Reload this Page >

Where to go for secluded honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Amanda

My future husband and I are planning a honeymoon in the caribbean in May of 2003. Can you tell me the areas that people would recommend that are very warm, little rain from hurricanes and quiet with nice and curtious service.<BR>Thanks.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Lacy

TURKS AND CAICOS---We are going there on our honeymoon in June. Lots of places to stay--We will be at Beaches--Really cool place and lots to do--and if you want to make your future husband happy--book a billfishing trip for a day

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Susan

Hi Amanda. I have a couple of suggestions if you are looking for really remote places. Cat Island in the Bahamas. We stayed at a place called the Hawk's Nest Resort and Marina. Has its own airstrip and marina. All inclusive since there are only a couple of restaurants on the entire island. We chartered a plane from Nassau. No telephones in the rooms, which are decorated with white wicker. Can use bikes or golf carts to get around the resort. Good food. Then there is Anegada, northern most of the BVI. Whole population of the island is about 200 people. Fly there from Tortola. The only resort is the Anegada Reef Hotel. Island is only 12-feet above sea level at its highest point and is surrounded by a treacherous coral reef, which makes for wonderful snorkeling. Few people have heard of or have gone to Anegada, but we loved it. Self-serve, honor system at the bar, good food and very friendly locals. We stayed in a room at the resort, but they also have two homes that can be rented on the property. No TV's or telephones there either. In October we went to Anguilla. While more built up, it was lovely. Loads of wonderful restaurants and a wide array of choices as far as accomodations. We stayed at the Carimar Beach Club and loved it. Small, reasonably priced and enjoyed cooking a couple of dinners in the fully-stocked kitchen. Just some ideas. Good luck searching. At all places we had ideal weather (even though we went in the middle of hurricane season) and just relaxed and enjoyed the scenery. Our next caribbean vacation is going to be Crooked Island in the Bahamas. We like to stay away from crowds and development. Good luck in your search. Susan.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Gina

Susan -- can you tell me more about Anegada? There's a villa on Loblolly Bay that looks really intriguing.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Gina

Susan -- can you tell me more about Anegada? There's a villa on Loblolly Bay that looks really intriguing.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Susan

Hi Gina. Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question. We really enjoyed Anegada. Very, very small island. In fact, you can drive around it in a matter of an hour or so. Keep in mind, that there is only a mile or so total of paved road on the island! The roads consist of powdered coral. There are lots and lots and beaches some more secluded than others. Some of the more frequently visited are Loblolly Bay, Flash of Beauty, Cow Wreck Beach. At all of these you can walk for hours and not see another person. While driving around, we discovered some little beach where we ended up going for two days straight. While there for six or seven hours at a time, we never saw another soul. Since the island is surrounded by a coral reef, very, very few people try to navigate their way, so there are very few tourists. Those who do navigate their boats through the reef drop anchor at the Anegada Reef Hotel, where they dine on the beach for either breakfast, lunch or dinner. Then they go back to their boats for the evening. Do not expect any nightlife. There is none. And do not expect a wide array of restaurants. There are fewer than a handful. The locals are very friendly and make every effort to ensure you enjoy your visit. There is no industry on the island. We met several Americans who retired on the island, choosing to get away from it all. It is approximately a 20 minutes plane ride from Tortola. The airport on Anegada is little more than a shed, but there is a taxi service on the island. Don't go expecting to see high-rises or lush landscaping. This is a remote island where drivers give way to cows and goats on the road and power outages are very common. The island itself is not pretty, but the beaches are well worth the effort. Lots of unmarked roads where you have no idea where they lead, until you end up on a beach! It really is getting away from it all. We stayed 10 days (from where we live to get to the island is an all day affair)and that was just perfect. It rained one day and we went in the month of October. If you are really looking to get away from people and civilization in general, I would recommend Anegada. If you want things to do at night, shopping or activity other than beach lounging, go elsewhere. I hope this helped. Susan.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:52 AM
linda

Anegada is very cool, but after 2 days there, I would go crazy. Remember- it's all coral reef- no vegetation except scrub, terrible roads, totally flat. Maybe spend 2 days there, then head to Jost van Dyke for a couple or St John. There are secluded villas and other places on VG and Tortola as well.No threat of hurricanes in May. We went on June 1, because the prices were WAY down then- something you may want to consider.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Lauren

I highly suggest the Aruba Grand. My husband and I went there on our honeymoon last June and were sooo happy. The rooms were large and the beach was great. We did not want to stay in a commercial place and found a new haven for future travel. We plan to return this year. Aruba has little rain. Good luck!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Shar

You may want to do some research into villa rentals in Virgin Gorda which is a beautiful island. For example, Leverick Bay has villa rentals with use of the resort's facilities. Getting there is usually by air from St. Thomas or from Tortola BVI.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:49 PM
CeeCee

We went to Grenada on our honeymoon and it was perfect! We stayed at Spice Island Inn and had our own private "plunge" pool attached to our suite with a seclusion wall. They will serve you all your meals there if you'd rather not get dressed for dinner. Food was fantastic and the island is very beautiful. We can't wait to go back!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Chris

Definitely Aruba. No rain, no hurricanes and much tranquility. Hyatt Aruba is the best.

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Maureen

I saw an article on a luxury boutique resort in the Caribbean Coast of Quintana Roo Mex. on Discovery.com-Travel Channel T.V. The resort is the Maroma Hotel--beach was filmed for the 10 best beaches in the world segment on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. Also recommended by several travel critics including Andrew Harper's Hideaways. Noted for gracious service and good cuisine. Website is mamorahotel.com. Listed in Fodors online destination guides. Approx. 40 mins. from Cancun on a glorious white sand beach with swaying coconut trees. Snorkling, tours of ruins, eco-tours etc. Not a busy area like Cancun. Just a thought. Good luck.

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Maureen

ooops--maromahotel.com

Old May 9th, 2002, 03:49 PM
hola

Maroma is lovely and means sumbersaults in Spanish from the winds creating all the whitecaps in the water. New large all-inclusive next door. Doubt that it would fall in the budget catagory especially compared to other Mexican destinations but delightful staff and lovely accomodations (don't stay in the Rosa building). Room 9 is the most requested room and most difficult to book because of its location.

Old May 10th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Peggy

What is the Rosa building? If you cannot get #9 do you have another suggestion?