walk miles on the virtually empty beach or read until the beauty of the water compels me to dive in.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 06:50 PM

We have stayed at Bitter End on Virgin Gorda several times and also chartered week long boat trips in the BVI twice. We have stopped at Peter Island both times (not talking cruise ships just personal charters) and we have thought Peter Island was beautiful. We didn't stay there so can't speak for the rooms but the grounds and beach were beautiful. While I chose to explore beach area, DH and others hiked and explored. Very nice running and hiking paths. What I think is nice is that the other BVI hot spots are relatively close by. You could probably arrange transportation to Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, and also explore around in boston whalers to surrounding isles. I love the BVI's, and don't think one could possibly be bored or trapped there, yet also exclusive enough to be very romantic and exclusvie at Peter Island.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 12:38 PM

Dear CGI,

I have stayed at PI twice for a week's time in the past 4 years and really enjoyed both trips. Our oceanfront room (much better than oceanview we had the first time, but you pay for it) had been recently renovated and was in excellent shape. There are mini-fridges in the room and large boxes of ice outside your front door. Not sure about water equipment question, but there was decent snorkeling at Deadman's and even better at White Beach. There's challenging hiking, a terrific spa, sailing/snorkeling trips several times weekly (to Tortola/the Baths) so I don't think you'd be bored. We found the food to be very good, especially breakfast. Views are beautiful. I think it's the perfect place for a romantic getaway.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 05:30 PM

CGS- do you read the BVI part of Traveltalkonline forum? If not, you would find some good advice and very up to date tips there. We are leaving for VG and Anegada in 6 days and they have been extremely helpful to me. Just a thought- have a great time.
PS Got a good laugh out of the "17 year old in a 40 year old body"- same age, understand exactly. Happy travels!
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 02:18 PM

Have stayed at both PI and Biras Creek recently. We had similar objectives /interests and rate Biras higher by a large margin. Food and room privacy are much better. Hiking trails on the property were more interesting. Exploring the North Sound in Boston Whalers for snorkling at various reefs and visiting nearby watering holes was terrific fun. Day trips around Virgin Gorda or to Anegada (our choice) also great. The spa at PI is great and main beach bigger and would rate higher but we shared it with a corporate outing one day. The second beach had good snorkling. In general PI has a less personal and more corprate feel in our view. Biras was a more intimate place typical of Relais & Chateau properties.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 07:26 PM

CGS. I live in the area, on a charter sailboat. I can try to answer a few of your questions. The hobies are generally available. I can not think of a time that I have been there when there were not boats to rent. You are right... the snorkeling that you can get to is just OK, and St. john is much better. In terms of hiking, there are trails, but the island is very small. You can hike the whole island in a few hours. I do not know the timing of your trip, but I would suggest a private charter sailboat. It sounds like that sort of vacation could provide for all of your needs.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 08:00 AM

We are going to Peter Island the first week in June. We to would have liked an Ocean Front room but price put us in an Ocean View upper for 7 danights. Because it takes a day to and a day back from NY we feel we need at least 5 or 6 full days at the resort. We like upper units so we have just that little bit more of privacy. I was lead to understand that all the Ocean rooms had some degree of renovation in the past 2-3 years.I hope so. We were in Biras Creek in 2006 and our room/vills my guess is may have been slightly larger than what we will have at PI. We found the breakfast and dinners at Biras to be very good but the lunches, which I realize we should not eat so much, were only fair with too many down at the beach (I think 4 out of 7 days we were there). The property is lovely and you sound athletic enough to talk the long walks to dinner, to the beach or to tennis. The property is very well appointed but very...very..spread out, too much for those at 55+, but they do give each unit 2 bikes to go alomg the roads with a few modest inclines.The beach is nothing like any of the Caneel Bay Resort beaches except maybe Honeymoon Beach. It is clean but not very wide nor very long for a stroll, if that's your thing.The rates that I saw last I looked were 10%-15% highter than Peter Island. The snorkeling is only fair with some good snorkeling in Oil Nut Bay and at the Baths but Peter Island gives guests a complimentary day trip to the Baths where the snorkeling is 60%++ as good as St. John.
We are hoping the guests are not "near dead" but in their 40+ even though we are in our 60's. A few honeymoon couples is always fun but at PI prices in this economy I would not expect too many even though it is the lower rate period.
We to have heard the Peter Island food is great though they do have a number of lunch buffets, not my favorite way, but in a comfortable dining room setting. I am happy to hear the water equipment is accessible. Back in 2006 there was not enough at Biras but there was just a change of ownership and by now it could have changed. Someone mentioned Bitter End Resort. I would not put either in the league with BE which IMO is a step below and caters to boaters since they have 20+ slips and we heard the food was not that good and folks from BE were coming to Biras to eat dinner while we were there.
As for snorkeling at PI we do not expect much but we will charter a sailboat for a day and go to Norman Island and the Indians which we hear are almost as good and some say better than St.John.The coat though is about $750 for 8 hours a pretty steep price.
I hope we will enjoy Peter Island and you will as well if you decide to go. If you do please put in a report so we know a few do's and dont's before we go.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM

@CGS----Hi! Did you end up going to Peter Island? We are considering going there for a few nights after a stay in a villa on Virgin Gorda. I have almost the same questions you posted and wondered if you did go and could answer them now.

Thank you so much!
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM

We were in PI in early June 2010 for 8 nights. The off the beach snorekeling is only fair but the marina will take you out to Norman Island and other spots that are good to very good, better than almost any off Virgin Gorda except for Monkey Point, for $60/person. In the slow season they sometimes reduce staff at PI and elsewhere but the equipment i.e. Hoby Cats are always available. The main dining roomif the A/C is working serves good to very good food for dinner. Breakfasts are fine. The rooms have been renovated and our room was in excellent shape. The service was good. We likely will not return only because we are such avid snorkelers that the Catibbean has really been so damaged by coralbleaching that we will continue visiting Belize and thailand and Indonesia and compromise on the food and endure longer flights. But, for snorkelers it has Biras beat. The food at Biras is a bit better.